U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 12:47 PM

819 posts, read 300,160 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking into a fairly highly ranked charter high school in the Triangle area for my daughter, and it looks like a good fit due to its focus and small size. However, I recently saw that it has a 72% graduation rate.

I just don't get how a school with such a low graduation rate could be ranked highly among local schools or even keep its charter for that matter. Even not so good regular public high schools in the area have a significantly higher graduation rates.

I don't have any experience with charter schools though, so I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing. Does this number really mean what it appears to, that 28% of kids actually aren't graduating, or could there be some other reason for it like kids transferring out or something and messing up the data? And does this put their charter in jeapardy?

Thanks for any insight. This just has me a bit baffled.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-23-2020 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: me not be
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 12:56 PM

20,982 posts, read 31,450,306 times
Who ranked it highly?

Old 07-23-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Who ranked it highly?
Good question! I've seen it rated pretty highly on some of the school rating websites, although it dropped quite a bit on Great Schools recently like many schools did I think primarily due to equity/achievement gap issues. Not sure how reliable any of those are anyway. But the one that sticks out and the one that the school boasted about was a US News & World Report ranking for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-23-2020, 01:51 PM

12,283 posts, read 13,827,261 times
Without knowing what school you are talking about or how the graduation rates are tabulated I wonder if it could be something as simple as kids transferring out? Maybe it was a charter that added a high school more recently and started with elementary or middle school and the kids transfer out after 9th grade to get a more traditional high school experience?

Why not say what high school it is?

Old 07-23-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Without knowing what school you are talking about or how the graduation rates are tabulated I wonder if it could be something as simple as kids transferring out? Maybe it was a charter that added a high school more recently and started with elementary or middle school and the kids transfer out after 9th grade to get a more traditional high school experience?

Why not say what high school it is?
I don't know really. I had it in there at first, but it just didn't feel right, like I'm possibly throwing unwarranted shade. I'm sure folks could sleuth it out if they really wanted to, but I just didn't want to put it out there.

If it helps, it's only a high school and has only ever been a high school.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:44 PM

12,283 posts, read 13,827,261 times
Well if you don't want to say what high school it is and ask if anyone has direct experience with it. I'd look at the metrics at the NC School Reportcard (SAS) and see if it test scores are good and kids are college ready and judge based on that.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well if you don't want to say what high school it is and ask if anyone has direct experience with it. I'd look at the metrics at the NC School Reportcard (SAS) and see if it test scores are good and kids are college ready and judge based on that.
I checked the report card a while back and don’t recall seeing anything of concern, but I’ll check again.

Sorry, but I wasn’t trying to be cagey, and I wasn’t really asking for direct experience with this specific school, but I realize my OP might be confusing since I did originally write it with the intention of naming the school.

I guess what I’m really wondering is, more broadly, what could account for a low graduation rate at an otherwise seemingly solid charter school around here? A low graduation rate at a traditional public school would be a big red flag, but don’t know if there are certain factors that could negatively affect charter school graduation rates but that might not be a real problem.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:55 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,319,122 times
Looks like you are talking about Longleaf which is focused on Fine Arts.

If so it appears from the data on Great Schools that they have some work to do with disadvantaged students. They also had some issues with the state a few years back where they were accused of violating NC Statutes that are in place to ensure equity and inclusiveness.

I'm just guessing though since you aren't willing to divulge that info.

Old 07-23-2020, 04:17 PM

13,240 posts, read 21,245,065 times
I think that I am correct in saying that literally anyone can start the process to create a charter school. This would suggest to me that there's a certain buyer beware nature to evaluating them and their success, or lack thereof. Don't be snowed that being a charter school somehow automatically makes it better than a mainstream public school.
Pun intended, but do your homework!

Old 07-23-2020, 04:53 PM

20,982 posts, read 31,450,306 times
I'm guessing like poppydog said it has to do with kids transferring out but if it is Longleaf it may just be the nature of the beast - artist temperaments and all that Also agree with pp about the nature of charters in general. You have to be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: