Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:21 AM

826 posts, read 244,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
They also said they would be taking a 40-50k pay cut to move here. That will have more of an impact on financial quality of life (even with the lower tax burden of lower income).
I missed that post, but have now read it. YIKES. That's going to be one expensive move between loss of pay and more in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 11:54 AM

49 posts, read 45,250 times
Well, real feel Temp is 104 right now.
In Cary, real feel 77

For a person that likes to be active outside, the money I think is worth it.

Plus, the cut in pay will be mitigated by not writing a 6-8k check to IRS every year

We will see

Thx for yalls help

Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,302,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingaround22 View Post
In Cary, real feel 77

Plus, the cut in pay will be mitigated by not writing a 6-8k check to IRS every year

We will see

Thx for yalls help
If you have a certain level of $, the marginal amount is definitely not worth it (IMO).

Old 09-16-2020, 01:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
In Cary, real feel 77

We will see

Thx for yalls help
SWFL is quite nasty. The water in the gulf is warm and the humidity is high year round.

As far as not writing that check, I wrote a check of 6.5 to the feds and 3 to the state this year (CG).

Our total NC tax burden last year was 16 state and 2 property (just looked at our 2019 taxes). NC taxed income was just over 300 with another 95 of it not taxed (thankfully). The extra $$ we wrote the checks for was due to CG. So that represented about 5.3% of our taxed income (W2, ST & LTCG) for income tax. Like we did, if you can shelter money, you won't pay tax on it. We took the standard deduction.

If you are constantly underpaying your taxes, you just need to adjust your withholding. This is a common misunderstanding folks have, who think they "paid more" in taxes or "paid less" if they get a "refund". The total tax will always remain the same, it just depends on when you pay it.

I've never *hated* paying taxes, because it means I made money. This year, and moving forward, I will be paying *substantially* less tax. My industry has been decimated and there is really no substitute for my job, and starting over I'm looking at at least a 70% pay cut (if I can even find a job). Hey great! I will pay less in tax!! Yay!! (nope)

The weather in NC is atypical, we had a cold front come through.

But I see people make this mistake all the time, they'll look at a particular location during the BEST time of the year (shoulder seasons here) and think it's always like this. We have had 10+ days of continuous daytime highs that never reached above freezing as well in the winter.

I heard CA is considering a top marginal state rate of ~17%!

Old 09-16-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
In Cary, real feel 77

We will see

Thx for yalls help
Keep in mind we get actual temps here much hotter than you will ever get down there. I mean much hotter. You are tempered by the air off the water. We have downslope hot air flow. It gets much hotter here, but we also get much colder. It just depends on time of year. The temp you are seeing now is NOT normal.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
Keep in mind we get actual temps here much hotter than you will ever get down there. I mean much hotter. You are tempered by the air off the water. We have downslope hot air flow. It gets much hotter here, but we also get much colder. It just depends on time of year. The temp you are seeing now is NOT normal.
That is 100% untrue

I have been studying weather patterns for years looking for places to live.

Plus there are weather apps that give you your round typical weather anywhere.

There is zero breeze off the gulf of Mexico

Just simply find a weather app like weatherchannel.com and look at real feel temperature in different cities

Southwest Florida is almost always the hottest real feel place in the country

It mainly has to do with a high dewpoint.

Halloween Thanksgiving and Christmas all typically super hot and muggy

And it doesn’t even cool off in the evening or in the morning

Plus its supposed to be hot in the summer. My problem with SW FL, its that is is hot year round. We actually like the cold and have considered moves to Idaho, Minnesota, or Colorado.

Trust me on this one

Last edited by Lookingaround22; 09-16-2020 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Spellin

Old 09-16-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
That is 100% untrue

I have been studying weather patterns for years looking for places to live.

Plus there are with her apps that give you your round typical weather anywhere.

There is zero breeze off the gulf of Mexico

Just simply find a weather app like weatherchannel.com and look at real feel temperature in different cities

Southwest Florida is almost always the hottest real feel place in the country

It mainly has to do with a high dewpoint.

Halloween Thanksgiving and Christmas all typically super hot and muggy

And it doesn’t even cool off in the evening or in the morning

Trust me on this one
LOL. You will find out then. Don't be surprised how many times the actual temps here will be 5 to 10 degrees hotter than where you are and we are massively humid here too. Obviously you have many more months down there that are warm, but in the heat of it, we can crush your temps. You will see.

We are talking temps 98 to 105 degrees.

Hot Raleigh

And then there is this detailed description of how gulf breezes do indeed moderate your temps. We don't get that type of breeze here. We get land breezes off the mountains well to our west, which accelerates the speed, increasing the temps.

Gulf breezes moderate Florida temps

Last edited by Thnkfl4CountryLife; 09-16-2020 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Added informative link

Old 09-16-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
LOL. You will find out then. Don't be surprised how many times the actual temps here will be 5 to 10 degrees hotter than where you are and we are massively humid here too. Obviously you have many more months down there that are warm, but in the heat of it, we can crush your temps. You will see.

We are talking temps 98 to 105 degrees.

Hot Raleigh

And then there is this detailed description of how gulf breezes do indeed moderate your temps. We don't get that type of breeze here. We get land breezes off the mountains well to our west, which accelerates the speed, increasing the temps.

Gulf breezes moderate Florida temps
I am telling you, i look at my weather app every morning before i run, i have been doing this for years.

SW Fl at 5am-6am and at night too, has the hottest real feel temperature of anywhere in the nation.

The gulf is damp, which causes a high dew point. Dew point is the metric for how good it feels to be outide.
Right now the Dew point in SW FL is 76 with a real feel of 104, dew point in Raleigh is 66 with a real feel of 76.

As a runner, who has run more than 15 marathons, the dew point and real feel is very important to us.
U really could not be more incorrect.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I am telling you, i look at my weather app every morning before i run, i have been doing this for years.

SW Fl at 5am-6am and at night too, has the hottest real feel temperature of anywhere in the nation.

The gulf is damp, which causes a high dew point. Dew point is the metric for how good it feels to be outide.
Right now the Dew point in SW FL is 76 with a real feel of 104, dew point in Raleigh is 66 with a real feel of 76.

As a runner, who has run more than 15 marathons, the dew point and real feel is very important to us.
U really could not be more incorrect.
I understand. You are talking about real feel temps. I'm talking about actual afternoon temps. No worries though. You will find out next summer. All is good.

Old 09-16-2020, 04:16 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My sister just moved out of the Miami area. Other sister lives in SW FL right on the gulf. She leaves every summer. There's no comparison even if you just take the strength of the sun into consideration. Florida is hot all year save for the OCCASIONAL cold snap. I also check the weather app for this locations ALL YEAR. Hot, hot and hot.

As far as the money goes, everything is a tradeoff. I would take the pay cut to live where I want if I could still live comfortably. Sounds like the OP will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary