Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 01:34 PM

598 posts, read 333,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The nurses, techs, and nurses aids have said they want "a break."

Richest country in the world and we have staffing issues. Just perfect.
I've been wondering why it seems like nothing has been done to try to encourage people to train to become a nurse from the huge pool of people out of work. Is that an accurate perception?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 02:21 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Are the nurses/staff that are working the elective surgeries not able to work on Covid patients because they're high risk or something? If not, why not stop elective surgeries and have those nurses assist on Covid? I know it's less money in the bank, but if the need is there....

Maybe I'm over-simplifying.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:01 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,662 times
[quote=m378;60046317]Are the nurses/staff that are working the elective surgeries not able to work on Covid patients because they're high risk or something? If not, why not stop elective surgeries and have those nurses assist on Covid? I know it's less money in the bank, but if the need is there....

Maybe I'm over-simplifying.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are over-simplifying. Yes, can absolutely move staff around but you also need to understand that a surgical nurse is not an ER nurse or an ICU nurse just like an orthopedist is not an ER physician, hospitalist or pulmonologist. These are professions that have specialties that people were trained in. Yes they are still MDs and RN but personally if I am in the ICU with COVID I do not really what the Orthopedist who does knee replacements all day being my treating physician. It is not ideal and does not provide for best care. It is what happens when systems are overwhelmed and is a last resort.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post

Yes you are over-simplifying. Yes, can absolutely move staff around but you also need to understand that a surgical nurse is not an ER nurse or an ICU nurse just like an orthopedist is not an ER physician, hospitalist or pulmonologist. These are professions that have specialties that people were trained in. Yes they are still MDs and RN but personally if I am in the ICU with COVID I do not really what the Orthopedist who does knee replacements all day being my treating physician. It is not ideal and does not provide for best care. It is what happens when systems are overwhelmed and is a last resort.
..which is why I asked, because it sounds like they are overwhelmed.

I would assume in a desperate situation, the more hands the better regardless of training.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:10 PM

4,554 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Are the nurses/staff that are working the elective surgeries not able to work on Covid patients because they're high risk or something? If not, why not stop elective surgeries and have those nurses assist on Covid? I know it's less money in the bank, but if the need is there....

Maybe I'm over-simplifying.

What is so hard to understand? We cannot get any RNs to work on the COVID-19 floors. A more simple line for you - NOBODY like me F'ing WANTS TO WORK ON A COVID-19 FLOOR! Get that through your head, bro.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? Oh, that's right - because you don't actually deal with human beings. All you do is sit behind a fuc*-ing computer screen all day. You have no risk of contracting covid-19. Good for you!

Old 01-02-2021, 03:12 PM

Ok I'm done - not going to sit here and let people throw f-bombs at me. Tired of being attacked for asking questions and trying to understand the situation.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Ok I'm done - not going to sit here and let people throw f-bombs at me. Tired of being attacked for asking questions and trying to understand the situation.

Great - your messages throughout this entire year have been VERY "downplaying" the pandemic. Until you actually know what it's like in the medical world, don't reply to this thread at all. Nobody will miss you.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Great - your messages throughout this entire year have been VERY "downplaying" the pandemic. Until you actually know what it's like in the medical world, don't reply to this thread at all. Nobody will miss you.
Untrue. And no, I don't know what it is like in the medical world, which is why I ask questions based on what I hear from people like you, and what I hear from other sources like the media, and try to understand. You think that anybody that doesn't work in the medical world has no right to ask questions and that they should just be as knowledgeable as you say you are.

But I'm not going to sit here and let you attack me and swear at me because you assume that me asking questions is me downplaying the virus. I'm sorry you're having a rough go at it lately, I really am, but that's just crazy. Good luck I hope things get better.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Untrue. And no, I don't know what it is like in the medical world, which is why I ask questions based on what I hear from people like you, and what I hear from other sources like the media, and try to understand. You think that anybody that doesn't work in the medical world has no right to ask questions and that they should just be as knowledgeable as you say you are.

But I'm not going to sit here and let you attack me and swear at me because you assume that me asking questions is me downplaying the virus. I'm sorry you're having a rough go at it lately, I really am, but that's just crazy. Good luck I hope things get better.

Good deal - maybe you should not attack every single number that NC puts out for us. It's pretty obvious that you are the person that attacks and makes every number that NC puts out as a "fake" number. All you do is attack very single metric. But honestly, you are not even on the front line here, man. You honestly don't have any back up to your arguments.

You know what? You have no idea what it's like working on a North Carolina hospital floor - how many beds are full, how many nurses are tired, how many nurse's aides are tired - you are just sitting on your nice west Cary computer and typing all this BS.

I understand - this is just another internet messageboard for you after all - nothing to win and nothing to lose.

If you had any idea of what a nurse, nurse's aide, physician or any TRIANGLE hospital support staff is dealing with during this idiotic COVID-19 pandemic - you would probably post less than what you do now.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:10 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
in NC, the total # of beds available hasn't changed demonstrably.

Over the last 30 days, the total usage and ICU usage of those beds has fluctuated, but overall not up significantly. Covid ICU patients - up by 50% to almost 800 - are obviously replacing routinely expected ICU need.

That's a general concern for anybody (I hope at least) - COVID ICU patients are up 50% in 30 days, they are ~40% of all ICU patients, and remaining ICU capacity is now 1/2 of current COOVID ICU patients.

And undoubtedly, with the new protocols and treatment/outcome uncertainties, providing care for these patients is extremely stressful.

Eg - when my 77 yr old mother had a heart valve replaced this time last year and spent 5 days in ICU, that time was essentially routine and expected - Rx has had 100K+ post-op heart patients in ICU and "knew" the outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary