Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

"Sad and weird" was not my finest word choice, but among my friends and acquaintances and their kids it is more common to leave the town you grew up in even if it's just to leave Raleigh to move to Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think it’s super weird to raise your kids in a place you would not want them to live when they grew up. I would have no problems with my kids settling around here. I don’t expect them to live down the street and they can do what they want and go where they want but to me the statement that it’s weird for people to live where they grew is ... super weird. And then why the problem with transplants? Under this theory whole towns should be summarily abandoned as the first generation dies off.
I didn't say anything about raising your kids in a place you would not want them to live when they grew up. You are completely twisting my words. I said that it seemed weird and sad to stay in your hometown unless your hometown was amazing. Here are my exact words:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Just seems kinda sad and weird to stay in the same place you grew up unless it's a really amazing place.
I don't have a problem with transplants. I can't see where anyone but you said that, but maybe I missed it.

As for whole towns being summarily abandoned as generations die off, that is exactly what has been happening for years as folks leave the rural areas of the country and gravitate toward the suburbs and cities.

In North Carolina I have known plenty of folks who grew up in small towns and moved to Raleigh or Charlotte or Greensboro, etc. I have also known plenty of folks in NC who grew up in Raleigh and moved to Charlotte or vice versa. Just for kicks I took a look at my list of Facebook friends and of the about 100 I know who grew up in NC (just not sure where some people grew up, so I didn't count them unless I knew they grew up in NC) it's running about 2 to 1 for folks who left their hometown. Most of the ones who stayed in their home town grew up in Chapel Hill or Charlotte and stayed there. Those are pretty fun places. A lot of the ones who left their hometown elsewhere in NC moved to the Triangle or Charlotte. That's what I did. But I have Facebook friends from NC who now live all over the US and elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
I wouldn't say it's weird and if I did, I misspoke. As a person who enjoys expanding my knowledge base, experiences and exposures, I just could not imagine living in the same place with the same people and same things all my life. To me, it would feel boring and limiting. For others I guess it is comfortable.
Yup. That's my point exactly, maybe "weird and sad" was not me at my most eloquent, but "boring and limiting" covers it pretty well.

As for the "shared values" idea on friendship that is pretty important to me, but it doesn't have to be political or religious or anything. I meant it more in terms of outlook on life. It is hard to be friends with someone who is constantly complaining and bitching about anything or someone who has anger issues and takes it out on other people. I just don't need that in my life. Religion — I am open to whatever as long as they are kind to other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 12:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
In North Carolina I have known plenty of folks who grew up in small towns and moved to Raleigh or Charlotte or Greensboro, etc. I have also known plenty of folks in NC who grew up in Raleigh and moved to Charlotte or vice versa. Just for kicks I took a look at my list of Facebook friends and of the about 100 I know who grew up in NC (just not sure where some people grew up, so I didn't count them unless I knew they grew up in NC) it's running about 2 to 1 for folks who left their hometown. Most of the ones who stayed in their home town grew up in Chapel Hill or Charlotte and stayed there. Those are pretty fun places. A lot of the ones who left their hometown elsewhere in NC moved to the Triangle or Charlotte. That's what I did. But I have Facebook friends from NC who now live all over the US and elsewhere.

Yup. That's my point exactly, maybe "weird and sad" was not me at my most eloquent, but "boring and limiting" covers it pretty well.
Honeslty, boring and limiting isn't much better. And what you consider amazing may not be what someone else considers amazing. Some people value being near freinds and family or in a familiar place and some want something new. It's all good. I would feel bad for someone who felt trapped somewhere they didn't want to be, but if they're there because they like it, there's nothing bad about that.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:02 PM

826 posts, read 244,639 times
Quote:

As for the "shared values" idea on friendship that is pretty important to me, but it doesn't have to be political or religious or anything. I meant it more in terms of outlook on life. It is hard to be friends with someone who is constantly complaining and bitching about anything or someone who has anger issues and takes it out on other people. I just don't need that in my life. Religion — I am open to whatever as long as they are kind to other people.
This is a how it is with me. That's why I do look at the political makeup of an area before I move there, like many other people do, but for different reasons. Unfortunately in the world we live in today, a person's politics has become way too important to them and their ability to function normally in life has been lost in a lot of cases. I find when you get in an area that is swayed way too much to one side or the other, it becomes almost cult like. A place like Chapel Hill or Hillsborough would absolutely not be for me, because of how many people kinda get in your face with things when I really don't want to hear it. Yes, I have experienced it. Same thing applies to a couple locations on the other end of the spectrum. So I always start my search with the most purple areas I can find and then I go from there on the other things I am looking for. I don't want to have everything on my wish list, but then be stuck in the middle of a place where people are bitching & moaning because they don't like who gets elected. I have family members who simply cannot find any joy in life if the wrong person is elected. Me? I just invest my money differently depending on who gets elected and then I continue on enjoying the heck out of life.

Old 09-11-2020, 02:24 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
Quote:
Really? I know very few who stay in the same town as where they grew up. And my family has been in NC since it was a colony. The folks I know may stay in NC, but they rarely stay where they grew up unless they have family property to take care of. It was just not my norm at all growing up that you would stay. Most folks I grew up with went to college and then settled elsewhere.
I believe this is due to a number of reasons. One of the biggest is how tied your family is to an area. If your parents moved away from home to a different locale, then kids think that is normal. If your parents are born and raised and never moved away, there is a good chance kids will not either. I personally would love to go back and live where I was born and raised, but my husband and kids wouldn’t be joining me.
My husband and I met in a different state than where we we raised and have continued to move around the country. Who knows where our kids will land as they all start jobs and families.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:25 PM

321 posts, read 257,151 times
The friendliness of an area is directly proportional to the sweetness of the tea.
;-)

Old 09-12-2020, 03:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 659,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
This is a precinct level view of how people voted in the last presidential election: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...inct-maps.html
Thank you Pierre. I'm hoping to find a town populated predominately by Independents. I don't mind talking to Republicans and Democrats, I just don't want to live among them. It's not like I'm biased or anything. You know what I mean, right?

Old 09-12-2020, 04:51 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Thank you Pierre. I'm hoping to find a town populated predominately by Independents. I don't mind talking to Republicans and Democrats, I just don't want to live among them. It's not like I'm biased or anything. You know what I mean, right?
Being a registered independent (I am) does have some negatives. We get canvassed like crazy every election cycle.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:06 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Being a registered independent (I am) does have some negatives. We get canvassed like crazy every election cycle.
I wonder how many people in North Carolina are registered independent. I have a feeling many people are because of the primary system.

Edit: Found the answer to my own question (https://vt.ncsbe.gov/RegStat/Results...09%2F12%2F2020)

Democratic - 2,552,636
Republican - 2,141,306
Unaffiliated - 2,374,167
Libertarian - 42,591
Constitution - 4,030
Green - 2,880

Old 09-12-2020, 06:05 PM

1,462 posts, read 659,873 times
Thank you for the info Pierre. I never knew there were so many Unaffiliated voters.

Y'all know my initial post was tongue in cheek, right?

Old 09-12-2020, 06:33 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Thank you for the info Pierre. I never knew there were so many Unaffiliated voters.

Y'all know my initial post was tongue in cheek, right?
Oh thank goodness. I’ll stop my research on the non-partisan neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary