Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 07:01 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
How long until Blueberries on Pizza becomes a thing?

Hey if it happens don't blame me! I was just asking for a friend
That is called fruit pizza - super yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 04:46 PM

598 posts, read 332,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
It must be blueberry season in Michigan now since that's what I'm seeing at the grocery stores as of late. Haven't sampled the ones I bought yesterday, so I'm not sure yet how they stack up to NC and NJ berries. I wonder if there are any Michigan blueberry diehards out there.
I got some of these Michigan blueberries from Harris Teeter a few days ago. Just tried them. Flavor is good. Size is all over the place - some very tiny and even a little wrinkly, some medium sized. Found one stray stem still attached to one. Overall, they are pretty good blueberries, and I would eat them again.

Old 05-30-2023, 05:42 PM

I am here to announce that New Jersey blueberries were available at my local Harris Teeter today.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Wegmans sell them!

Old 05-31-2023, 05:43 AM

Correction: I looked at the package more closely. They are not New Jersey grown blueberries. The blueberries were grown somewhere in North Carolina and distributed by Consalo Family Farms out of Egg Harbor City, NJ. I thought it was early for NJ blueberries!

Old 05-31-2023, 08:55 AM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I did not say produce, I said blueberries. For some reason, the soil in the southern part of New Jersey is perfect for growing blueberries. It is also the cranberry capital of the country; almost all cranberries you buy at Thanksgiving are there. I buy pints and pints of Cottle Farms blueberries every year, and while they are good, they tend to be more sour than the ones that hail from Hammonton, Glassboro, etc. in southern NJ. Same with the tomatoes. The soil there is very acidic and perfect for growing tomatoes.

There are things that grow best in different parts of the country due to the soil, weather, and other factors. It has nothing to do with being ignorant of farmers markets (which I go to regularly) or preferring less fresh food. It is about one specific item grown under optimal conditions elsewhere.
New Jersey isn't the cranberry capital of the country. I always thought my home state of Massachusetts was, but we're both wrong. The Bay State produces over 3 times the amount of the Garden State, and Ocean Spray has a processing plant in Middleboro, but Wisconsin produces over twice the amount of Massachusetts and also has an Ocean Spray plant. Who knew?

Old 05-31-2023, 11:57 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
I did not say produce, I said blueberries. For some reason, the soil in the southern part of New Jersey is perfect for growing blueberries. It is also the cranberry capital of the country; almost all cranberries you buy at Thanksgiving are there. I buy pints and pints of Cottle Farms blueberries every year, and while they are good, they tend to be more sour than the ones that hail from Hammonton, Glassboro, etc. in southern NJ. Same with the tomatoes. The soil there is very acidic and perfect for growing tomatoes.

There are things that grow best in different parts of the country due to the soil, weather, and other factors. It has nothing to do with being ignorant of farmers markets (which I go to regularly) or preferring less fresh food. It is about one specific item grown under optimal conditions elsewhere.
NJ is not the "cranberry capital of the country". Not even close. That title belongs to Wisconsin where more than half of the country's cranberry harvest comes from. Massachusetts is in 2nd (producing less than half). NJ is a very distant third.

I'd bet most of these "NJ everything is better" folks wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test for most products.

Old 05-31-2023, 03:03 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
How the Pine Barrens became one of the blueberry capitals of the world:

https://www.jerseysbest.com/communit...ries.%E2%80%9D

Old 05-31-2023, 04:29 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
NC ranks 7th among states in blueberry production. NJ ranks 5th. I believe any fresh blueberry from east of the Mississippi will be better than a blueberry brought in from the west coast.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:52 PM

70 posts, read 52,591 times
Quote:
Look, I've got nothing against Cottle Farms' blueberries. But I found some blueberries at Aldi a few weeks ago that were from South Jersey, and there is NOTHING like NJ blueberries. Does anyone sell them on a regular basis here, and when do they hit the stores?
I’ll stick with the M&Ms from Mars based out of Hackettstown,NJ!!check out Hawk Hill/Wendell Blueberry or depending on where you live there are a ton of local farms. I remember visiting NJ for a # of years for work back in the 80s in a place called Middletown where the farms had some great quality produce and brought back some good memories so thanks for posting……Local ,local check out the Produce box as at my job we get a nice discount but don’t use it being here at the beach now. I think it’s better than HT,Aldi Target…Do have to say the ****ty Kitty can surprise you produce at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary