Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:50 AM

307 posts, read 672,915 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to use your own router with Spectrum in this area? If so, does it save money? An elderly friend in Cary lost his Spectrum router last night. They're quoting him a service call date of Saturday. His medical alarm and security system are connected to the Internet. I may buy a router and install it for him if it's possible and if there are other benefits, like cost savings.

If it's possible to use a modem in this area (not all areas of Spectrum are the same), how is the router authenticated? MAC address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 10:53 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
Is it possible to use your own router with Spectrum in this area? If so, does it save money? An elderly friend in Cary lost his Spectrum router last night. They're quoting him a service call date of Saturday. His medical alarm and security system are connected to the Internet. I may buy a router and install it for him if it's possible and if there are other benefits, like cost savings.

If it's possible to use a modem in this area (not all areas of Spectrum are the same), how is the router authenticated? MAC address?
Assuming he had a modem and a router from Spectrum and you are only swapping out the router, should be easy peasy (no need to authenticate with them/MAC address)

If it was a combo device, its a little trickier, but doable (have to log into the admin portal of the device, and turn off the routing/DHCP/WiFI settings) and then plug in the new router.

Typically only a net new modem needs them to authenticate (I use my own modem, router and mesh system with their service. Their equipment is hot basura)

Old 09-10-2020, 10:55 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:

Yes, but when you use your own router, Spectrum's router should be put into bridge mode. Then the Spectrum router will run as a modem only, with no routing capability.

You can just plug your 2nd router into the Spectrum router and it will likely work, but it creates what's called a "double NAT" which really isn't ideal and can cause issues.

Edit: What GVoR said. Also I don't believe Spectrum is charging for modems/routers anymore - it's built into the price. At least on my plan.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:55 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I use my own router/modem combo. I do not have any of their equipment in my house. I use an Arris SBG-6700AC bought off ebay, used, years ago.

I don't think it saves any money though. There used to be a $7/month "lease" fee but I want to say they got rid of that maybe. I dunno.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:59 AM

Thanks. To be clear, the router and modem are separate. The modem is working fine because his telephone is working. The router died, so there's not a problem with double NAT or having to initiate bridge mode.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks. To be clear, the router and modem are separate. The modem is working fine because his telephone is working.
You can just swap out the router then. That's weird though I have never seen a separate router provided by Spectrum.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks. To be clear, the router and modem are separate. The modem is working fine because his telephone is working. The router died, so there's not a problem with double NAT or having to initiate bridge mode.

Plug and Play a new one. Easiest situation to deal with (from a troubleshooting POV)

Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You can just swap out the router then. That's weird though I have never seen a separate router provided by Spectrum.

Had separate here when they set me up in 2017.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Had separate here when they set me up in 2017.
Huh...interesting. They've always given us the combos.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:53 AM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: