Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2021, 06:45 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
So were the expletives because it's a propaganda piece or that it's an "oh crap, what nonsense was going there" situation?
The latter.

I think (if I can describe what someone in the field of pathogens and medicine development tried to explain to someone who isn’t (me)) what he was seeing from that story and the subsequent data provided for it by Bloom was

….the “original” genome that we saw didn’t show evidence of being manipulated by humans….however if there were genomes that pre date that, and those sequences were shared and then deleted from that database….that leaves a gap in our knowledge and there are obvious questions in regards to intent to answer for.

He seemed pissed that this was done and also feels we will never truly know what happened

Last edited by GVoR; 06-26-2021 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 12:09 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Just keep in mind again, long-haul COVID-19 is real and a huge problem for many people. So don't just focus on the survival rate. I'm glad more clinics are starting to help these people. They survived COVID-19 but have a different life now.

There is some new research just coming out that shows that long-haulers have a piece of the "Spike" protein, called the S1 subunit part of the spike, that remains in their monocytes (monocytes are a type of white blood cell to fight infections). The part of the spike remains for months and months after the initial infection.

Hearts, brains, energy sapped: Long-COVID sufferers beg for answers
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/hea...wers/19744908/

Old 06-28-2021, 07:55 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Just keep in mind again, long-haul COVID-19 is real and a huge problem for many people. So don't just focus on the survival rate. I'm glad more clinics are starting to help these people. They survived COVID-19 but have a different life now.

There is some new research just coming out that shows that long-haulers have a piece of the "Spike" protein, called the S1 subunit part of the spike, that remains in their monocytes (monocytes are a type of white blood cell to fight infections). The part of the spike remains for months and months after the initial infection.

Hearts, brains, energy sapped: Long-COVID sufferers beg for answers
https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/hea...wers/19744908/
maybe I'm expecting too much .... but I do expect the medical/science field to be tracking long haul sufferers, and to be reporting data. We've got 16 months of it. How many are there? Are we funding multiple clinics per state? Is there any trend in who tends to suffer from long haul? Any commonality of symptoms? Are these drugs working or not?

Old 06-28-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
maybe I'm expecting too much .... but I do expect the medical/science field to be tracking long haul sufferers, and to be reporting data. We've got 16 months of it. How many are there? Are we funding multiple clinics per state? Is there any trend in who tends to suffer from long haul? Any commonality of symptoms? Are these drugs working or not?

Of course it's being looked at and researched - where do you think I got the information about the S1 subunit of the spike protein information from? Initial stats showed 10-30% of COVID-19 infections resulted in symptoms for several months afterwards. The recent numbers show it's probably more likely close to 30% of people have long-haul COVID symptoms.

I'm not sure on the number of clinics but I hear them starting in many parts of the country. I'm glad we have ones opening in the Triangle now.

No real solid medication plan right now but hopefully these clinics can determine what works.

Old 06-28-2021, 10:23 AM

140 posts, read 87,819 times
Quote:
Congress put aside 1.15 billion in December for the study of long term effects. Here is the NIH link to the announcement of the initiative. I would bet a lot of that research will funnel through the Triangle.

https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/who-we...udy-long-covid

Old 06-28-2021, 11:55 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
The articles indicate those who suffer from Long COVID are usually younger teens to 50s with a local MD saying in the WRAL article, his patients are age 18-49. There was speculation that older adults might have Long COVID but they have other comorbidities that they are being treated for so it is not identified as Long COVID.

Another article.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ns-long-covid/

Old 07-03-2021, 06:59 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
The articles indicate those who suffer from Long COVID are usually younger teens to 50s with a local MD saying in the WRAL article, his patients are age 18-49. There was speculation that older adults might have Long COVID but they have other comorbidities that they are being treated for so it is not identified as Long COVID.

Another article.

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ns-long-covid/
thanks for the link. I absolutely understand that long-haul symptoms exist - I want to make sure there's no misunderstanding there. And as I said, we - the Federal Government - should be doing a LOT about them.

It appears Mt Sinai was the first, in May 2020. And yes, numerous other hospitals including UNC-CH are doing the same.

https://www.mountsinai.org/about/new...-covid-care-pr

From the Harvard link, there's a prominent quote top-left:

Quote:
“My suspicion is that many people with COVID need at least several weeks — if not a month or two — to feel back to normal, which isn’t unusual for bad viruses,” said Jason Maley of Harvard Medical School.
which is derived from this question/answer:

Quote:
How rare is this? I know it’s a subset of people who get acute COVID, but is it 10 percent, 1 percent, even less than that?

MALEY: We don’t know for sure. To get the actual percentage, there would have to be an accurate survey of a group of people who are representative of all the people who have had COVID. Most of the surveys that have been done have gone out through social media or engaged people in a way that probably over-selects for people who are looking for long COVID information or who are concerned about it. I’ve seen everywhere from 2 percent to over 20 percent. My suspicion is that many people with COVID need at least several weeks — if not a month or two — to feel back to normal, which isn’t unusual for bad viruses. Even the flu can really knock people out for a month. But for true long COVID and the prolonged severe symptoms we’re seeing, 20 percent is probably an overestimate and 2 percent may be an underestimate, so it may be somewhere in the middle.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:57 PM

I think it's becoming evident from the UK, Israel and other smaller countries who have good vaccination rates but a sizeable portion of their population have NOT gotten the vaccine - those people have a good chance of spreading the virus around.

The worst part? The more people who are not vaccinated (around 50% for NC and most Southern states), the COVID-19 virus could mutate into something different. And then we are ALL at risk of getting sick after another mutation.

Therefore, it's pretty obvious that you can make an argument that "It's my choice" and "I don't know the risks and I'm an American and you can't tell me what to do" etc etc. But you are placing everyone at risk and slowing the progress forward. Get with the program.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:23 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,878,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

Therefore, it's pretty obvious that you can make an argument that "It's my choice" and "I don't know the risks and I'm an American and you can't tell me what to do" etc etc. But you are placing everyone at risk and slowing the progress forward. Get with the program.
Well you can keep repeating that until the cows come home and it still won't change my mind. I get the impression that some people who are already vaccinated are the ones living in fear that the vaccines may not really protect them. Pfizer is now working on booster shots for the Delta variant. Variant after variant....booster shot after booster shot.... where does it all end??

Old 07-13-2021, 11:59 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Well you can keep repeating that until the cows come home and it still won't change my mind. I get the impression that some people who are already vaccinated are the ones living in fear that the vaccines may not really protect them. Pfizer is now working on booster shots for the Delta variant. Variant after variant....booster shot after booster shot.... where does it all end??
I shared sometime last year here (in one of the old COVID threads that is now gone) something my buddy, a chemist at Merck told me.

"...COVID isn't going away, it will roll into our seasonal virus outbreaks. This is very much a vaccine vs variants race at this point".

Viruses are little micro versions of evolution. What takes humans millions of years to achieve evolution-ally, viruses can do in days or weeks.

As long as there are massive pools of potential incubators for reproduction (i.e. the un-vaccinated) the virus will have both a pathway to reproduce and as part of that reproduction, the ability to evolve to an ever changing environment. Lose the genes that aren't working and replace them with something that works better for the virus.

My only hope (and who am I kidding, it's a pipe dream) that if Delta, Delta2 or any subsequent variant lay waste to the south/midwest sufficiently enough to require masks mandates, lockdowns and the like to return....that you all eat the heaping helping of crow you rightfully deserve.

Many of you have been duped by vaccinated talking heads on TV or some asshats on Facebook....and for what? To pwn the libs? To thump your chests and bellow about some superiority over mother nature that none of us have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary