Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 01:16 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

I see no more snakes here in 23 years than I did in Pennsylvania.

We have a couple of black snakes around the house, but my back yard is a snake friendly jungle. Actually, I don't see snakes in the back yard, but around the house every now and then. Every couple of years. I assume they are around and I am not seeing them.
In 23 years, I have never seen a copperhead.

Put him in a highrise condo! All he'll have to worry about is the crazed neighbor who keeps a python or boa constrictor as a pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 01:43 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
We live in a heavily wooded neighborhood and have seen three copperheads in our yard this year. Last year we saw two - including one I found underneath the cut off valve for the sprinkler system as reached in to turn it off! Prior to that we lived in a less treed, smaller lot neighborhood for 12 years and never saw one. So I would say the less trees and underbrush the better.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:22 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Don't buy new construction in the outer edges of the Triangle. Those areas used to be woods or farmland, and tend to have surrounding wooded areas. Ergo, more snakes.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I feel like the more clearcut your lot is (and your neighbors' lots) the less chance of snakes. But then you also have no trees.

We have a lot of copperheads, little earth snakes and DeKay's snakes in my neighborhood, but it's very wooded and has creeks.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:26 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
A neighborhood that’s decently maintained from a yard perspective will have few enough that you don’t think about them.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:30 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
There aren't too many places to completely avoid copperheads anywhere in North Carolina:

http://www.basic.ncsu.edu/ncgap/sppr...ARADE01010.gif

However, in some areas it is easier to avoid rattlenakes:

http://www.basic.ncsu.edu/ncgap/sppr...ARADE02040.gif

Maps for various snake and other reptile species are here (near the bottom of the page):

NC-GAP / Statewide Reptilian Distribution Data Download

Old 09-07-2020, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 737 times
Thank you so much everyone! Love all the tips. I really appreciate the tips, feedback and comments. He actually seems to be softening up a bit. I agree something with a just a few trees, clean landscaping, and he certainly won’t be doing any gardening. It’s a lifestyle adjustment for sure, but one that’s worth it I think!

Old 09-08-2020, 06:03 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
We live in a heavily wooded neighborhood and have seen three copperheads in our yard this year. Last year we saw two - including one I found underneath the cut off valve for the sprinkler system as reached in to turn it off! Prior to that we lived in a less treed, smaller lot neighborhood for 12 years and never saw one. So I would say the less trees and underbrush the better.
I would’ve needed defibrillator paddles.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:32 AM

913 posts, read 884,831 times
In the 7 years I lived in NC, I saw too many snakes to count. If you live in or near a wooded area, you have snakes and are likely to see them. I was in the parks almost daily walking the greenways and paths and they are chock full of copperheads. You may not always see them, but they see you!

This copperhead was seen in Bond Park on our morning walk.
Housing areas of Triangle with fewer snakes?-copperhead.jpg

Old 09-08-2020, 08:51 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avhe680 View Post
Thank you so much everyone! Love all the tips. I really appreciate the tips, feedback and comments. He actually seems to be softening up a bit. I agree something with a just a few trees, clean landscaping, and he certainly won’t be doing any gardening. It’s a lifestyle adjustment for sure, but one that’s worth it I think!

We just bought our house a year and a half ago and after the initial cleanup, I set about cutting the bottom branches/limbs of all the shrubs and trees. I like the way it looks and gives me a better view under them in case there is a critter taking a siesta.

I've heard the suggestion about not reaching your hand anywhere you can't see, and I remember that when I'm doing yard work. I also know of people who have gotten them in their garages so I keep an eye out for dark / covered areas. I don't go outside without shoes on. I'm more vigilant late in the day when snakes will sometimes keep themselves warm on paved surfaces like roads and stone.

It is something you get used to over time. It's really only the Copperheads that I worry about and there are ways to be smart about exposing yourself to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary