Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:18 PM

5,740 posts, read 17,589,623 times

Advertisements

I'll echo some previous opinions. . . .

No shame in buying used. I bought my first mountain bike off of Craigslist (Spesh Rockhopper hardtail) and had it for a few years before upgrading to a full-squish model (Spesh Camber). I bought my current bike (Stumpjumper carbon) off of eBay. Sports equipment depreciates too fast to buy new.

If you are buying a bike to ride around your neighborhood or greenways, then you do not need a mountain bike. If you are planning to ride the dirt trails at Crabtree or Harris Lake, then you can get away with an entry-level front suspension only bike. If you want to ride New Light, then get a good full suspension mountain bike.

Have you tried REI, or Performance Bicycle (used to be a store in Cary, but closed last year. Still sells online)? Not as bad as Target/Walmart, but not quite as good as a bike store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 03:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 3,734,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
When you say mountain bike, what’s really your use case for this bike? I’m not really a fan of these low end “mountain bikes” for doing actual mountain bike type stuff. Buying new, something like a hard tail Kona Honzo is about as entry level as I’d go for real off road adventure. If you’re just mostly looking to ride greenways or something, then there’s lots of bikes that can work.

But, honestly, a good mountain bike tends to be expensive. Buying a few year old one is the way to go, imo. In addition to the regular places to buy used stuff, trianglemtb has a buy/sell forum, and that’s about the best place locally to get something good in my experience. It still might take a while before something you want gets posted. When it does, jump on it. Pinkbike is another place (not local) I’ve heard good things about. Lately, Pro’s Closet gets a lot of buzz, but it’s geared towards lightly used in really good condition from what I’ve seen, at a slight premium.

You're right - I only like to do very light dirt trails that many other bikes can probably handle. I'm just being annoying and like mountain bikes because they "look" better to me (more rugged look, etc). I will check out Pro's Closet, Pinkbike, thanks!

Old 09-08-2020, 03:08 PM

4,529 posts, read 3,734,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'll echo some previous opinions. . . .

No shame in buying used. I bought my first mountain bike off of Craigslist (Spesh Rockhopper hardtail) and had it for a few years before upgrading to a full-squish model (Spesh Camber). I bought my current bike (Stumpjumper carbon) off of eBay. Sports equipment depreciates too fast to buy new.

If you are buying a bike to ride around your neighborhood or greenways, then you do not need a mountain bike. If you are planning to ride the dirt trails at Crabtree or Harris Lake, then you can get away with an entry-level front suspension only bike. If you want to ride New Light, then get a good full suspension mountain bike.

Have you tried REI, or Performance Bicycle (used to be a store in Cary, but closed last year. Still sells online)? Not as bad as Target/Walmart, but not quite as good as a bike store.

I did try REI, but will look into Performance Bicycle, thanks. Some of these online stores are kind of sketchy so may skip that. And you're right, I don't do serious mountain biking trails, only light ones.

It's quite a situation here trying to find a bike.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:58 PM

6,651 posts, read 5,577,293 times
If you’re just doing light dirt trails, you can also look at hybrid bikes with wider tires (32C would work well)

Old 09-08-2020, 05:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,314,121 times
There are really good bikes on my NextDoor. I see a couple of Diamondbacks, several Specializeds, a Surly, Treks, as well as your old Schwinns and Target and Walmart bikes.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-08-2020 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 05:19 AM

There is a 2020 Trek Marlin 5 on Craigslist right now in the Lake Johnson area. Owner is asking $625. Size is M/L. Not sure how much these are priced new.

Old 09-09-2020, 06:51 AM

1,204 posts, read 775,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If you’re just doing light dirt trails, you can also look at hybrid bikes with wider tires (32C would work well)
^ guy knows. You should grab a hybrid bike, I think they are also called fitness bikes. With wider tires dirt trails will not be a problem at all. There is no reason spending your money on bikes with suspension, if you won't be "shredding dirt" or going for super technical trails. If you really get into it, imagine how many slightly used great bikes you'll be able to find after this pandemic is over?! I am pretty sure Craigslist will be filled with them, because everyone will go back to their routine, most likely.

Also, there is an online retailer for everything related to bikes called Nashbar.com. Over the years I have purchased lots of bike parts, shorts, pedals and cleats from them. I have never bought actual bikes from them, but I think it's a pretty trustworthy company. They've been around for a long time.

If you pick up a used bike, you should take it to the bike shop and get it tuned up. The rates are not that terrible. And, you really want to get your brakes checked (and tires too, I guess). If brakes are old and worn out, you do not want to find it out while you take it for a spin.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:01 AM

347 posts, read 521,526 times
Definitely look into hybrid or cyclocross models. I commuted to university during most of my undergrad and grad schooling on a Kona Sutra with 700x32c tires. The undergrad was in PA and this included snowy and icy roads. You'd be surprised what can be done on a cyclocross bike. I still have that bike and can blast down the bridle trails at Umstead with even thinner tires.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Also, there is an online retailer for everything related to bikes called Nashbar.com. Over the years I have purchased lots of bike parts, shorts, pedals and cleats from them. I have never bought actual bikes from them, but I think it's a pretty trustworthy company. They've been around for a long time.
Nashbar seems to have combined with Performance Bicycle and AMain Cycling. Their websites, products, prices, etc all seem to be the same.

Coupon code of "SEP3020" this months will save you $30 on a $350 order. Some exclusions may apply.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:06 AM

6,651 posts, read 5,577,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
Definitely look into hybrid or cyclocross models. I commuted to university during most of my undergrad and grad schooling on a Kona Sutra with 700x32c tires. The undergrad was in PA and this included snowy and icy roads. You'd be surprised what can be done on a cyclocross bike. I still have that bike and can blast down the bridle trails at Umstead with even thinner tires.
Yeah I take my road bike with 700x28c tires to Umstead and do just fine apart from this one hill on the Turkey Creek trail which I have to walk the very last part
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary