Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2022, 09:21 AM

6,641 posts, read 5,531,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothgebpark View Post
Just a great slice of Americana.
I'm not really sure I would classify Buc-ee's as a "sice of Americana"? To me, things like Buc-ee's are another step away from Americana, away from the small town local business and towards national corporate chains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 02:10 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,334,017 times
Quote:
MEBANE, N.C. (WTVD) -- You've probably heard someone talk about Buc-ee's before and it looks like the upscale gas station could finally have its first North Carolina location in Alamance County in the near future.

Mebane Mayor Ed Hooks said plans are under review and will be presented sometime in September or October to the planning board.

Then it would go to Mebane Town Council for a vote a month after.

The site could be located along Trollingwood-Hawfields Road which is beside Interstate 85/40.
https://abc11.com/bucees-nc-gas-stat...unty/13440548/

Old 06-29-2023, 02:16 PM

4,292 posts, read 5,937,123 times
Only like 7 miles from the originally proposed location. Already a couple of travel/truck stops at that exit.

Old 06-29-2023, 02:57 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,461,846 times
Fingers crossed this time.

I knew if they weren’t going to get a site in Efland, that they were going to try for Alamance County. Between the Love’s station that’s already at that exit, and the proposed Buc-ee’s, traffic at that exit is going to be terrible.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:05 PM

5,772 posts, read 6,823,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I knew if they weren’t going to get a site in Efland, that they were going to try for Alamance County. Between the Love’s station that’s already at that exit, and the proposed Buc-ee’s, traffic at that exit is going to be terrible.
For the one in Florence, SC, it looks like they added lanes to I-95 for it. Entering it from the North is easy, as it just flows off the highway. Entering from the South can be a pain, having to deal with the traffic to turn left over the highway, then into Buc-ees.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:13 PM

4,535 posts, read 6,334,017 times
I have no love for Bucee’s, but it’s yet another example of how Orange County’s antidevelopment zealotry is adjacent counties’ gain. Development and revenue just go elsewhere.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:15 PM

3,604 posts, read 4,444,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Right. If there is a Sheetz across the street from smaller/run-down looking Shell station or something...yeah I'll choose Sheetz for the nicer bathrooms every time.

But my roadtrip bladder is no joke...I'm not passing exit signs because they don't have an "exciting" gas station chain. When you gotta go you gotta go

I do feel relief on a road trip when I gotta pee and I see an exit sign with a Sheetz coming up haha, at least I know it won't be some overly disgusting rinky dink station. That being said, the bathrooms at the Sheetz on TW Alexander @ Miami can get a little gross....

Old 06-29-2023, 04:41 PM

368 posts, read 289,281 times
I wonder how much they're trying to extort from Mebane, Graham and Alamance County? For some of their sites in Georgia, Alabama and others, they've demanded and received tax breaks in the millions. They did the same for the aborted site on I-95 in NC (which never made the news; they were unable to work out traffic mitigation without costs that would have been over $10 million.)

I would expect that they will demand that locals (which does include the state with economic incentives) to build any infrastructure improvements to the interchange and Trollingwood-Hawfields Road. This is different from the Orange County site, where they likely knew that tax breaks were unlikely.

That said, the chosen location is a reasonable one from a traffic standpoint. Relatively low volumes at the ramps that can be improved to accommodate the traffic (I have not read any traffic impact analyses they have done, so this is a "guess" knowing the area roads.) There's auxiliary lanes on I-40/85 already (added lanes between interchange ramps), so nothing is likely needed on the main line, only the ramps and likely the bridge over 40/85. As popular as they are, they don't tend to draw "new" traffic to the interstate, only draw travelers already on the road to exit for a break. A DDI wouldn't be a bad idea here (similiar to the next exit over at Exit 153.)

The Pilot and Love's already at the interchange will lose some business; however since they are truck-oriented and Buc-ee's does not service trucks, they'll probably be OK. I'd expect the Pilot, being older and more run-down, to lose more than Love's.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:07 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,461,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficSys View Post
The Pilot and Love's already at the interchange will lose some business; however since they are truck-oriented and Buc-ee's does not service trucks, they'll probably be OK. I'd expect the Pilot, being older and more run-down, to lose more than Love's.
Well, that and the fact that there’s another Pilot, along with a Flying J (same company) sitting across from each other on the next exit.

The unbranded gas station with the Burger King and the BP in front of Lowe’s are probably going to suffer more.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:52 PM

22,613 posts, read 36,507,081 times
There's a Sheetz at like 3-4 exits in a row along that stretch too. And they just re-did the Sheetz by the Tanger Outlets. The Sheetz on Alamance Road is a crap show and I do not know what the draw is. Last time I was there people were waiting on line to get gas??? There's a new gas station opening almost diagonally across the street from it.

That said I am highly curious about Buc-ee's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary