Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:50 AM

768 posts, read 616,808 times

Advertisements

I thought it'd be cool to do a list using travel times from the Triangle.

Less than an hour away (barely a day trip, extremely doable):

Hillsborough - Technically in the Triangle, close to Durham/Chapel Hill but further away from Raleigh. Very quaint, lots of history (old homes, etc.).

1-2 hours away (definitely doable):

Greensboro - There's actually a good of amount of sites in Greensboro, and it's not far from the Triangle at all, especially from Durham/Chapel Hill. Civil Rights museum (Woolworth's lunch counter), Guilford Courthouse Battlefield, Greensboro Science Center, Wet 'n Wild Emerald Pointe, etc.

Winston-Salem area - Winston is a little further from the Triangle, but it's a great area for history and outdoor activities. Old Salem, Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock State Park, Mount Airy ("Mayberry"), etc. I really like the Winston area because it's close to the mountains.

Pinehurst - An "old money" resort southwest of the Triangle, known for golfing. Very laid back, with quaint shops and the famous Pinehurst Resort hotel.

2-3 hours away (longer day trips but still doable, might have to wake up earlier or get back home later):

New Bern - Small city near the coast, great for history buffs. The "birthplace of Pepsi" and home of Tryon Palace, New Bern was the capital of North Carolina before Raleigh.

Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach - Wrightsville is the closest beach to the Triangle, and Wilmington is a historic city with a nice riverwalk. The drive via I-40 is extremely boring but easy.

Charlotte - Offers a "big city" atmosphere, with professional sports (Panthers, Hornets) and shopping amenities. Some people take day trips to Charlotte just to shop at IKEA, for example. Carowinds, Whitewater Center, Discovery Place, NASCAR Hall of Fame, etc.

Richmond - Not as far as it seems, especially from Durham via I-85 (although it's a boring drive). The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is incredible, and I believe it's the largest art museum in the South. The entire Richmond area is great for history (especially Civil War) buffs. American Civil War Museum (Historic Tredegar), Virginia Holocaust Museum, Virginia State Capitol, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 07:02 AM

242 posts, read 149,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I thought it'd be cool to do a list using travel times from the Triangle.

Less than an hour away (barely a day trip, extremely doable):

Hillsborough - Technically in the Triangle, close to Durham/Chapel Hill but further away from Raleigh. Very quaint, lots of history (old homes, etc.).

1-2 hours away (definitely doable):

Greensboro - There's actually a good of amount of sites in Greensboro, and it's not far from the Triangle at all, especially from Durham/Chapel Hill. Civil Rights museum (Woolworth's lunch counter), Guilford Courthouse Battlefield, Greensboro Science Center, Wet 'n Wild Emerald Pointe, etc.

Winston-Salem area - Winston is a little further from the Triangle, but it's a great area for history and outdoor activities. Old Salem, Pilot Mountain, Hanging Rock State Park, Mount Airy ("Mayberry"), etc. I really like the Winston area because it's close to the mountains.

Pinehurst - An "old money" resort southwest of the Triangle, known for golfing. Very laid back, with quaint shops and the famous Pinehurst Resort hotel.

2-3 hours away (longer day trips but still doable, might have to wake up earlier or get back home later):

New Bern - Small city near the coast, great for history buffs. The "birthplace of Pepsi" and home of Tryon Palace, New Bern was the capital of North Carolina before Raleigh.

Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach - Wrightsville is the closest beach to the Triangle, and Wilmington is a historic city with a nice riverwalk. The drive via I-40 is extremely boring but easy.

Charlotte - Offers a "big city" atmosphere, with professional sports (Panthers, Hornets) and shopping amenities. Some people take day trips to Charlotte just to shop at IKEA, for example. Carowinds, Whitewater Center, Discovery Place, NASCAR Hall of Fame, etc.

Richmond - Not as far as it seems, especially from Durham via I-85 (although it's a boring drive). The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is incredible, and I believe it's the largest art museum in the South. The entire Richmond area is great for history (especially Civil War) buffs. American Civil War Museum (Historic Tredegar), Virginia Holocaust Museum, Virginia State Capitol, etc.
If you are going to mention Richmond, talking about Virginia places that are also in the under 3 hour range that we sometimes hit Williamsburg (Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, etc) and Smith Mountain Lake.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:57 AM

1,318 posts, read 1,530,248 times
Ditto Williamsburg, Old Salem and bird park at Scotland Neck.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,276,830 times
Any reason you left Boone and Blowing Rock off? Google maps says downtown Raleigh to downtown Boone is 3hrs flat.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:47 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,453,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Any reason you left Boone and Blowing Rock off? Google maps says downtown Raleigh to downtown Boone is 3hrs flat.
Was just about to make this comment.

I used to get to Boone from Apex in under 2.5 hours and from Chapel Hill it was just a bit over 2 hours. Boone is an easy and fun day trip.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:25 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,964,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Was just about to make this comment.

I used to get to Boone from Apex in under 2.5 hours and from Chapel Hill it was just a bit over 2 hours. Boone is an easy and fun day trip.
Ur speeding man it's at least 1.5 to winston salem and then an hour up the mountain o_O

Old 04-29-2021, 09:30 AM

768 posts, read 616,808 times
I appreciate the reminders! I don't think I'd go further than Boone/Blowing Rock on a day trip, but I've actually done it a few times so it definitely counts.

Colonial Williamsburg is a great option, too. I've never been to Smith Mountain Lake or Scotland Neck, I'll have to check those out sometime.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:56 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,249,343 times
I recommend all the state parks. Rather crowded on the weekend (check their site about full parking lots), but if you can get there early or doing the week, go for it.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:10 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,330,679 times
Seagrove is an hour and twenty minutes from here. you can visit different pottery shops on your own or go when they are having an event. While you are there, you can travel 20 minutes south to Star and visit Starworks Glass. They have verious festivals as well or you can just shop the gallery.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:09 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,715,115 times
I did a day trip to Ohio a couple Saturdays ago. 6 1/2 hours up
and 6 1/2 hours back. I know, doesn't even come close to the
criteria. More to show if you want something bad enough, it can
be done! Or in my case I knew it was going to be my only
chance for a good while to do it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary