Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 10:36 AM

715 posts, read 888,260 times

Advertisements

Triangle is doing a good job but by the beach that is a different story so when people come back just helps the spread. Need to have all in to get this under control.

1k deaths per day for 5 straight days country wide that is insane at this point and never thought I would see the country this divided on wearing an accessory that can help whether you buy it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
As far as Fauci goes, how do you know that the people he was sitting next to were not immediate family and how do you know he wasnt about to take a bite out of a hotdog or drink a soda and that is why his mask was down under his chin. You DONT know unless you were there, do you.
The pp wasn't there, but the issue was widely covered in the press. Fauci was sitting with his wife and "close friend," so not an immediate family member. He said he was dehydrated and sipping water although in the photo I saw, there was no water, and he looked to be talking and laughing.

Personally, I can't get worked up about it. That said, given Fauci's strong push for masks and some of the things he's said, he should have known better than to get caught at an event covered by the media with his mask down. Bad optics as they say as made evident by all the hysterics about it. Go somewhere private and sip your water and come back.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 07-27-2020 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: better spelling and grammar

Old 07-27-2020, 11:16 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
In our corner of Cary have only seen one or two people in any place I've been without a mask. Yesterday it was a Walmart employee wearing it under her chin. She was stocking shelves. A couple weeks ago it was an employee at Lowe's HI. Other than that everyone I see is wearing one (not going out all that much but that's what I see).
Mostly the same here. I'd say 80-95% of people are masked, depending on where you go and when.

That said, I found it funny when the PR lady for Wake County Schools was being interviewed about creating a safe environment for the kids to return to school, her mask was ill-fitting and you could see her entire nose (nostrils and all). Not the message they want to be putting out if their goal is to convince parents it's safe, and this was the PR Director. Too funny.

OP: It's "pretty good here" Could (always) be better, but could also be a lot worse.

I was in Mt. Pleasant, SC at the beginning of July. That seems like an eternity ago, but I don't recall feeling it was much different in either way....

Old 07-27-2020, 11:47 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Triangle is doing a good job but by the beach that is a different story so when people come back just helps the spread. Need to have all in to get this under control.

1k deaths per day for 5 straight days country wide that is insane at this point and never thought I would see the country this divided on wearing an accessory that can help whether you buy it or not.
UGH, have you observed that? Was tossing around the idea of a quick beach getaway, but will wait if that’s how it is.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:53 AM

179 posts, read 151,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I've been participating in this forum since 2006 and just now, with your post, I officially have my all-time favorite post... ever!

There's a couple of obvious flaws with the story, most notably being that COVID-19 simply isn't killing people in large numbers.
During the holocaust, around six million Jews were killed during a 4 year period, which comes out to about 125k deaths per month. This virus has been ramping up (doesn't appear to have peaked yet) over the last 5 months and we are already at about 650,000 worldwide (130k per month and increasing).

Some would call those numbers large. Not to mention these numbers don't take into consideration shortened lives (most serious diseases have long term effects on lungs a heart that shorten a person's lifespan), so we are comparing slow deaths to insta-kills.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I certainly don't dispute that there is life out there, somewhere.

But your connection to the virus, and listening to someone's theory in that regard, remind me somewhat of flat earthers.
Just for the record, the alien theory wasn't my connection per se, .. I was just relating the theory of the podcaster.

But, if we are in fact not alone, and our alien friends are determined to keep us from destroying our planet (as there has been much evidence of), wouldn't a manufactured virus such as COVID be a very slick way of reducing our footprint? And in serendipity or coincidence, it appears to be more of a threat to the the same group of folks that tend to be harder on the planet than those at the other end of the political spectrum? I'm talking about those for whom consideration for others doesn't come naturally, and those who take the attitude of "Ima do what I want cuz its a free country yee haw".

And then when you consider the virus is seriously disruptive to a lot of other, related causes... such as organized religion / grouping together in churches etc. Some of the coincidences, even if they are that, could not be engineered better by the top aliens in the universe.

Back in the 80s I heard some people call HIV a gay virus. Recently I've heard COVID labeled the redneck virus.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Just for the record, the alien theory wasn't my connection per se, .. I was just relating the theory of the podcaster.

But, if we are in fact not alone, and our alien friends are determined to keep us from destroying our planet (as there has been much evidence of), wouldn't a manufactured virus such as COVID be a very slick way of reducing our footprint? And in serendipity or coincidence, it appears to be more of a threat to the the same group of folks that tend to be harder on the planet than those at the other end of the political spectrum? I'm talking about those for whom consideration for others doesn't come naturally, and those who take the attitude of "Ima do what I want cuz its a free country yee haw".

And then when you consider the virus is seriously disruptive to a lot of other, related causes... such as organized religion / grouping together in churches etc. Some of the coincidences, even if they are that, could not be engineered better by the top aliens in the universe.

Back in the 80s I heard some people call HIV a gay virus. Recently I've heard COVID labeled the redneck virus.
I think you need to stop over analyzing things so much.

When I hear talk about "over population" I kinda laugh. The world (and US) has massive areas of landmass that are not inhabited right now. Only in a collection of a few, major cities is there a population issue.

No, I don't think aliens engineered this virus to "cull the herd".

Old 07-27-2020, 12:36 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
Quote:
The problem with our mask situation is because we don't make PPE here, the only masks that actually protect the wear are not available. So we're all stuck wearing masks that practically do nothing except stop spittle from leaving your mouth.
Which as noted ad infinitum is exactly how the virus spreads, which means wearing a mask stops the virus from spreading!

You truly still don't believe/understand that?

Old 07-27-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I think you need to stop over analyzing things so much.
lol... And thus spake you this, with consideration as to what I think YOU should do, as well? Or, in blissful absence of it?

Old 07-27-2020, 02:52 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post

My neighbors were visiting from the beach and they indicated similarly that the mask wearing at the beach was spotty enough that they were fearful of going to grocery store, etc, there.

In stores here compliance is pretty nearly 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary