Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 07:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Why can't we just let people speak for themselves instead of making assumptions about how they might feel?

Personally, as an Asian, I was excited to see Andrew Yang run for president (even though he had no chance of winning). Asians in the US have the stigma of being smart, but quiet and not outspoken so it's hard for us to have a voice in the political system where it's about being the loudest voice in the room
But did you dance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 08:01 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
But did you dance?
You don't want to see me dancing

Old 07-15-2020, 08:01 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Why can't we just let people speak for themselves instead of making assumptions about how they might feel?
I’m not clear why you quoted me with that response. I made no assumptions. People can certainly speak for themselves, and I can respond. I stand by what I said. I of course was being cheeky about mandating people celebrate or dance, but if anyone has an issue with a black woman being on the city council or acknowledging the significance of that, they need to do some self reflection.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:28 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Good (but unfortunate) for them. But I see right through the garbage.

What other better way to keep us down than to salute us when we achieve?
In your eyes, Unfortunately.

Are there other Black residents or posters feel this way?
Does the Council Woman herself feel that way?

If the answer is no, then I would hold off on using “Unfortunately”

Old 07-15-2020, 09:23 PM

119 posts, read 81,262 times
Raleigh elected a black man as mayor 47 years ago and a white woman 43 years ago. Just food for thought.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:26 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
watched this episode tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4bmGekgE14

Old 07-15-2020, 10:07 PM

In an interview, the councilwoman acknowledged the importance of the moment and called attention herself to her race.
“I can honestly say I am a little emotional thinking of the historical impact of being selected,” Forte said. “Being Black and being female and being a person within the LGBTQ community — all those things make up the person I am.”

https://www.wxii12.com/article/ralei...forte/33329090
So with that, I think it’s safe to say she wouldn’t have a problem with anyone celebrating the fact that she, as an incredibly capable black woman, was selected and congratulating her for it.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:33 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodsonRamseur View Post
Raleigh elected a black man as mayor 47 years ago and a white woman 43 years ago. Just food for thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I don't know why people continue to make a big deal about stuff like this. To be honest such headlines really makes me feel like my people are too stupid to achieve an accomplishment so a big deal has to be made when we do. I'm really getting tired of this nonsense. To me, it's just another opportunity for a white person to have a feel good moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Obviously I can't understand your attitude and opinion, which is unnecessarily negative. A good thing is a good thing. Sheesh.

Celebrating an individual's achievement is simply NOT a negative thing. It just isn't. And its incredibly sad that you view it that way.
Admittedly, as a white dude, I may not get it. And I don't mean to take away from Forte's achievement.

However, given the times we're in, I'm inclined to think that the reason she's the first Black Woman on the council has more to do with a lack of interested or compelling black female candidates for the position. It isn't a if she won Burr's senate seat.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Whites used to say they couldn't find any qualified minority candidates to hire for a position. I'm thinking like 20-30 years ago.

It's good to know that I can stop giving encouragement to a person of color when they achieve a life goal. I don't want to be condescending.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Admittedly, as a white dude, I may not get it. And I don't mean to take away from Forte's achievement.

However, given the times we're in, I'm inclined to think that the reason she's the first Black Woman on the council has more to do with a lack of interested or compelling black female candidates for the position. It isn't a if she won Burr's senate seat.
Uh...ok. Funny how it seems to be mostly dudes, especially white/"not black" dudes, that seem confused and even miffed by this.

Anyway, the council selected from 54 candidates, and I assume that was the vetted short list, so I don't think there was a lack of interest or compelling candidates. Good try though.

And if you mean historically that there haven't been interested or compelling black female candidates up until the year 2020, well that's sort of the point, no? One has to wonder why that is.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-16-2020 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary