Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 01:43 PM

43,285 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

He encroaches. She loses. Good surveys make good neighbors!

"Tyson wants to sell the Cary home she’s lived in for 37 years. "I just need to get in a place that I can get around better, I have a lot of health issues."
She has a buyer, who smartly got a survey, which shows an encroachment issue.
The problem, the neighbor’s concrete driveway, fence and even landscaping, stretches five feet into Tyson’s property."

https://www.wral.com/address-propert...rise/19171833/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
He encroaches. She loses. Good surveys make good neighbors!

"Tyson wants to sell the Cary home she’s lived in for 37 years. "I just need to get in a place that I can get around better, I have a lot of health issues."
She has a buyer, who smartly got a survey, which shows an encroachment issue.
The problem, the neighbor’s concrete driveway, fence and even landscaping, stretches five feet into Tyson’s property."

https://www.wral.com/address-propert...rise/19171833/

Mr. Davenport sounds like a real swell neighbor. If I were the potential buyer, that alone would make me ask for my deposit back and run far, far away.

I feel sorry for Ms. Tyson (who I suspect allows people to walk all over her a lot.)

Old 07-04-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Mr. Davenport sounds like a real swell neighbor. If I were the potential buyer, that alone would make me ask for my deposit back and run far, far away.

I feel sorry for Ms. Tyson (who I suspect allows people to walk all over her a lot.)

I don't know the particulars, but I suspect a history between the two.

And, she can fix this, at a cost, if she really wants.

Her house is under contract as teardown, and I may surmise that Mssr. Davenport has reservations about a $600,000 house going up next to his.
But, yeah. He sounds like a sweetheart, all right. Knowingly squatting on a weaker neighbor to claim her property.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:21 PM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
If this quote is accurate, "I do have a legal claim to the land," says Davenport. "The drive that I use has been here forever. It’s not like I have somehow commandeered this lady’s land, it was there", my knee-jerk reaction is that he should lose any such legal claims, and either be
  1. required to return the encroached land to the condition as before
  2. purchase the the segment and also pay the tax back 12 years for the encroached land
Then, can we just disbar his lawyer?

P.S. $260k for a teardown? "Location, location, location"

Old 07-04-2020, 02:48 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
She knew he encroached when he paved his driveway years and years ago....but didn't want a "confrontation". Then he continued it by planting on her property. Yeah, I'd be happy to lose my EMD over this. Some neighbors are not worth it at any price.

I deal with people like her every day - hate to say it, it's the southern way. Don't cause a stink but expect other people to solve your problems down the line. And usually they are not so easily solved.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:02 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
They should simply shift the property line. This is likely a case of adverse possession since he used her land notoriously and without permission and for a long time. Usually i think the time is 40 yrs in NC but I think he still might have a case here. Changing a property line between two neighbors is pretty simple. The surveyor can be paid to help with filing the paperwork.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:41 PM

634 posts, read 913,166 times
The lot in question, I believe, is roughly .31 acres. The lot appears to only be 75 feet wide. With shrubs, it's possible that he encroached on her land a good 10-12 feet - how far back who knows.

Note: I am speculating all of the above, and an not involved in the particulars.

This website implies evoking squatter's rights takes 20 years in North Carolina.

Yes, she should have taken action years ago, when the (probably slow but sure) encroaching started happening. I don't think her inaction(s) (if so) makes his action(s) morally acceptable or legal - but I've been surprised and wrong about these things many times.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
There's gotta be some sort of CD rule about using the word kerfuffle in a thread title....

Old 07-04-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncdust View Post
The lot in question, I believe, is roughly .31 acres. The lot appears to only be 75 feet wide. With shrubs, it's possible that he encroached on her land a good 10-12 feet - how far back who knows.

Note: I am speculating all of the above, and an not involved in the particulars.

This website implies evoking squatter's rights takes 20 years in North Carolina.

Yes, she should have taken action years ago, when the (probably slow but sure) encroaching started happening. I don't think her inaction(s) (if so) makes his action(s) morally acceptable or legal - but I've been surprised and wrong about these things many times.
20 years is right.
But, he has owned for 22 years.
And, I suspect he has used the driveway, paved or unpaved, the entire time. I.e., a record of use.

The curb cuts are over the property lines, so until he paved he likely already used her land to access. He would have had to relocate the curb cut to access the street without driving over the curb. Which one might argue would have been the right thing to do, ethically speaking.
His shrubs are large. Your "...good 10-12 feet..." is not too far off.

It is just a sad thing, to have this mess over something that was small and quite avoidable years ago.

"The neighbor told 5 On Your Side his attorney plans to meet with the buyer’s attorney next week."

That makes me hope there is a fix in the works. He owes the buyer nothing, but if he is willing to talk to them, perhaps they can come to a mutually agreeable resolution so the sale can proceed.
I.e., $$$, I imagine.

Old 07-04-2020, 04:19 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
This also likely means his work was not permitted, so he's now opened himself up to TOC taking notice of him and his property. I think he realizes he needs to get this taken care of so HE can sell one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary