U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:35 AM

9,829 posts, read 6,691,694 times

Advertisements

Like the thread-title says...

I have been working from home (WFH) since mid-March, it is mostly going well, and I love the freedom it affords me. I am fortunate as my work lends itself well to anywhere with an internet connection and a quiet space. (I am keenly aware that 'not everyone' gets this option, and I am thankful and appreciative.)

My wife's work requires she goes into the job, so when she has days off, I would love to give her some space to rest, relax and recharge. I get to do that when she is gone, but I'm "always home", so she doesn't get the same opportunity as often.

So with all that said, does anyone have experience with places they can work remotely?

I am less in favor of renting a workshare space (my job won't pay for it). I know some coffee shops encourage quiet working, and of course I'd make purchases to support the business. My work does require the occasional phone call or teleconference, all of which can be done with headphonse to minimize the noise and distraction for all parties.

Probably TMI for a simple question: Does anyone have suggestions of places to work from outside the house, for an hour or two, here or there?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Myghost; 07-23-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 10:45 AM

21,082 posts, read 31,605,451 times
if the McDonald's on High House and Cary Parkway is open inside (I think it may be for limited hours) then they usually have good wifi and it's got some little nooks and crannies that are quiet. Or it did before the renovation. Panera also has good wifi but can be noisy at mealtimes, but again don't know how crowded it's getting.

our pool has wifi too - too damn hot outside but if you have a neighborhood pool or belong to one could be an option when it's a little cooler or late in the day.

Last edited by twingles; 07-23-2020 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-23-2020, 10:57 AM

7,863 posts, read 6,000,981 times
I know this isn't helpful right now, but I used to go to the library for a change in scenery.

There's a free co-working space at RTP, but it looks like it's also closed:

https://frontier.rtp.org/coworking/

Unfortunately it looks like your only options now are restaurants/coffee shops.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:13 PM

2,356 posts, read 1,369,309 times
Not sure when it will reopen but The Frontier is good for this, but was getting crowded before CV19, a victim of its own success.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:46 PM

669 posts, read 341,697 times
Are you professionals who are working from home having to scrounge around to find a place with free wifi? Don't have a line into your domicile? You must have unimportant jobs.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:26 PM

14,420 posts, read 8,699,719 times
Even restaurants and cafes may be tough ... with social distancing, many have limited the number of tables that can be seated, so they may not look kindly on someone camping out for a while. If there's a demand for limited tables, they may want people to come in, eat, and get out.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:30 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,258,588 times
Can she not rest/relax with you in the house? Do you live in a studio apartment?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:38 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,830,570 times
WeWork has space it's just not free. Consider upping your phone to a hotspot then you could work from anywhere really.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:52 PM

9,829 posts, read 6,691,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
WeWork has space it's just not free. Consider upping your phone to a hotspot then you could work from anywhere really.
Good point, I have that capability. Thanks, and thanks to everyone who gave useful tips.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:08 PM

3,568 posts, read 5,957,941 times
I'd go sit inside Costco and use my mobile phone as a hot spot (unless you have to take video calls, then don't do that). You're not going to find too many viable options where it doesn't increase your exposure to COVID-19. But at least at Costco everyone is wearing a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary