Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 03:35 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times

Advertisements

That's a great picture. We must have them here somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 07:50 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Thought of this thread this morning. Someone about 2 miles from me posted photos on Nextdoor of a deer head, leg, and other organs laying in her yard.

Quite a graphic image to see first thing, but it's further proof that coyote are here and hunting.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:02 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Thought of this thread this morning. Someone about 2 miles from me posted photos on Nextdoor of a deer head, leg, and other organs laying in her yard.

Quite a graphic image to see first thing, but it's further proof that coyote are here and hunting.
While they are a bane on fawns, I think that yotes source most of their venison on the roadside or in proximity to it (deer is hurt and brought down.)

They're interesting creatures...I can't find the study but at times of the year they're nearly 100% vegetarian, gorging on blueberries. Other times they may feed heavily on fawns, etc...

Old 07-21-2020, 10:19 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
I was thinking of this thread and if there is any danger of them present in the greenways. I get it they may not usually go after humans but if there is a pack and a lone human.....

I also wonder if Mace would be effective in such a situation.

Never really thought about coyotes before, my irrational fear was always about bears, which were not uncommon where I grew up.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:20 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
Would you say being on a city lot (infill type lot) with a well-groomed landscape would lower our chances of having snakes?
We live in a large master planned neighborhood where landscape has to be neatly maintained and we have lots of snakes. Lots of people don't even realize they are here. I see them all the time because I love gardening. They like to lay in the grass, coiled up in a shrub facing the sun, on flagstone etc. Luckily I have not encountered a copperhead like neighbors have. The ones I have seen in this community are just the little brown snakes so I let them be. However for some reason they don't slither away when I tap the ground etc to get them moving along. They always seem to just move around in the area that I am in so I have to go work somewhere else for a bit or get a shovel and pick it up and place it somewhere else.

We also have our fair share of wildlife here. There are coyotes, lots of foxes (see them on my porch a lot via my security camera), opossum (which get a bad rap and really are quite docile creatures), hawks, owls, some snapping turtles etc.

I think anywhere you go you will have "something" that could potentially harm a small pet. I remember moving into our last home in the SF Bay Area. It had just been constructed and inside the construction waste bin was a dead wild boar that someone had killed! I knew about coyotes there but never even knew they had these wild pigs!

So please don't worry too much :-)

Old 07-22-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I was thinking of this thread and if there is any danger of them present in the greenways. I get it they may not usually go after humans but if there is a pack and a lone human.....

I also wonder if Mace would be effective in such a situation.

Never really thought about coyotes before, my irrational fear was always about bears, which were not uncommon where I grew up.
There have been three fatalities in the last 120 years.

Attacks are pretty rare, maybe a dozen or so a year nationwide. And Coyotes are small. You don't realize til you get up to one. When you consider how few many lone walkers are on the greenway trails, and how many Coyotes are in close proximity...They leave us alone.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:16 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Lots and lots of bears in NC, just not right where we are in the Triangle. We usually get a few passing through each summer and one of these days soon they are going to start setting up housekeeping. Friend saw some her backyard in Durham about a month ago. Mostly they tend to be large populations in eastern and western NC and not right in the middle. Mammals of North Carolina If you want to see bears, the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge is an ideal place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAHW96ZImqo

We do have feral swine/wild boar too. Mammals of North Carolina

Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Lots and lots of bears in NC, just not right where we are in the Triangle. We usually get a few passing through each summer and one of these days soon they are going to start setting up housekeeping. Friend saw some her backyard in Durham about a month ago. Mostly they tend to be large populations in eastern and western NC and not right in the middle. Mammals of North Carolina If you want to see bears, the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge is an ideal place.

They won’t establish around the triangle or Triad since the WRC has it baked into their management plan that hunters can take them during a very generous bear season. Legally one has a longer bear season around the triangle than they do in the areas Of the state known for large bear populations. Every other year they take one in Wake, Johnston county. I believe that 2018 saw one taken at either Harris or Falls game lands in Wake County.

They do that on purpose since it’s a lot cheaper to keep them out than relocate problem bears if they become established like New Jersey deals with.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

There was just a bear here on the west side of Cary. They are closer than we think.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Actually the biggest dog predators here have been other dogs. Had a chihuahua killed and a couple of dogs hurt by other dogs. The chihuahua was sad - a pit bull came over an 8 foot wall to get him. The owner had no idea the pit bull was capable of getting out of the backyard over the wall. The small dogs owner was close by but could not get there quick enough.

We have coyotes though never more than two in a group. But they do not come over the walls...they apparently have found out there are large dogs behind some of them.

Did have a road runner beat up my German Spitz. He climbed up my leg. But I do not think the road runner intended more than to chase him away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary