Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 06:39 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times

Advertisements

Hopefully we don't get to the point here where we have to enact an equivalent rationing of care like Idaho did yesterday.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...er-covid-load/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 06:46 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Pretty sure Drew Cook just said that if an entire class is quarantined it's supposed to go virtual.
Ya he has his chrome book and work to work on. I have no idea if there will be virtual daily instruction ala VA. There’s only 3 days before track out.

His teacher was devastated when my wife spoke to her. The admins are a complete and utter joke.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:29 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ya he has his chrome book and work to work on. I have no idea if there will be virtual daily instruction ala VA. There’s only 3 days before track out.

His teacher was devastated when my wife spoke to her. The admins are a complete and utter joke.
The teachers are "over" remote school. The ones who wanted to do remote signed on for VA and some of them had their arms twisted....and they still don't have enough teachers.

I feel like I am in a constant state of holding my breath...my kid is in such a better mood being back in school.

Old 09-07-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The teachers are "over" remote school. The ones who wanted to do remote signed on for VA and some of them had their arms twisted....and they still don't have enough teachers.

I feel like I am in a constant state of holding my breath...my kid is in such a better mood being back in school.
His teacher was devastated in a “she couldn’t protect them” sorta way. Not that I realistically hold her to that standard, but as someone who sets higher standards on themselves than anyone else ever will, I dig the cut of her jib.

The boy would never make it in VA. Dreadful to even think about.

Shoulda known this was coming today after the bus literally didn’t show up. As I remarked to some moms “I grew up in a third world country with roads that would flood during the monsoons and roads barely wide enough for cars…yet school buses weren’t a thing you worried about”. They looked at me like “such is life round here”. I need to find the hypnotist from Office Space so he can remove my caring about such things…thing. I can’t fathom having such low expectations

Old 09-08-2021, 05:27 AM

The transportation department wears you down here. We’ve gone ten rounds here in my neighborhood with them over the years. Keep in mind my neighborhood was built in 1995 and the Davis Drive schools were built to accommodate the growth specifically related to my and a couple other neighborhoods. But every year it’s like it’s a BIG SURPRISE that they have to transport our kids to school.

So then people use carpool - which causes more delays due to all the traffic - and a vicious cycle is created.

I really hope for the sake of kids like yours (and probably most little kids) that the schools can stay open. I get the impression that will be a real last resort because the stats have proven last year was a learning debacle and the free passes given out can only last so long.

Old 09-08-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The transportation department wears you down here. We’ve gone ten rounds here in my neighborhood with them over the years. Keep in mind my neighborhood was built in 1995 and the Davis Drive schools were built to accommodate the growth specifically related to my and a couple other neighborhoods. But every year it’s like it’s a BIG SURPRISE that they have to transport our kids to school.

So then people use carpool - which causes more delays due to all the traffic - and a vicious cycle is created.

I really hope for the sake of kids like yours (and probably most little kids) that the schools can stay open. I get the impression that will be a real last resort because the stats have proven last year was a learning debacle and the free passes given out can only last so long.

Ya my wife carpools in the afternoon because we don't want the kids getting home at 5PM.

Me too, I don't think there is any substitute for in person learning, especially at this age (not to imply older kids don't need to be in person, but they've been offering online college classes since I was in school 01-05 so it's at least somewhat more "normal" there)

Old 09-08-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Ya my wife carpools in the afternoon because we don't want the kids getting home at 5PM.

Me too, I don't think there is any substitute for in person learning, especially at this age (not to imply older kids don't need to be in person, but they've been offering online college classes since I was in school 01-05 so it's at least somewhat more "normal" there)
Yeah there are different problems for different ages. But when my sister who teaches 4th grade says "my kids haven't had a full year of in person school since they were in 1st grade" it really brings it home. My HSer did great with remote school, but she's so HAPPY to be back in school. But the littles are missing important freedoms when it comes to socializing, field trips, etc etc.

Old 09-08-2021, 08:42 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I think it's almost a definite that Wake will go remote in the winter should they keep the current quarantining policies in place.

Again, not until we change the way we look at this virus, especially in schools, will we avoid this. Can't keep worrying about "what happens if the kids bring it home". Hate to break it to everyone, but most families are living relatively normal lives outside of school.

We'll never get it, but I'd like data on how many hospitalizations are due to children getting the virus at school.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think it's almost a definite that Wake will go remote in the winter should they keep the current quarantining policies in place.

Again, not until we change the way we look at this virus, especially in schools, will we avoid this. Can't keep worrying about "what happens if the kids bring it home". Hate to break it to everyone, but most families are living relatively normal lives outside of school.

We'll never get it, but I'd like data on how many hospitalizations are due to children getting the virus at school.
I can only speak for me, but I’m assuming the “exposure” that sent my kid’s entire class home is tied to families living normal lives outside of school.

My point being, there is no way for a private school to work around that, let alone a public school.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
I know of two separate incidents were people are living "normal" lives while they or their direct family members are infected.

One is a single person in their twenties who knew they had the virus but still wanted to go out and socialize with friends. They did not tell the friends that they were infected because they didn't want their friends to exclude them from things.

Another is a family where multiple family members were infected. However they continued to send children to school and have social activities with other children. I don't know for certain what the covid status of those children were but they are all living under one roof with each other and did not quarantine at all to ensure that the virus didn't spread to the other family members living there before venturing out and exposing people.

Some people are truly sick human beings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary