Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM

24 posts, read 120,436 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the availability of special ed services in both the Wake & Johnston County schools? My son receives speech, OT & reading help here in the northeast. I am wondering if he might receive the same services in NC. Is it difficult to qualify for services? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Does anyone know the availability of special ed services in both the Wake & Johnston County schools? My son receives speech, OT & reading help here in the northeast. I am wondering if he might receive the same services in NC. Is it difficult to qualify for services? Thanks!
Hiya! Here is the link for Wake County WCPSS: Special Education Services

I need to give them a call too. My child is going to have her IEP review meeting very soon, so I'm waiting to see what the new IEP will be like before I call that number on the website. The last meeting they were talking about completely mainstreaming Little Miss, but I am going to encourage them to keep her on Speech Therapy. We will arrive in Cary in about 4 weeks.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 AM

27 posts, read 104,929 times
My Mom works with autistic kids in Florida, and one of her families is relocating to NC. They did a pretty thorough analysis of the services in the different counties and found that only Chapel Hill/Carrboro offered comparable support. Obviously autism requires is a different level of support than what you will need, but I thought I'd though this out there for some 'food for thought'. Hopefully there will be some good news on the counties you are most interested in. Best of luck.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 AM

35 posts, read 202,710 times
HI there! I am considering moving to Clayton from NH and was wondering what you have found about the special ed. services. My daughter has an IEP and receives speech and ot services, as well as reading and math instruction one-on-one. Thanks for any input!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,345 times
I live in Clayton/Johnston County (River Dell elem) and my son received speech therapy with a minor learning delay. The program is called the Exceptional Child program in Johnston County, so you know what to look for. The only public preschool here is for those that qualify, my son did and has excelled in the program. He's just finished Kindergarten and is in regular classes with speech once a week now.

I am quite happy with the services. My older son had a similar IEP in NJ and I actually feel the services here are better and more attentive.

Lauren

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,253 times
Does anyone know of free Speech Therapy in Cary/Wake County? Isn't there an early intervention for children under 3? I can't find any info online, but the costs of private speech therapy even with insurance is so high...

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Just a word of caution about future Special Education services. We are in a tightening fiscal environment. Education is the singular largest area of state and local budgets. Salaries and Special Education consume a major part of those budgets. As government has to tighten more and more you will see cost containment in services. The stimulus money came with strings directing part of it to Special Education. When the stimulus winds down unless there is a surge in economic growth and resulting taxation all bets might be off. Unfunded mandates will be tested.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times
Default Services in Wake County

Reach out to Project Enlightenment in Wake County. They are exceptional at providing early intervention services for a wide range of special education needs be it OT, Sensory Processing, PDD-NOS or Autism etc... They have preschool liaisons, provide testing and diagnosis, and generally take your child through the IEP services. They have an on site school for those that are "at Risk" but they have another school for those that qualify and want to attend privately if you are so inclined. Beyond that, they do in class evaluations outside of the services they provide. These are designed to assist teachers bridge the gap with your child. They also do classroom observations, testing, and IEP development.

They are very caring, attentive and really work from the premise that early intervention is the best approach. They WANT to provide your child with the best services as quickly as their schedule permits. The teams are intelligent, articulate and highly educated. I have had two psychologists with PHD's as a resource and I have only been there twice. I can't say enough great things about them. Highly educated teams w/great skill and intention. Wake county is a good place for preschool services. I am learning about johnston county and how it compares. I will re-post once I have more information.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
I am planning on relocating in a year or two with my son who has ADHD autism and learning disabilities with an iep and occupational therapy we are planning on moving into the Clayton area and I was wondering what support system and how the schools rate there as far as special services my son will be going into the 7 th grade at that time.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Johnston probably has a worse program than Wake. Or they did in 2012 when we moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary