Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:41 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Seriously who goes to these type of banks? Why would you put your money into a sketch bank when Bank of America, Chase, 5/3, heck even Wells Fargo are available although nowadays they can suck an egg but still? I don't get it.

Reminds me of the first time I was in McAllen, TX and saw the "International Bank of Commerce Bank" (and then another one, and another, and another, there's like a dozen there). It SCREAMS drug cartel money. I could picture El Chapo himself walking into the branch as I walked by.
If you're a small business owner, you can get fed up with the big banks very quickly. They don't want to be bothered with you. Most of the small banks are really looking for business customers although they won't toss you out the door if you're a consumer looking for a bank.

Businesses who use small banks had much more success getting PPP money than businesses that use big banks. At one point several of the big banks just told PPP applicants to go away. Seriously.

Wells Fargo has been a train wreck for quite a while. Some of the big banks are closing branches even in the absence of M&A.

McAllen is a strange place (https://nypost.com/2019/04/13/texas-...g-near-border/) and I wouldn't call it representative of small banks nationwide.

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 07-25-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 09:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Lots of people don’t want to deal with big banks and their fees and shady practices. Of course a credit union is a better choice for lots of people.
I dunno, I've been with my big bank for almost two decades and never once paid a fee.

Credit unions are amateurish in operation by comparison (I was at one prior) and as co-workers are now finding out the hard way, they can do some nasty things like call loans due if you lose your job and utilize cross collateralization.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
If you're a small business owner, you can get fed up with the big banks very quickly. They don't want to be bothered with you. Most of the small banks are really looking for business customers although they won't toss you out the door if you're a consumer looking for a bank.

Businesses who use small banks had much more success getting PPP money than businesses that use big banks. At one point several of the big banks just told PPP applicants to go away. Seriously.

Wells Fargo has been a train wreck for quite a while. Some of the big banks are closing branches even in the absence of M&A.

McAllen is a strange place (https://nypost.com/2019/04/13/texas-...g-near-border/) and I wouldn't call it representative of small banks nationwide.
I can't speak for the PPP but my big bank was always good to me as far as small biz stuff went.

WFC is a joke...what a bunch of lying scammers. I feel for the employees but the Corp should be dissolved. Too many bad actors.

It's crazy how quiet McAllen is. It's actually a really cute little town. But IBC definitely is built on drug money. It was so obvious haha.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:46 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Lots of people don’t want to deal with big banks and their fees and shady practices. Of course a credit union is a better choice for lots of people.
Elizabeth Warren is too left, though i like her being a watchdog over the biggest companies which could affect all of our lives by throwing us into another great recession.

This is her finest moment, when she called out former Wells F; CEO Jon Stumpf for his keeping the $200 million that he personally made from the fraudulent account openings which pumped up the stock price.

Love it, Love it. We need more of this:

https://money.cnn.com/2016/09/20/inv...ion/index.html

Old 07-27-2020, 12:51 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Seriously who goes to these type of banks? Why would you put your money into a sketch bank when Bank of America, Chase, 5/3, heck even Wells Fargo are available although nowadays they can suck an egg but still? I don't get it.
Nothing "sketch" about smaller banks. Same products, lower fees, better service and same FDIC protections.

The real question is, why would anyone bank with criminals like BofA and WF?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Elizabeth Warren is too left, though i like her being a watchdog over the biggest companies which could affect all of our lives by throwing us into another great recession.

This is her finest moment, when she called out former Wells F; CEO Jon Stumpf for his keeping the $200 million that he personally made from the fraudulent account openings which pumped up the stock price.

Love it, Love it. We need more of this:

https://money.cnn.com/2016/09/20/inv...ion/index.html
I think warren would make an excellent president provided we had a republican congress.

Like AoC she says a lot of truth that people find hard to acknowledge, and has a strong history with protecting consumers from big business.

Given the folks running, she was one of my favorite. Pete was #1. A smart dude who has a good head on his shoulders.

It a shame the folks that end up making it to the winners circle as so...meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary