Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 28,787 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the input so far I am aware of the "dump" but we are looking more at the Sunset Ridge area in HS, which I beleive is far enough away so that it won't be an issue. Has anyone had a child in HS High?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 AM

38 posts, read 154,940 times
Had the same issue when we moved here 3 years ago; we choose Holly Springs, we just decided that a slightly further commute was worth having a larger lot; been happy with decision. It all ends up being personal preference, both areas are great

Old 05-01-2008, 10:22 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
It's getting a little crowded here -- would you mind scooting-over? To Holly Springs?

Actually, I think both have their pluses and minuses. Parents of young children have been unhappy with the school reassignments here, which seem to be done annually, but much of that could easily be attributed to the growth of the Cary area.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 PM

10 posts, read 50,002 times
We live in West Cary, and the Chicken is right. If you want a built up neighborhood with smaller land, but still significant homes, then West Cary (especially Cary Park, Amberley and others) is perfect, and the airplanes are just a part of life. I go days without noticing them, as we are a good 10 miles from the airport.

HS is really attractive, but inconvenient to certain areas. (We have friends who live there and commute to north Raleigh for work - Ugh.

It really depends on where you find the right house and where you will be living. If you need more info, them PM us.

Good luck.

CaryMom2F

Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
I would also pay attention to what activities your family is going to have. For instance if your children are doing gymnastics and you want to use a certain venue for that and are going to be driving it 3X a week being 30 minutes away could be a drag after time. So when looking I would search out things you know you will need in your lifestyle daily life first and then try to find a home around those things. BTW we live in HS In Sunset Ridge and we love the neighborhood. Moving to HS had nothing to do with price differences between Cary and HS. The nuclear power plant is not an issue (by living in cary I will gain another day or two probabaly less by suffering from nuclear fall out than by living closer I mean face it we are all doomed if it goes and the wind is blowing in the right direction) Landfill is not an issue either. Our reasons were pretty simple
1. We wanted to be away from airplane noise. Everywhere we looked in Cary fell under the flight pattern (Preston wood, Preston village, cary park, cameron pond, Hogans wood )the list goes on and on since we looked at about 50 homes before we bought one.

2. We like a more rural feel. You can't beet the beauty of the drive coming in on Kildaire Farm Road or Holly Springs Road when the trees are in full greenery or fall foliage. Stunning.

3. Many of the homes we looked at in parts of Cary and Apex had train noise. Plane or train....something we did not want to hear on a daily basis or nightly basis

4. We wanted a wooded lot of a decent size.

5. an easy commute for my husband

6. a social neighborhood

Happy hunting !

Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 PM

76 posts, read 265,163 times
Default Holly Springs High

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xlaxmom View Post
Thanks for the input so far I am aware of the "dump" but we are looking more at the Sunset Ridge area in HS, which I beleive is far enough away so that it won't be an issue. Has anyone had a child in HS High?
I do. It has really been great so far. She loves the school, the breadth of the classes offered and the activities. It is also only one year old, so the school itself is REALLY nice.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:06 PM

36 posts, read 153,236 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I would also pay attention to what activities your family is going to have. For instance if your children are doing gymnastics and you want to use a certain venue for that and are going to be driving it 3X a week being 30 minutes away could be a drag after time. So when looking I would search out things you know you will need in your lifestyle daily life first and then try to find a home around those things. BTW we live in HS In Sunset Ridge and we love the neighborhood. Moving to HS had nothing to do with price differences between Cary and HS. The nuclear power plant is not an issue (by living in cary I will gain another day or two probabaly less by suffering from nuclear fall out than by living closer I mean face it we are all doomed if it goes and the wind is blowing in the right direction) Landfill is not an issue either. Our reasons were pretty simple
1. We wanted to be away from airplane noise. Everywhere we looked in Cary fell under the flight pattern (Preston wood, Preston village, cary park, cameron pond, Hogans wood )the list goes on and on since we looked at about 50 homes before we bought one.

2. We like a more rural feel. You can't beet the beauty of the drive coming in on Kildaire Farm Road or Holly Springs Road when the trees are in full greenery or fall foliage. Stunning.

3. Many of the homes we looked at in parts of Cary and Apex had train noise. Plane or train....something we did not want to hear on a daily basis or nightly basis

4. We wanted a wooded lot of a decent size.

5. an easy commute for my husband

6. a social neighborhood

Happy hunting !

Thank you for verifying that the "a" word is a legitimate issue when chosing between these two Towns.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmowing View Post
Thank you for verifying that the "a" word is a legitimate issue when chosing between these two Towns.
We ended up all the way down by Lake Wheeler to avoid the "t"s and "a"s

Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmowing View Post
Yes THOSE neighborhoods have the "A" noise. But there are plenty in Cary that don't. MacGregor Downs, Macgregor West, Windermere, Lochmere, Almost all the neighborhoods off of Kildaire farm and off of Holly Springs Road, Regency Park, Penny Road neighborhoods. Ten Ten Road neighborhoods. SO we can't say that EVERYWHERE in CARY has "A" noise because that is just not true

Old 05-02-2008, 08:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Keep in mind we are all different, and you are asking others on a public Forum, no less, for their insight and opinions.

I live in the air traffic/flight zone(s) and while some complain of the airplane noise, I seldom hear it, and if/when I do, it doesn't seem to bother me. Others had complained about having to stop mid-sentence during conversations, and I must admit I stepped out-of-doors to talk on the phone -- just because it was so lovely -- and I did have to ask my daughter to repeat something. I am not, however, often sitting on the back patio, carrying-on a phone conversation.

You are doing exactly right by scouting-out different areas and neighborhoods, but not all of Cary is in the RDU flight path. It's a lovely place to be, but the schools' almost-annual reassignments do seem to be of concern to parents with young children. With the number of people moving to the general area(s) I don't see that changing much in the near future.

I do hear equally nice things about Holly Springs, especially from those who seek a more rural feel to the place they call 'home.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary