Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2021, 08:59 PM

805 posts, read 524,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
When I said prior, I meant within the past 5 years or so prior to covid (I wasn't here before that). I can assure you that very few were watching board meetings and work sessions (youtube live and view counts said so). I myself only started paying attention when reassignments started hitting a little too close to home - before that I couldn't have ever told you who was even on the school board.

I am aware of the events you both mentioned from the past. As for MVP, it's a pretty small subset of parents paying attention to that, especially now with everything else going on. Most just don't bother to pay attention.
The mass viewing of school board meetings and work sessions is a covid related thing, and not limited to WCPSS or NC.

But the MVP drama was huge. Before covid, WCPSS was surveying parents about the program in response to complaints. It was steadily in the news cycle.

Also, a lot of people/voters are very happy with the way the school board is protecting students and staff during covid. I know I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 09:28 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickandiron View Post
The mass viewing of school board meetings and work sessions is a covid related thing, and not limited to WCPSS or NC.

But the MVP drama was huge. Before covid, WCPSS was surveying parents about the program in response to complaints. It was steadily in the news cycle.

Also, a lot of people/voters are very happy with the way the school board is protecting students and staff during covid. I know I am.
Right - that was my point.

Sure there's a lot of people happy with how things are going. There's also a lot of people that are unhappy - people that likely don't usually vote in the school board election, or just vote for status quo. I think the next election, whenever it is (did they end up passing the 4 year term that the board members were all pushing for?), will be different than prior recent elections.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:02 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
I would expect numbers in the south to start to decline as numbers in the NE start to increase towards winter season. With Delta, it is unfortunately a matter of when, not if. You can roll the dice and get your antibodies the natural way and hope you aren’t part of the not-insignificant % of folks getting seriously ill, or vax up and take the edge off these risks.
I don't think anyone is saying for people to go to Covid parties and infect themselves to gain immunity - that would be ridiculous. I think it's the people who have already had Covid who are vaccine hesitant (or vaccine refusers), since they have already had it (and survived it).

Old 09-12-2021, 07:15 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
What? Someone is messing up if that’s true.

They aren’t supposed to mark students late when the bus is late.
100% true. Both got a tardy for the bus and my son got another one for a dentist appt.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:57 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
What? Someone is messing up if that’s true.

They aren’t supposed to mark students late when the bus is late.
Teachers definitely aren't supposed to, so I'd assume the teacher didn't know the reason or had already submitted the attendance before they knew it was a bus issue. It shouldn't take more than a phone call or email to clear up.

Unfortunately, there's a bus driver shortage all over the state and the even the country, so late and no show buses aren't something that are unique to Wake right now. I read about a district in New York that closed completely one day last week due to lack of drivers.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:50 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Wake Forest just had a covid spreader event this weekend and people were packed in like sardines (lots of people with risk factors too like obesity and age). Their numbers are already higher than a lot of the other areas in the triangle and their town has no mask mandate. And the people talking about the event don't believe in vaccines either.

I wonder what we will see in the schools in the following week or two since lots of children were at the event as well.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:32 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Wake Forest just had a covid spreader event this weekend and people were packed in like sardines (lots of people with risk factors too like obesity and age). Their numbers are already higher than a lot of the other areas in the triangle and their town has no mask mandate. And the people talking about the event don't believe in vaccines either.

I wonder what we will see in the schools in the following week or two since lots of children were at the event as well.
Friday Night on White? Was curious how big it would be. The season opening one the last full non covid year had something like 28K people at it. We didn’t go, but half the neighborhood group did

Old 09-12-2021, 09:45 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Friday Night on White? Was curious how big it would be. The season opening one the last full non covid year had something like 28K people at it. We didn’t go, but half the neighborhood group did
Yes, Friday Night on White. There are a few pictures from it on the Wake Forest Community Information-Closed group. The one posted by N.H. had me just SMH.

And the Town's event page made no mention of Covid on it......but yet they had a paragraph dedicated to how to get your beers!

Old 09-12-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Teachers definitely aren't supposed to, so I'd assume the teacher didn't know the reason or had already submitted the attendance before they knew it was a bus issue. It shouldn't take more than a phone call or email to clear up.

Unfortunately, there's a bus driver shortage all over the state and the even the country, so late and no show buses aren't something that are unique to Wake right now. I read about a district in New York that closed completely one day last week due to lack of drivers.
These things are supposed to be fixed by the attendance person. Teachers can only submit a couple codes; excused absence or excused tardy is not one of them. Typically, they’ll announce on the intercom which buses are late, or if carpool is very backed up, so teachers wait before entering absences. But it’s not a perfect system, and it’s easily fixed with an email and a click by the attendance person. It can be fixed days later.

Back in 2012ish, we had this bus issue. My kid’s middle schools bus arrived about 50% of the time. The other 50% (seemingly random), it was 45 min late. Since I had a younger sibling in bed sleeping at that time, I couldn’t just jump in the car and take my middle schooler to school. She was late a lot. The school managed the attendance without her accruing unexcused tardies.

Bottom line: there is no reason to accept unexcused tardies if the bus is late. Send the email and get it fixed.

Old 09-12-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
100% true. Both got a tardy for the bus and my son got another one for a dentist appt.
Errors happen. Doesn’t make it the policy. Both of these are fixable with an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary