Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 PM

14 posts, read 7,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
City inspectors should never be considered a quality assurance plan.
The builder should be able to build to code, should provide a durable structure without a city inspector.
The city inspectors are just another set of required eyes, another sign-off the builder has to get to get paid.
I like to check how many times a builder fails framing inspections before they can proceed and cover up. Custom builders pass at higher rates.

And to your earlier point about square walls, square walls are not required by code. I.e., city inspectors will pass walls out of square, every time.

Generally, what I see from custom builders is tighter framing from the framers, instead of paying a "framing punch crew" to come through to address short falls. My jaw dropped the first time a production super told me they pay a separate contractor to come through and fix gaps and other shoddy work in framing.
And, I see less maximizing spans of framing members to achieve minimal specs to save costs.

So, much less trampoline floors, i.e., lower floor deflection and subfloor drumming, less dishes rattling in the hutch, etc.
Gotta pay up for that to get it. Materials and labor aren't free.
What should I look for in framing? Do you have any tips on what to watch out for as I visit the construction site during framing? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 07:12 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel37 View Post
What should I look for in framing? Do you have any tips on what to watch out for as I visit the construction site during framing? Thank you!
Pay a Home Inspector to do a pre drywall inspection. You don't know what to look for and they do.

Have that inspector come back before closing to do a full home inspection.

Give that list to the superintendent, who will make sure all the repairs are done.

NO WORRYING...

Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
No one can really give you instant framing knowledge.
But, like Vicki said, get on the builder's radar for a third party pre-insulation inspection as soon as possible.

This is why you should have an agent with some new construction knowledge, who will also visit the site regularly.
New construction pays agents very well. They should be working at bringing commensurate value throughout the process.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
No one can really give you instant framing knowledge.
But, like Vicki said, get on the builder's radar for a third party pre-insulation inspection as soon as possible.

This is why you should have an agent with some new construction knowledge, who will also visit the site regularly.
New construction pays agents very well. They should be working at bringing commensurate value throughout the process.
Yea.., first mistake I made when buying this new construction was hiring an agent without doing much research. I don’t think my agent is even visiting the site at all

Old 09-02-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Pay a Home Inspector to do a pre drywall inspection. You don't know what to look for and they do.

Have that inspector come back before closing to do a full home inspection.

Give that list to the superintendent, who will make sure all the repairs are done.

NO WORRYING...
How about bringing a home inspector during the framing phase prior to pre-drywall inspection? By the time of pre drywall inspection, wouldnt the exterior of house covered in housewrap, roof insulations and all the rough ins be in place, which might make many things still go unnoticed, especially around the exterior sheathing?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
First time poster here. I'm building a new home with a national builder in Cary.
They just passed the open floor city inspection and started framing process.
What do you think about the quality of the construction so far?

The link to the pictures is here:

https://imgur.com/a/uSQzKO0

Few things I've noticed so far:
- Gaps between sill plates (they tried to shove a piece of lumber into the gap)
- Foundations not appeared to be completely leveled as there are areas with gaps between the sill and crawl space vents
- Missed nails around studs (there were multiple walls with missed nails)
- Some of the OSB sheathing are tearing apart

Overall framing job doesn't look that great in my eyes, but I'm not an expert. I'm guessing structurally these are not gonna be big issues, but it seems there are so many places for potential air/moisture leakage and bug entrance. Should I be concerned and get these issues firmly addressed with the builder? I don't want to get in the way, but at the same time, I was expecting more precision and quality.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
Spray foam insulation might help seal up the cracks, but probably no tract builder does that standard. I would check into it. i don't know if open-cell or closed-cell is best for the hot and humid climate there.

Your exterior enclosure will get a house wrap that covers some places for bugs to get in. That wrap can be as cheap-looking as a plastic grocery bag or be upgraded to many other materials like fluid-applied weather barrier that's like a skin of rubber to keep water out.

The best type will be determined by where the point of condensation occurs when conditioned air (cooled for the Southeast) meets the humid air (outside in the Southeast).

Vapor barriers aren't right for the humid Southeast, where you need for any water that gets into the wall to be able dry out, so weather barriers may be referred to as vapor in the South, but true vapor barriers are used up in colder climates.

If it were me, i'd spend more on upgraded insuiatiom which will have you loving every month's low energy bills. Passive house is the ultimate but anything better than the minimum code is good for your wallet and the planet

Old 09-02-2020, 08:15 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Spray foam insulation might help seal up the cracks, but probably no tract builder does that standard. I would check into it. i don't know if open-cell or closed-cell is best for the hot and humid climate there.

Your exterior enclosure will get a house wrap that covers some places for bugs to get in. That wrap can be as cheap-looking as a plastic grocery bag or be upgraded to many other materials like fluid-applied weather barrier that's like a skin of rubber to keep water out.

The best type will be determined by where the point of condensation occurs when conditioned air (cooled for the Southeast) meets the humid air (outside in the Southeast).

Vapor barriers aren't right for the humid Southeast, where you need for any water that gets into the wall to be able dry out, so weather barriers may be referred to as vapor in the South, but true vapor barriers are used up in colder climates.

If it were me, i'd spend more on upgraded insuiatiom which will have you loving every month's low energy bills. Passive house is the ultimate but anything better than the minimum code is good for your wallet and the planet
Meritage Homes does spray foam. It is pretty cool.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Great thread and comments. I'm bookmarking this one.
We built a house in 1988 and I was there every day. Took pictures during the entire construction process, which came in handy when I was trying to find stuff under the drywall.

Sorry, MikeJaquish and Sherifftruman, won't allow me to add to rep but excellent comments.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Yea.., first mistake I made when buying this new construction was hiring an agent without doing much research. I don’t think my agent is even visiting the site at all
A Realtor is not a Home Inspector.

When I have out of state buyers, who are building, I do go to the site and take photos for them so that they can see the progress of their new home. I meet all inspectors at the site.

With my buyers that live here, I'm happy to meet them at the site and happy to be there for ALL inspections BUT I can't inspect the home, I'm just not qualified to do that.

So, I'm going to disagree that the Realtor should be visiting the site often.

Reminds me of years ago when Sellers were unhappy that their listing Agent wasn't showing their home that was for sale. Do you want a Realtor that has ONE BUYER that may be in the same price range as your listed home or do you want a Realtor that markets your home to THOUSANDS of other Realtors that have the buyers?

Old 09-03-2020, 07:41 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Meritage Homes does spray foam. It is pretty cool.
That is what sold my clients last week (who are also very close friends/basically family) on Jordan Manors...

Walking through their spec homes; the fact that in August in NC you can go into the pull-down attic and not have it feel like a sauna and have a barely noticeable difference in temp with the conditioned space (comfortable; AC was running)...sealed the deal. Spray foam insulation is definitely impressive.

Incidentally his parents built with Lennar in Bella Casa a couple years ago and have been regretting it ever since.

Meritage's sales tactics and contract verbiage thus far has been a tad on the problematic side and my folks are building from scratch in-lieu of buying one of the specs....so the ability to check-in periodically during each stage of construction is going to be key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary