Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,082,704 times

Advertisements

Same in the apt world.

Stupid carpetbagger developers are building luxury communities in high crime areas since they haven't got enough background in the Triangle to fill a thimble.

We need these builders like a dog needs fleas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,236,040 times
Default HOAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
In this particular instance hopefully the covenants were worded to allow some minimum number of homeowners for the HOA to turnover from the developer... otherwise those poor folks will be standing last in line in bankruptcy court... or paying more than their PITI (principal + interest + taxes + insurance) for their dues!

Yet another reason to make HOAs completely voluntary (thus extinct imho ;-).
Actually, turning over the HOA wouldn't do the homeowners any good. Let's say an HOA is planned to have 1000 homeowners paying $250/ year in assessments. The $250 was chosen because it costs $250,000 a year to run the HOA (insurance, management, printing, reserve savings, amenities, landscaping, etc.). During the construction period, the developer covers the additional cost. If there are 100 homeowners paying $250/ year, and the HOA transitions... the HOA is suddenly $225,000 under budget. For the required items like insurance, reserves, etc., assessments would have to be raised exponentially. Landscaping and pool operation, etc. would have to be scrapped.

No homeowners would be happy about that and it certainly wouldn't accomplish the goal of the HOA: to protect and enhance the value of the neighborhood and thus the resale value of every home in the neighborhood.

And making HOAs voluntary wouldn't make them extinct as much as those who loudly proclaim their hatred of HOAs would like to think. I specifically bought in an HOA after watching my Grandparents struggle to sell their house that was beatiful, but next to a junk collector who stored "treasures" in the yard.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,090 times
Default Creekside Landing Townhomes development in Apex

does anyone know if this Townhome development has been abandoned as well? It is in a reasonable location off of Green Level close to highway 64 on the entrance to Beaver Creek and seems like no activity there for sometime with just one block completed - I feel sorry for the people who purchased if that is the case.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,082,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Actually, turning over the HOA wouldn't do the homeowners any good. Let's say an HOA is planned to have 1000 homeowners paying $250/ year in assessments. The $250 was chosen because it costs $250,000 a year to run the HOA (insurance, management, printing, reserve savings, amenities, landscaping, etc.). During the construction period, the developer covers the additional cost. If there are 100 homeowners paying $250/ year, and the HOA transitions... the HOA is suddenly $225,000 under budget. For the required items like insurance, reserves, etc., assessments would have to be raised exponentially. Landscaping and pool operation, etc. would have to be scrapped.

No homeowners would be happy about that and it certainly wouldn't accomplish the goal of the HOA: to protect and enhance the value of the neighborhood and thus the resale value of every home in the neighborhood.

And making HOAs voluntary wouldn't make them extinct as much as those who loudly proclaim their hatred of HOAs would like to think. I specifically bought in an HOA after watching my Grandparents struggle to sell their house that was beatiful, but next to a junk collector who stored "treasures" in the yard.
If possible, dissolve the HOA and let the county take the common areas for unpaid taxes.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,365 times
The Developer is Diversified Communities out of New Jersey. The Development is called "L'Hermitage at Beaver Creek". They took down their website months ago, and don't answer phone calls. There are currently only 2 homeownwers living in there, and they are NOT happy that the community has been abandoned. Nothing has been built or worked on since December 2007. The rumors that they have gone bankrupt were not true the last I knew, but as the last agents that worked there, I do know a bit more.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,798,749 times
Wow-these old threads pop up out of nowhere.
The developer is not bankrupt. They simply refuse to respond to anyone. The parent company is involved in another business category that is thriving-they continue to open locations in the Triangle.
At some point they will have to make a decision-
Sell the project in its current state at a price that another developer will pay, or
Attempt to resurrect the project themselves (unlikely since their name is mud in this area), or
Let the project go under completely and let the bank sell it.
It can't sit there forever.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,622,665 times
It is rather sad. I was out that way last night showing a friend (we had looked at it many months ago when looking for a townhome and had no clue that the builder had abandoned it). I ended up calling the police because we heard and saw some males vandalizing one of the units. They saw us and then ran back into the house (it sounded like they were ripping out pipes or fixtures or something-- it was loud loud).

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Wow-these old threads pop up out of nowhere.
The developer is not bankrupt. They simply refuse to respond to anyone. The parent company is involved in another business category that is thriving-they continue to open locations in the Triangle.
At some point they will have to make a decision-
Sell the project in its current state at a price that another developer will pay, or
Attempt to resurrect the project themselves (unlikely since their name is mud in this area), or
Let the project go under completely and let the bank sell it.
It can't sit there forever.
Seems irresponsible behaviour by the developer to me - once they start a project they should behave honorably both to those people who have already purchased as well as to the community at large who have to view the abandoned development on a regular basis. What I find unusual is the lack of publicity by the local press in this regard

Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Default irresponsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Seems irresponsible behaviour by the developer to me - once they start a project they should behave honorably both to those people who have already purchased as well as to the community at large who have to view the abandoned development on a regular basis. What I find unusual is the lack of publicity by the local press in this regard
Well, not that I'm saying they haven't done anything wrong, but developers can't really finish some of these developments right now. They can't get the loans they need to pay their subs. What you're suggesting would be best for the owners, but I doubt many of these developers/ builders have millions on hand to basically give away (because people aren't buying right now, so it's not like they'll be making their money back).

Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Default Very simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
If possible, dissolve the HOA and let the county take the common areas for unpaid taxes.
Well, what a simple solution. Who knew this was so easy? I can't wait to tell all of the developers, builders, property managers, and owners who live in half-finished neighborhoods! I'll be sure to consult you every time there is a complex problem facing a neighborhood or town. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary