Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 06:38 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you really should just refrain, if you cannot participate within the rules.

There are 2 otherwise very healthy children currently in the ICU, who have serious pulmonary issues that might become long-term health problems. That's sad, horrible, even call it tragic. I think we all agree that we hope that their good fortune of being under excellent medical care will help them recover as completely as possible.

It is also true that in NC, we have 1 death below age 18. I have no doubt the parent(s) and family of that child grieve tremendously, whether that child was "perfectly healthy" or had stage 4 terminal cancer with weeks to live. That child was not in Wake County, but it matters not a bit. There's a family in grief.

Let's assume both children that you know about are from Wake County. Will you divulge how many Wake Co children HAVE gone to the ICU? It would help the understanding of the issue.

In Wake County, there are about 250,000 children. There have been 2,586 test positive. So we know about 2 hospitalizations. That would be 0.08% of cases and 0.0008% of population. That would be the statistical definition of "almost none" - 1 in 1,000 cases = hospitalizations and 1 in 100,000 of the population.

Okay sure, present statistics to make whatever point you want.

The point is, don't let politicians say that if you are under 18, NOTHING to worry about because that's exactly what is happening. Go ahead and present whatever stats and theories you want to exaggerate things.

For those who treat people, you guys change nothing - we still deal with our risks and how to make patients better, get out of the ICU/medical floor and see how they have no long-term lung issues, no matter what you discuss about politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
This article is just so ridiculous I can't even believe it was allowed to be published:

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/no-...-say/19299488/

Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
but this isn't politics. it's just cold hard reality = life.

Politics is assigning blame and praise, or "what gets me the most votes?" That's really all it is, sadly.

If there's another country that has our population, various urban densities, geographic size, and limits on centralized control, then let's compare us to them. "Politically" since the beginning, I've said we would have it worse because the states have greater responsibility for themselves than almost any other country. And that ignores thee "political" that has sadly wracked our country for probably 10+ years.

I am very thankful that my children nor anyone I know has been hospitalized nor died from Covid. I do know people that have tested positive, especially some UNC freshmen.

That doesn't equate to "you people are exaggerating" or anything remotely political.

I have great sympathy for the families who have seen loved ones, young and old, go into the hospital. I have great sympathy for anyone who has lost a loved one, be it 7 days or 70 years prematurely.

I've been in the hospital with someone for 30 days when on day 25 they couldn't say for sure that "they'll be OK in 5 days".

I can't relate to the experience of being an ER doc or other professional that sees someone come in in the throes of Covid. Nor can I imagine the pain and likely anger of seeing a small child come in with a potentially fatal gunshot wound.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:47 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
They’ve been saying we’re in for a 2nd wave since May. Even that got politicized when they said that FL, AZ, etc were a “2nd wave†when it was very clear that it wasn’t.
Britian is in the middle of one and I am sure the same will happen here. People will politicize it but it will be a grim reality just like 200,000 deaths is the reality now. This was supposed to be the nightmare senario that we were avoiding but yet that detail seems to have been forgotten.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:10 PM

498 posts, read 854,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Britian is in the middle of one and I am sure the same will happen here. People will politicize it but it will be a grim reality just like 200,000 deaths is the reality now. This was supposed to be the nightmare senario that we were avoiding but yet that detail seems to have been forgotten.
Attached is a graphic from Ivor Cummins (YouTube) showing the current "casedemic" in the UK. Supposed cases are above the line with deaths below. Currently there appears to be a rise in cases, but there is practically no accompanying death as there was in the spring...practically none. His video shows this in country after country in Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Attached Thumbnails
COVID-19 in the Triangle: No Politics, Read the Rules Before Posting-ukcasedemic.png  

Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Attached is a graphic from Ivor Cummins (YouTube) showing the current "casedemic" in the UK. Supposed cases are above the line with deaths below. Currently there appears to be a rise in cases, but there is practically no accompanying death as there was in the spring...practically none. His video shows this in country after country in Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
They are discussing another shutdown due to infections. This article shows their numbers. The article below states that they are in danger of having 50,000 new infections a day by October without new restrictions. Are you implying it is not a concern since deaths are not rising. This can change rapidly and even if deaths are not up, the hospital system can still be overwhelmend. Either way, WE are still in the first wave and have crossed the 200,000 mark, that was supposed to be the worst case senario not the midway point.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

Old 09-22-2020, 09:19 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
They are discussing another shutdown due to infections. Either way, we are still in the first wave and have crossed the 200,000 mark, that was supposed to be the worst case senario not the midway point. Your chart does not change the fact that 200,000 Americans have died from this. It is not the flu, or some mild upper respiratory virus and we could say that overall a small percentage of people die compared to the total number infected but 200,000 is not a small number.
Given the times, the scale is hard to fathom. Life has become one headline, tweet, news report, blog post, one Facebook comment etc at a time. But this, all things being equal, is a national psyche rattling amount of human destruction.

Every other event of this magnitude in our story, albeit short in its own right, has statues and books and oral histories and songs that carry forth a remembrance.

To steal Shelby Foote’s line, Helluva Crossroads

Old 09-23-2020, 05:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
They are discussing another shutdown due to infections. This article shows their numbers. The article below states that they are in danger of having 50,000 new infections a day by October without new restrictions. Are you implying it is not a concern since deaths are not rising. This can change rapidly and even if deaths are not up, the hospital system can still be overwhelmend. Either way, WE are still in the first wave and have crossed the 200,000 mark, that was supposed to be the worst case senario not the midway point.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

When was 200k ever predicted to be worst case scenario? I remember significantly higher projections, I believe up to 2M.

What states in the US would you guess would hit a second wave first? My guess would be the northeast, and they are still doing much better than the majority of the country. Why do you think that is?

Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
When was 200k ever predicted to be worst case scenario? I remember significantly higher projections, I believe up to 2M.

What states in the US would you guess would hit a second wave first? My guess would be the northeast, and they are still doing much better than the majority of the country. Why do you think that is?
at the end of "15 days to stop the spread" is when obviously the Task Force showed the POTUS the projections that said "1 to 2 MM dead if we don't shut down and get serious about social distancing". Apparently, that same model showed 100-200K if we "did everything right". That same day, while the optimist in all of us concentrated on the low mark, Birx/Fauci (I think B, not sure) said something like "we hope under 200K".

They're all just projections and models. Remember needing 150K ventilators? A model (the same?) then came out maybe a week later with "60K dead". Now a model says "400K dead by end of year". It sure seems to reveal that we really know LESS about the virus than we might.

If one wanted to speculate on a "2nd wave", then I think you put FL front and center.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:18 AM

242 posts, read 150,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I think the "issue" isn't even the kids catching Covid.

It's "going home and giving it to grandparents/compromised cohabitants" without any # attached.

It's "teachers that are high risk" without any # attached.

There's "insurmountable problems" without any evidence why they're insurmountable.

My child takes 4 classes/semester; I think in another topic we've decided this is common in NC/the Triangle.

Where were the required surveys (like the numerous F&R lunch notices I got) to ask if you had an issue?

If my child takes 3 classes live and 1 virtually, is that superior to 100% online academy?

To that end scientists in Scotland did a similar study (on 300,000 adults) to the German study from months ago which finds exposure to young children both attenuates the risk of testing positive and having (if caught) a severe enough reaction to require hospitalization.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...428v1.full.pdf

Bringing back the cross-reactive immunity and "training" of the immune system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary