Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 12:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Yes, it's clear your landlord is greedy and slimy, but I'm sorry to say that I think you're out of luck here. If your lease includes the deposit, the landlord can ask for it. If you have no evidence the damage was there when you moved in, you will have to pay for it. In the future, never move in without a walk through and take pics & notes and send them to the landlord.

Pretty unfair to make such a judgement based on the story given by a renter who chooses to not pay the deposit even though it's written in the lease it's required to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 07:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Pretty unfair to make such a judgement based on the story given by a renter who chooses to not pay the deposit even though it's written in the lease it's required to do so.
I'm referring to the LL's sudden desire to get the deposit right when (a) the OP just got a stimulus check and (b) is about to move. I think that's greedy and slimy.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:25 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
Quote:
I'm referring to the LL's sudden desire to get the deposit right when (a) the OP just got a stimulus check and (b) is about to move. I think that's greedy and slimy.
Really? We are talking about section 8 housing, if they are in section 8 then they most likely live hand to mouth and the stimulus money is most important. How callous can you be? The landlord should have collected any deposit up front. Really, the OP needs to contact someone that can help with some pro bono legal advice.

Old 07-04-2020, 09:06 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
None of us know if this landlord is "greedy and slimy" or not. They could actually be very decent landlords and maybe knew she had some issues upfront with getting the security deposit and was willing to give her time. And maybe this tenant has caused damage to the unit and the landlord now is wanting the deposit to fix those issues. Or they could actually be slumlords.....but we cannot make that judgment.

And last but not least....This renter knew there was a security deposit prior to renting it. It was part of the terms of the contract and just because she is Sec 8 doesn't exclude her from it. Other Sec 8 renters have to pay it as well.

We all have to realize that there is very little low income public housing here and thankfully there are still private landlords that will accept Sec 8. However if they continue to lose money due to damages, failure to pay etc then that is going to make a lot more people homeless because private landlords are not going to want to deal with it anymore.

It's a sad situation all around. I really wish the government would look into more programs that would help people earlier on (high school level) so that people can gain the tools they need to be more self sufficient in the future. And then have assistance for the people or families that have had an emergency situation and just need to get back on their feet again.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:31 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Really? We are talking about section 8 housing, if they are in section 8 then they most likely live hand to mouth and the stimulus money is most important. How callous can you be? The landlord should have collected any deposit up front. Really, the OP needs to contact someone that can help with some pro bono legal advice.
Callous? Me? I called the landlord slimy and greedy, not the OP. I understand that the stimulus money is important to the OP. ???

Old 07-06-2020, 10:15 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,596,869 times
Quote:
Callous? Me? I called the landlord slimy and greedy, not the OP. I understand that the stimulus money is important to the OP. ???
Sorry, I read it as you calling the OP slimy and greedy. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary