Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Reputation: 597

Advertisements

When I use Google or MSN aerial maps, I see an odd-looking piece of land. It is just about at the intersection of O'Kelly Chapel Road and Alston Road. It looks like a landing strip. Does anyone know what that is? It doesn't look like a housing subdivision or a mall?

I know that the US Army Corps of Engineers is connected to Jordan Reservoir down in that area (maybe they own that land? I get confused between Lake Jordan Preserve and the Jordan Reservoir). Is it an Army installation of some sort?

It is such an odd-looking thingy from the air. I just can't figure out if it's highway construction, a landing strip, or just what.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 AM
bta
 
Location: Cary, NC
284 posts, read 1,885,201 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
When I use Google or MSN aerial maps, I see an odd-looking piece of land. It is just about at the intersection of O'Kelly Chapel Road and Alston Road. It looks like a landing strip. Does anyone know what that is? It doesn't look like a housing subdivision or a mall?

I know that the US Army Corps of Engineers is connected to Jordan Reservoir down in that area (maybe they own that land? I get confused between Lake Jordan Preserve and the Jordan Reservoir). Is it an Army installation of some sort?

It is such an odd-looking thingy from the air. I just can't figure out if it's highway construction, a landing strip, or just what.

Thanks.
Can you take a screen capture of the areal view and post here? I live near that intersection but I'm not sure what piece of land you're referring to. Nothing looks that odd to me on the satellite view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 AM
 
3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Reputation: 3977
cary Alston Road & O'Kelly Chapel Road - Google Maps

I don't see anything that stands out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
cary Alston Road & O'Kelly Chapel Road - Google Maps

I don't see anything that stands out
Oh, you all are angels! Using Dire Wolf's link, open it, and please pan to the left. It is a rectangular thingy with a round circle. Zoom out a little if you need to. The land has been cleared. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
 
3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
Reputation: 3977
cary Alston Road & O'Kelly Chapel Road - Google Maps

Looks like this is a road they are in the process of putting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
cary Alston Road & O'Kelly Chapel Road - Google Maps

Looks like this is a road they are in the process of putting in.
Pooh! I've tried three times to paste my link, but I keep getting the message "your browser and Live Maps are not compatible."

You mean, the road is rectangular in shape and divided into three sections? If you can, using your own link, pan out to about 1000 feet, and you'll see it. Go to the left like you're headed towards Hills of Rosemont. The square thing is divided into three sections, and in the top left corner, the ground has been carved out in a round shape.

I appreciate your trying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Can you take a screen capture of the areal view and post here? I live near that intersection but I'm not sure what piece of land you're referring to. Nothing looks that odd to me on the satellite view.
I tried to post my link three times - once with Firefox and twice with IE6, but it was a no go! You've probably driven right past it. Thanks for trying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
 
306 posts, read 1,306,264 times
Reputation: 352
I think you are referring to the Stonewater area. The rectangle is divided into three sections. The Eastern section is going to be the Stonewater Village Center (95,403sf of retail). The other two sections look to be residential.

You can use the Town of Cary GIS for more information. The 'Property Information' map shows current land use and the 'Development around Cary' map shows changes (rezonings, annexations, new construction etc). You have to zoom in quite close before some of the data appears. Use the 'identify' button to access site plans.

Town of Cary GIS Page (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/midept/gis/gismainpage.htm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
146 posts, read 691,025 times
Reputation: 103
Is this what you're talking about? cary Alston Road & O'Kelly Chapel Road - Google Maps

That's the beginning of the Stonewater development. the lines that create the 3 sections you see are the main roads of the neighborhood going in. The circle in the upper left corner is the beginnings of a traffic circle (which is now complete).

Last edited by autumngal; 04-29-2008 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: copyright issue, need link please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Reston, VA
965 posts, read 4,499,200 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBTA View Post
Is this what you're talking about? cary Alston Road & O'Kelly Chapel Road - Google Maps

That's the beginning of the Stonewater development. the lines that create the 3 sections you see are the main roads of the neighborhood going in. The circle in the upper left corner is the beginnings of a traffic circle (which is now complete).
Yes, Yes! This is it. Thank you so much Snowpea and MrsBTA. I'll use the link Snowpea supplied.

I've tried 8 separate times to get this image (both with Firefox and with Internet Explorer), and it just would not work for me. How did you do it, MrsBTA, please? If it's not too involved.

Thank you one and all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top