Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichappens View Post
@NewUser - ironically, it is the Devonshire subdivision in which my parents live -- and we are even considering it ourselves, but as mentioned if we could find homes we like as much those in Devonshire that are at least a little bit closer to goings-on (especially considering the SOARING price of gas!), that would be preferred.

We are looking for a 2500+ sq ft, 3+ BR home (basically we need room for master suite, guest bedroom, office, exercise room, an art room, as well as the usual LR, kitchen, etc.) with at least half an acre of property.

As for price range - under $550k (and under $490k if there isn't already a pool there). Obviously, the less we can pay the better
You should have no problem with these requirements. We were looking for something in the upper $300K range, so you have a LOT more possibilities open to you. We saw some really nice houses just north of I540 on Creedmoor Rd (NC 50). I think that the cross street is Norwood.

For a map of existing subdivisions, try this trick. . . .

Go to Wake County's real estate data website:
Real Estate Search

Enter a street name in the Location Address field. Try "Norwood" for example, and select "Go"

Check the box for "NORWOOD RD" with the ETJ of "WC" and select "Go" again

Click on any of the blue account numbers.

Click on "Map" link on the right side of the blue toolbar. This will open a new window with a map of the property that you selected.

Use the zoom tool to zoom out one level (it's a magnifying glass with a minus sign. Select the tool and then click anywhere on the map)

Now you should see a "LAYERS" menu on the right side of the page. Halfway down, select "Existing Subdivisions".

Now you can use the zoom tool (magnifying glass with plus or minus signs) or pan tool (open hand) to move around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM

32 posts, read 189,063 times
Thanks NewUser! That is an awesome trick!! So silly that they don't just make that easily available for everyone.

I'm so happy to be here!!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,419 times
You might want to check out subdivisions off 6-Forks but North of I-540: Stonebridge, Chelsea. Also some off Durant between 6-Forks and Falls of Neuse: Crossgate, Sheffield Manor.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Welcome to the Triangle! I moved here from the Bay Area (SF and Redwood City) 6 years ago. I can't advise you on areas to live because I'm not very familiar with the Wake Forest area. However, with 540 somewhat nearby you'll have access to much greater areas (Durham/Chapel Hill). Access to downtown Raleigh will be compromised because you'll be a good 30 min or so from there.

I rented for a few years when I got here and purchased my house 2 years ago in an older Cary neighborhood. I love it and am happy to be able to afford to have a house here. I owned a townhouse in Redwood City but had to sell it after I lost my job in the tech downturn in 2001.

You're going to enjoy it here. The one thing I miss is the wide variety of excellent (and cheap) cuisine from around the world. Especially when I lived right in SF. There's just nothing here like that but the overall quality of life here will help make up for it.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:11 AM

32 posts, read 189,063 times
@EVERYONE - to be clear, I'm not fixated on living IN Wake Forest - I just need to live w/in 30 minutes of it so I'm still close to my family

@mfrank - thanks, I will look at those areas!

@lottamoxie - glad to 'meet' another bay area transplant and even happier to hear you like it here! I'm already missing bay area sushi, but the chinese food is better here and we even found a real NY style pizza place (something I never came close to finding in CA). since I'm a sushi addict, I hope I can find someplace fantastic! I'm gonna guess that my chances of finding cheap awesome burritos here are slim, though. I am going to miss SF food!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
There are 600,000 Mexicans living in NC and lots of Mexican restaurants. I am sure you can find cheap awesome burritos somewhere. We also have a large Asian community and lots of Asian restaurants. We even have sushi.

This ain't Mayberry.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Try Las Margaritas on Six Forks.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 AM

135 posts, read 412,632 times
My husband and I (early 30's) are hopefully relocating to the area later this year from Northern California. I'm both terrified and excited. I'm ready to leave behind the west coast way of life and embrace a new one but I will miss my weekend trips to Santa Cruz and SF, the food, the redwoods etc...
We actually live above Sacramento (up hwy 80) in a smaller town and that's sort of what we'll be looking for there....something near all the city amenities but not right in it. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it there! I'm a little concerned about the stereotypes that southerners seem to have towards west coast transplants. I've experienced it myself quite a bit. Have you had any experience with that since you've been there? I was hoping that maybe it's just been my bad misfortune so far

Old 05-16-2008, 10:52 AM

38 posts, read 145,522 times
Smile Transplant from N. California

Find a good realtor (that will work with you until you find the home of your dreams), take your time (getting to know the area, neighborhoods, demographics, schools, etc.) and rent for awhile if you have to. My two cents!

Note: We recently relocated from N. California (Roseville by way of SF Bay area).

Old 05-17-2008, 09:50 AM

79 posts, read 227,000 times
I grew up in Burlingame, all my family is still back in the BA. My husband is a Raleigh native, moving here in all honesty is not like living in the south. The majority of people are transplants....it's like being a native californian, they are a rarity!! I have not met a native here that hasn't been a delight. You may want to rent a while and explore the area to see what best fits your lifestyle. Best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary