Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 04:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times

Advertisements

It sounds like Mr. Davenport knew full well the driveway was at least in part on Ms. Tyson’s property when he had it paved, and he had it paved it when she was out of town, and he admits to knowingly planting shrubs on her property. This all sounds like he did indeed “commandeer” her property, and I don’t think squatter’s rights would hold up, especially given the time frame. Neighbor’s shouldn’t just be allowed to bully neighbor’s out of property.

Yes, she should have said something at the time, but he shouldn’t have paved and planted on her property forcing her into a difficult situation of having to confront him after the fact which for many reasons could have been very hard for her. I feel bad for her and while I normally wouldn’t be rooting for a tear down developer, I hope they can work something out for Ms. Tyson’s sake so she can move on.

Also, bonus points for the use of “kerfuffle,” one of my very favorite words.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-04-2020 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 04:42 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This also likely means his work was not permitted, so he's now opened himself up to TOC taking notice of him and his property. I think he realizes he needs to get this taken care of so HE can sell one day.
He doesn't need a permit to pave the driveway or plant shrubs.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:06 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
He doesn't need a permit to pave the driveway or plant shrubs.
I would think even though it does not need a permit it would be subject to encroachment/setback limitations. I think in the TOC an uncovered driveway can only encroach up to the property line.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Oops you all are right it is 20 yrs in NC. I’ve read as much as 40 yrs elsewhere. But the fact that the guy occupied her property and she did not know it is a problem. If she had given him permission it would not be adverse possession. And, he can never actually keep the land unless he wins a civil suit. So she could sue him first then hopefully go into arbitration and get something out of it.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think he realizes he needs to get this taken care of so HE can sell one day.
That’s a good point that I hadn’t thought of that gives me hope that this will get worked out. And who knows, maybe the buyer will make Mr. Davenport an offer too especially if it’s one of the usual Cary developers that likes to gobble up places like that.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I would think even though it does not need a permit it would be subject to encroachment/setback limitations. I think in the TOC an uncovered driveway can only encroach up to the property line.
I don't think driveways are restricted to setbacks.
Many go right to the property line.
To relocate a curb cut for a driveway?
Definitely need a permit.

And all he did was pave an existing driveway. He didn't create anything.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:08 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Mrs. Tyson should have confronted Mr. Davenport before the concrete set up. I feel bad for her. Mr. Davenport looks like a creep

Old 07-04-2020, 06:39 PM

653 posts, read 221,672 times
Why didn't her realtor assist her in getting a proper survey when she bought the house in the first place? If her realtor did his job then, she could have rectified the situation then. Sad that it ended up this way now.

Old 07-04-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
Why didn't her realtor assist her in getting a proper survey when she bought the house in the first place? If her realtor did his job then, she could have rectified the situation then. Sad that it ended up this way now.
When she and her husband purchased in 1982, did they have an agent?
A buyers agent?

Old 07-04-2020, 07:09 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Sadly there is no way Ms Tyson is getting her deposit back or any compassion from Lennar Builders if she has to back out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary