Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2021, 08:46 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,044,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
why don't you just get the flu shot?

Flu shots don't touch Rhinoviruses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 08:46 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
It'll be a decade from now there will still be a small group people chanting "it's too soon to socialize!"
It reminds me of how CNN is roasting the president of Brazil for not locking down the country. They act all high and mighty. I highly doubt the people "reporting" (really a smug swipe at the previous POTUS) have ever been to Brazil, South America, or any developing country.

They approach it like we do in the US, where we can just print money and hand it out to folks sans repercussions (at least for now). Heck renters haven't been responsible for paying rent for a year here.

Down there, if you don't get up in the morning and work, you don't eat. There is no social welfare, there are no food banks. I just got back from S. America last night, everyone is out working and has a hustle. From selling eggs and dog food on the side of the road, to tire shops, to chilled beverages in stop and go traffic. I saw only a handful of homeless type folks. If the country were to lock down again, more people would die of starvation than covid.

Quote:
WSJ: Peru and Brazil: Stay Home and Starve
Politicians in both countries imposed harsh restrictions people couldn’t obey.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:52 AM

1,204 posts, read 770,980 times
Quote:
why don't you just get the flu shot?

I get the flu shot every year. It doesn't stop you from catching it though. The effectiveness is about 40%-60%, it does a good job preventing having a full blown, terrible flu that year... it prevents you from being hospitalized, but it doesn't give a 100% guarantee of not catching it completely. I do not have any health issues, but due to my work I am required to get it every year. I haven't had a flu for about 5-7 years now. The last one I had was pretty terrible, it almost left me deaf in one ear -- ear drum ruptured basically due to complications. I just do not want to experience what I experienced ever again. I clearly remember coming back from an Urgent care, I couldn't get an appointment with my PCP as it literally happened within 8-12 hour period. All of a sudden, the pain was gone and I felt this weird feeling in my ear and felt something warm in my neck... it was blood coming down my ear. I had to pull over and literally sit there while my equilibrium got back to normal. So, I know what it's like, and I will wear a mask... if people do not like it, they can go f*** themself, to be honest.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Flu shots don't touch Rhinoviruses.
Referring to this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I was actually just saying the other day that I will be donning that mask during the flu season without any hesitation. I have enough masks to last me 3-4 flu seasons now.
I would imagine folks who say this talk a big game, but in another year, after wearing a mask for 3-4 months, they'll eventually say f-it.

The WHO even says washing hands is far more important.

Main focus for preventing coronavirus spread should be hand hygiene, not face masks

Another one from WP:

Why you can get a cold even while masking and taking other covid-19 precautions

Old 03-29-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I get the flu shot every year. It doesn't stop you from catching it though. The effectiveness is about 40%-60%, it does a good job preventing having a full blown, terrible flu that year... it prevents you from being hospitalized, but it doesn't give a 100% guarantee of not catching it completely. I do not have any health issues, but due to my work I am required to get it every year. I haven't had a flu for about 5-7 years now. The last one I had was pretty terrible, it almost left me deaf in one ear -- ear drum ruptured basically due to complications. I just do not want to experience what I experienced ever again. I clearly remember coming back from an Urgent care, I couldn't get an appointment with my PCP as it literally happened within 8-12 hour period. All of a sudden, the pain was gone and I felt this weird feeling in my ear and felt something warm in my neck... it was blood coming down my ear. I had to pull over and literally sit there while my equilibrium got back to normal. So, I know what it's like, and I will wear a mask... if people do not like it, they can go f*** themself, to be honest.
Personal opinion, but no one has been upset over others making a choice to wear masks, why do they think they care what you do? You're making this into something it's not.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,044,451 times
Quote:
Referring to this statement:
Right. But the flu shot we see in this country generally targets a strain of influenza. The shot doesn't touch Rhinoviruses which are pretty prevalent during cold and flu season (I generally get a cold once a year. I've never knowing had the actual Flu). Thus if I don't generally deal with influenza, said shot isn't going to touch what I have got ill with in the past.

Quote:
I would imagine folks who say this talk a big game, but in another year, after wearing a mask for 3-4 months, they'll eventually say f-it.
Talk a big game? About a mask? You make it sound like a Herculean effort to don one. It's literally one step above "abject laziness" (in the context of the year we have all just lived through, which is the only mask context most Americans alive know of) . I wouldn't put "big game" and "mask" in the same sentence. YMMV.

Quote:
We all know my stance on handwashing. I'll spare everyone a rehash of it.

Last edited by GVoR; 03-29-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 09:03 AM

1,204 posts, read 770,980 times
Quote:
Personal opinion, but no one has been upset over others making a choice to wear masks, why do they think they care what you do? You're making this into something it's not.

Really? Pre-Covid people were pretty ****ty about other people wearing masks. I remember some stupid racist jokes going around too. People who wore masks early during Covid got dirty looks as well.

And, do not even get me started about the mask situation in certain parts of America. All this "freedom", "nanny state" BS, people not wearing masks and you are actually telling me this? I do not know if you are being naive or you are intentionally trying to bait me into this argument.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:49 AM

598 posts, read 331,710 times
Quote:
Uh, that article is from February 2020, back before the WHO had any clue what they were talking about. COVID is most definitely spread primarily via aerosols and respiratory droplets.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:50 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,926,103 times
My husband and I have already decided that moving forward (regardless of Covid) masks will become a norm for us especially in the winter months. While it is not 100% effective it does help along with other safety protocols.

Does this mean I am going to don a mask at a small family gathering when we are all vaccinated.....no. But when I go out to busy places to shop etc I will wear one. It really is no big deal for us. We used to see people all the time in the Bay Area wearing them. In fact you would see people wearing masks, gloves and even carrying umbrellas on a sunny day in the spring. I assume masks for pollen, and the gloves and umbrellas to protect from the sun. And guess what....Cupertino (where we were from) has one of the lowest rates of Covid per capita (for that area) probably because of mask compliancy.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Really? Pre-Covid people were pretty ****ty about other people wearing masks. I remember some stupid racist jokes going around too. People who wore masks early during Covid got dirty looks as well.

And, do not even get me started about the mask situation in certain parts of America. All this "freedom", "nanny state" BS, people not wearing masks and you are actually telling me this? I do not know if you are being naive or you are intentionally trying to bait me into this argument.
I'm saying forcing others to wear a mask is what the stink is about. One is not racist because they don't want to wear a mask, that is preposterous.

Nobody cares what you do. I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary