Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 03:41 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,120 times

Advertisements

Hackwriter, if you go to the shore for a beach trip, you're still NJ at heart. When you start going to the coast, you've become a local.

All in fun because the beach/shore/coast is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 04:02 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
Hackwriter, if you go to the shore for a beach trip, you're still NJ at heart. When you start going to the coast, you've become a local.

All in fun because the beach/shore/coast is fun.
I grew up going "down the shore" but I only use that for going to the Jersey Shore. If I go to the Delaware/Maryland/VA/NC beaches, I say "I'm going to the beach." I think it's only Jersey folks and Southeastern PA folks who say "shore" and it generally is just reserved for the Jersey Shore towns. I've never said I'm going to the Coast, though. Jersey is "the Shore" and the rest of the places are "the beach."

Old 07-27-2020, 04:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I grew up going "down the shore" but I only use that for going to the Jersey Shore. If I go to the Delaware/Maryland/VA/NC beaches, I say "I'm going to the beach." I think it's only Jersey folks and Southeastern PA folks who say "shore" and it generally is just reserved for the Jersey Shore towns. I've never said I'm going to the Coast, though. Jersey is "the Shore" and the rest of the places are "the beach."
This. I spend the summers with my grandparents in NJ going down the shore. Here, it's always been the beach. I feel a new thread coming on.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:53 PM

1,326 posts, read 722,570 times
Also, after reading about dawgs and cawfee here, I can't stopping channeling Mike Meyer's Linda Richman on Coffee Talk...where we tawlk about cawfee, dawgs, and dawters....I'm getting a little verklempt. Much to my kids dismay, I may be speaking like this the rest of the evening.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:01 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Also, after reading about dawgs and cawfee here, I can't stopping channeling Mike Meyer's Linda Richman on Coffee Talk...where we tawlk about cawfee, dawgs, and dawters....I'm getting a little verklempt. Much to my kids dismay, I may be speaking like this the rest of the evening.
Haha. My accent isn't nearly that bad...except for the dawgs part...

Old 07-27-2020, 05:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
I say coast sometimes, but it's more geographic, like the Coastal Plain. If I actually have plans and am going to the beach I say the beach. Coast and coastal are definitely doable in NC, though. Beach is for the vacay and is toes in the sand, waves crashing on the sand. Coast is like the wetlands, sounds, beach — the whole shebang.

Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabster View Post
My husband says that I have an accent but he's wrong.

:-)
How do you pronounce water?

Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Don't forget that many good Philadelphians will tell you that they plan to go don the shore.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't forget that many good Philadelphians will tell you that they plan to go don the shore.
Make that Don the showa.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:12 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How do you pronounce water?
Ice - long time no water
https://www.madmusic.com/song_details.aspx?SongID=21881
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary