Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 12:42 PM

104 posts, read 95,682 times

Advertisements

Our current apartment has a mold issue that is effecting our health and our landlord is being incredibly difficult.

We want to move somewhere with the absolute lowest risk for mold, so ideally looking for something that is new build that would be ok testing before we move in.

A rental that isn't an apartment complex (ideally a house, but maybe a condo, etc) would be ideal, but might consider a new build home to purchase if the price was right. Looking to be around $1,500 a month or less however we do it.

All that being said, what are some recommendations you guys have for new build properties?

Open to anywhere in the Triangle. We live in Cary now and like it, but open to Apex, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Raleigh, etc.

Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 01:04 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
If I owned a house and you wanted to mold test before you moved in I would run, not walk, to the next available potential tenant.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If I owned a house and you wanted to mold test before you moved in I would run, not walk, to the next available potential tenant.
I'd be running from you too if you're trying to hide mold and aren't confident your house isn't going to cause health issues to your tenants.

You're the exact reason me and my wife are sick right now.

Also, it's legally required when selling a house to pass a mold test, so not sure how you would plan to run from that.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:05 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
It's "legally required when selling a house to pass a mold test?" Please provide a link to your source - but I'm betting one of our realtors will arrive shortly to confirm or deny your claim.

Rentals are hard enough to find around here. Finding a house that is new construction, never been lived in is like a needle in a haystack. (And can't a new construction house have mold issues???)

Thinking of buying a home? Have you looked at what YOU need to buy a home? Like - can you qualify for a mortgage, do you have a down payment, etc? $1500/month including re tax and insurance isn't going to go very far. Maintenance, utilities, etc - the cost of home ownership may not be an option for you right now. Figure THAT stuff out now so if you cant buy, you can drop it and concentrate on a solution instead of chasing the unattainable dream.

I sympathize with you and your wife being sick. It sucks. But remember that being a landlord is a business - they want the best tenants they can get. Not just financially sound tenants; they want low maintenance tenants as well. You're throwing out a lot of signals that you're gonna be PITA tenant. The rental market is competitive. Don't make it worse for your family by getting an attitude and making demands. (Just my 2 cents, which you'll probably ignore.)

Old 08-14-2020, 02:06 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncus View Post
I'd be running from you too if you're trying to hide mold and aren't confident your house isn't going to cause health issues to your tenants.

You're the exact reason me and my wife are sick right now.

Also, it's legally required when selling a house to pass a mold test, so not sure how you would plan to run from that.
Welll... There actually is no legally mandated mold test for buying and selling a house.

You have expressed interest in a wide area. What is your budget, and what do you want in a new home?

Old 08-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It's "legally required when selling a house to pass a mold test?" Please provide a link to your source - but I'm betting one of our realtors will arrive shortly to confirm or deny your claim.

Rentals are hard enough to find around here. Finding a house that is new construction, never been lived in is like a needle in a haystack. (And can't a new construction house have mold issues???)

Thinking of buying a home? Have you looked at what YOU need to buy a home? Like - can you qualify for a mortgage, do you have a down payment, etc? $1500/month including re tax and insurance isn't going to go very far. Maintenance, utilities, etc - the cost of home ownership may not be an option for you right now. Figure THAT stuff out now so if you cant buy, you can drop it and concentrate on a solution instead of chasing the unattainable dream.

I sympathize with you and your wife being sick. It sucks. But remember that being a landlord is a business - they want the best tenants they can get. Not just financially sound tenants; they want low maintenance tenants as well. You're throwing out a lot of signals that you're gonna be PITA tenant. The rental market is competitive. Don't make it worse for your family by getting an attitude and making demands. (Just my 2 cents, which you'll probably ignore.)
I was told it was legally required but did not fact check that, so I apologize. if it's not, anyone buying a home is pretty foolish if they don't get a mold test in my opinion. Pretty cheap way to avoid some huge problems in the future.

Anyway, yes new construction can still have mold but it's less likely, which is exactly why I would be getting it tested as well.

Yes we qualify for buying a new home. Not exactly what we want right now, but if it's the only option we'd consider it, which is why I added it in my original post.

I honestly don't care if I'm a PITA tenant. But honestly, is it being a PITA for wanting a safe home where I can be healthy and comfortable? Seems like that should be the baseline to me. Hasn't been an issue anywhere else I've lived.

Hopefully me caring this much weeds out all of the landlords who put profit over how they treat their tenant's health and their own property.

I have to have hope not every landlord is out to lie their way into me renting a house that may have mold so they can avoid spending the money to fix it. Life is hard enough right now as it is.

It's been a terrible week figuring all of this out and realizing we're living in an unsafe environment (and have been for two years). Honestly wasn't expecting such negative feedback.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Welll... There actually is no legally mandated mold test for buying and selling a house.

You have expressed interest in a wide area. What is your budget, and what do you want in a new home?
I was misinformed.
Budget was in the original post. Hoping to be around $1,500 a month for either a rental or mortgage.
Ideally looking for something as clean and new as possible with a landlord who is transparent and willing to let us do a mold test for renting due to our health conditions.

Other than that, really open to anything. And I do know even just that is apparently a lot to ask for.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:38 PM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncus View Post
I was misinformed.
Budget was in the original post. Hoping to be around $1,500 a month for either a rental or mortgage.
Ideally looking for something as clean and new as possible with a landlord who is transparent and willing to let us do a mold test for renting due to our health conditions.

Other than that, really open to anything. And I do know even just that is apparently a lot to ask for.
The rental budget is light.
For a mortgage, there are other terms, like downpayment, taxes and insurance, and rates and fees that will mess with that number.
Sounds to me like you would be a buyer in the $250,000 range?

Old 08-14-2020, 02:57 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
if you can buy, i would buy. Because renting, unless it's a house, you're always at the mercy of your neighbors. There could be a leak that you never know about that would cause mold to grow. Same can happen in a SFH, but if it's YOUR house you know it's going to get repaired promptly and properly (and yes new houses can leak, my parents had a roof leak within the 1 year warranty and it was fixed with no problems since).

Old 08-15-2020, 09:38 AM

1,462 posts, read 659,590 times
There are a lot of new builds in Holly Springs. Homes and apts. I've seen a few rental signs in Ramkatte in Holly Springs. I think it's called New Market also.

Mold contamination is such a tough thing to go through. I"m really sorry you have this on top of a pandemic. Have you considered Fuquay. New builds/new apts popping up there too.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary