Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 07:32 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,892,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I was raised going to AB/Bogue Banks. I don't think I ever went to Rocky Mount in my life until I was at least 21. I *think* you can see thee paper mill from the new 64 right before you get to 95? I could easily be confused.

I do distinctly remember going to downtown Wiltson in my mid-20's and looking at those big old houses (tobacco $ I assume) and being astounded at how cheap they were in the early 90's.
See, I grew up going the other way...Nags Head and Hatteras. My first trip to Morehead and Atlantic Beach was for Junior-Senior weekends...’69 and ‘70. I remember all the small towns along the old 64 to Nags Head. It seemed like it took most of the day to get there. Not sure about the paper mill now...just haven’t noticed.

I always liked the Raleigh Road section of Wilson with all the big houses too. We started going to Parker’s in the ‘50’s and my mom always commented about them as we went through. I would imagine tobacco money bought a lot of them. I miss going to Wilson. My wife and I would occasionally drive down and get hot dogs at Dick’s Hot Dog Stand. It’s in the Raleigh Road section, so we pass right by the old houses. Dick’s has been there since the ‘20’s I believe. It’s old Wilson for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 08:57 AM

13,661 posts, read 12,334,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I was raised going to AB/Bogue Banks. I don't think I ever went to Rocky Mount in my life until I was at least 21. I *think* you can see thee paper mill from the new 64 right before you get to 95? I could easily be confused.

I do distinctly remember going to downtown Wiltson in my mid-20's and looking at those big old houses (tobacco $ I assume) and being astounded at how cheap they were in the early 90's.
People forget that BB&T was headquartered there until 1995.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:14 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,559,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I always liked the Raleigh Road section of Wilson with all the big houses too. We started going to Parker’s in the ‘50’s and my mom always commented about them as we went through. I would imagine tobacco money bought a lot of them. I miss going to Wilson. My wife and I would occasionally drive down and get hot dogs at Dick’s Hot Dog Stand. It’s in the Raleigh Road section, so we pass right by the old houses. Dick’s has been there since the ‘20’s I believe. It’s old Wilson for sure.
I was thinking about going to Parker's this weekend but ended up trying another BBQ place in Wilson called Marty's and it was excellent eastern style barbecue (took it to the whirligig park and ate there)

Old 07-28-2020, 09:38 AM

4,552 posts, read 6,372,295 times
I was so disappointed in Marty's. Dry bbq chicken is a FAIL.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I was thinking about going to Parker's this weekend but ended up trying another BBQ place in Wilson called Marty's and it was excellent eastern style barbecue (took it to the whirligig park and ate there)
I know about it, but haven’t been. It’s owned by Lawrence Ellis...son of Bill Ellis, who owned and operated Bill’s Barbecue for many years. The place was legendary.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:31 AM

7,184 posts, read 6,765,946 times
Quote:
I know about it, but haven’t been. It’s owned by Lawrence Ellis...son of Bill Ellis, who owned and operated Bill’s Barbecue for many years. The place was legendary.
Until Tracy got her hands on it...

Quote:
I miss going to Wilson.
I miss Parkwood Mall.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:46 AM

11,207 posts, read 8,259,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubroach View Post
I heard somewhere that while Cary NC is a southern city basically everyone is a Yankee or Immigrant. Lots of people from the New York City Metro area.

I also heard that about fifty percent of Raleigh residents are from outside the south.

Is there any City of Raleigh neighborhood or community in the greater Raleigh metro area that has a more traditional southern culture? Where most of the residents grew up in the south. Chapel Hill? Wake Forest, Apex? Holly Springs? Morrisville? Knightdale? Garner? Fuquay-Varina? or Carrboro?
Practically thinking, the smaller the community, the more traditional it will be.

Why do I say that? Because the larger ones (Raleigh, Cary, etc.) got that way because people moved here. If you look at the smaller communities, they stay that way because people didn't.

So look at places like Broadway in Lee County, or Duncan Junction in Harnett. There are very few areas of Wake County that are not affected by the growth in our area of the last couple decades, and by default, they have evolved as their population demographics have shifted. If you want true-South, you'll need to find a place that has not been impacted, or has been minimally impacted by growth via relocation.

It's that simple, at least in my mind.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,477,802 times
Anywhere in Johnston County that isn't Clayton or that area between there and Garner, pretty much.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Until Tracy got her hands on it...

I miss Parkwood Mall.
Yep, Bill’s never recovered after the flood...and Tracy.

We went to Parkwood Mall often when we drove to Wilson to eat somewhere. We spent a lot of Saturday afternoons in Wilson in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

Old 07-28-2020, 12:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 6,765,946 times
Quote:
We went to Parkwood Mall often when we drove to Wilson to eat somewhere. We spent a lot of Saturday afternoons in Wilson in the ‘70s and ‘80s.
There's nothing at the mall now except Roses (where Belk used to be) and the movie theater. K&W Cafeteria just closed earlier this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary