Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

I am in Durham for the weekend and have narrowed my search down to two Apartment complexes after viewing them. I’m working in Mebane right off the interstate after my job moves down from Washington DC.

Which area would you pick in my shoes? I’m early 30s, not into the bar scene but love great food options. Are there any issues with crime in either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 02:58 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Is the apartment complex you are looking at around 55/54 The Heights at Meridian by chance?

If so....keep looking!

While that area is overall considered higher-end than the North Durham area you are looking in and those apartments are beautiful; I had one of the worst experiences ever with their management team.

South Durham would be the better option if you were working in RTP/wanted to get to Raleigh/other areas of the Triangle more conveniently. But the proximity of the area further north you are looking to both DT Durham and 85 for an easier commute to Mebane seems to make more sense for your scenario.

Edit just read the East Carver/Danube part.....meh.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Is the apartment complex you are looking at around 55/54 The Heights at Meridian by chance?

If so....keep looking!

While that area is overall considered higher-end than the North Durham area you are looking in and those apartments are beautiful; I had one of the worst experiences ever with their management team.

South Durham would be the better option if you were working in RTP/wanted to get to Raleigh/other areas of the Triangle more conveniently. But the proximity of the area further north you are looking to both DT Durham and 85 for an easier commute to Mebane seems to make more sense for your scenario.

Edit just read the East Carver/Danube part.....meh.
Nope, another complex in the area. Would you be able to elaborate on the meh? Any information helps.

Old 07-18-2020, 03:40 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Nope, another complex in the area. Would you be able to elaborate on the meh? Any information helps.
I’m not the person you responded to, but I’ll go ahead and give it a crack.

1 - There is a housing project not too far from there, but there are also quiet neighborhoods not too far down.

2 - North Durham in general (Especially North of the 85 corridor) has a reputation for being sleepy.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:44 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,427 times
You don't want to take I-40 west at the 15-501 (exit 270) because it backs up there from the merge from three lanes to two plus the on ramp. That's a hefty commute

I live in South Durham and love it, I'd look more west.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:37 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,487 times
South Durham here too. Love the area, but if I knew I was working full time in Mebane, I'd choose your North Durham location unless you're willing to endure more than 30 minutes each way during rush hour. I-40 needs to be expanded greatly to three lanes each direction from Exit 270 (15-501 at the Durham-Orange county line) to Exit 266 (NC 86 Chapel Hill Hillsborough), and there are usually slowdowns and sometimes full stops at Exits 273 (54 going into Chapel Hill) and 276 (Streets at Southpoint). And 55/54 is a messy, congested intersection at times as well.

In contrast, Danube and Carver are easily under 30 minutes most times, even with the additional stoplights you face getting onto I-85 west. There are rarely any backups on any interchanges on I-85 through Mebane, and though I-85 is two lanes each direction from Durham to Hillsborough, the traffic rarely is as congested as I-40 on any part between South Durham and Mebane.

Now, keep in mind a few other things worth considering:
1. North Durham is "old Durham," meaning more established businesses and neighborhoods, particularly as you go south of it into Durham's city limits. Coversely, South Durham is relatively newer developments that become more rural and remote just a mile or two south of where you're at.
2. Generally, it will take you longer to get to the Raleigh-Durham Airport and Raleigh and cities to the southeast from North Durham, although the completion of the East Connector to make it a nonstop highway between I-85 and the Durham Freeway should help some when it opens by the end of this year (hopefully).
3. If you're looking to do events in Downtown Durham, North Durham is more accessible time wise, but not much, especially for areas just north or south of the Durham Freeway.
4. If you still have family and friends you may want to return to visit in DC, North Durham will save you about 15 minutes drive time.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you and welcome to the area.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:55 PM

I ended up deciding on North Durham but I picked a different complex NW of Northgate just North of I-85. I felt a little better about that area after looking at crime maps comparing it to the original choice.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:56 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I ended up deciding on North Durham but I picked a different complex NW of Northgate just North of I-85. I felt a little better about that area after looking at crime maps comparing it to the original choice.
Good luck on your move to Durham, Dissenter. And welcome to the Triangle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary