Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 05:09 AM

52 posts, read 127,963 times

Advertisements

Greetings, NC!

I found this forum this morning while thinking about relocating, because I basically hate the Philly area and the surrounding suburbs. Plus, I'm very cold right now.

A little about me:
I'm a 30 year old indie rocker/ex-punk with the passion and heart of a 16-year old, who has maintained a straightedge lifestyle my entire life (I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs of any kind). I moved to the Philly area in 2004 to escape awful FL weather and for someone special (four hurricanes in a row, and the girl left me, whatever)... and, although I've met some cool people here and there in the Philly area, overall I'm disappointed by Bucks County/Montgomery County, PA and the city of Philly in general. I'm originally from the Jersey Shore (lived there as a kid, and like it.. but it's not the same as it was in 1985.

Basically, I'm a unique individual who needs to be around like-minded artistic or musical individuals, who care very little about alcohol, and more about reading books, discovering amazing new music and writing/recording music, and watching indie/obscure films like they're going out of style.

My main question is... where should I live? Where can I go where I can actually meet/hang out with/converse with cute, indie-type females, and/or catch a great live show?

I don't make a lot of money (I never have) and I don't care to, really. I'm not the type to climb the corporate ladder just to not be financially stressed out. There's a quote I live by and it reads "I'd rather have a life than a living." Sure, a lot of people might call this a lazy attitude, but I see it as a passionate way to live. I'm not saying I don't work, I just prefer freelance and creative outlets as opposed to the 9 to 5/rush hour grind.

So anyway.... my potential city/area I'm most curious about is (as my title states):

North Carolina. Specially the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill (the "Triangle" from what I understand). I like it because I've met a lot of cool people from there (my roommate and several other people-- my roommate only lives here because he's going to an optometry school in Philly), and NC is kinda close to FL, where my family is. Plus, great music comes from there and the weather and lighter traffic seems right up my alley.

But I'm also open to anywhere else.... anywhere that has good people/essentials (target, home depot, office max, etc.), low crime, and a very low cost of living (and houses with finished basements?). Plus, good coffeehouses, music venues, bands that AREN'T STRICTLY hardcore, metal, and trendy punk... a good record store or two?

I've always considered North Carolina, but was too scared to relocate there because I don't really know anyone from there (I had friends in Philly, that's why I moved here).

Am I asking for too much regarding the way I am and what I'm into? Where should I go? Is anyone else out there straightedge, well-read, obsessed with good movies? I don't care if you're a guy or girl... it's just nice to be able to connect with someone like-minded every now and again...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read my novel, NC!!!

-Chris
PS Anyone into good, mellow, pretty indie stuff like Azure Ray, Album Leaf, Nick Drake, L'Altra, The Sundays, Smiths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 06:31 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
There are others on this board who will most liely chime in with more in-depth info for you, but from what you described you are lookign for, I would seriously consider research living in Durham, NC. Liek I Said others can provide better specifics, but that would probably a good place to start looking. One thing I will add is that this entire area is seeing a huge population explosion and housing (Although still very affordable compared to North East Standards) is not always as cheap as some folks think, finding a house with a "Finished: basement I think would be hard to find anywhere down here without a lot of money. Basements are pretty rare in general. Although there are older homes that have them and you might be able to find a decent rental with one as well. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Talking Indie Triangle

Given your tastes, Chapel Hill/Carrboro would be the place that would probably fill most of your interests. Particularly the indie music scene.
Nearby Durham would be a close second choice, especially seeing as its much more affordable to live in than Chapel Hill.
Raleigh would be your distant third best bet...its not as "indie" as Chapel Hill/Carrboro or Durham...it's a larger city but a tad more mainstream.
And I don't think you'd be at all interested in the other towns/suburbs like Cary, Apex, or whatever. (They are the very definition of comformist....LOL.)

Outside of the Triangle, you may also find Asheville interesting. Great city but the downside is that it's a bit more isolated.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
One of my classmates at UNC worked at Visart Video rental - serious movie buffs. I'd agree on Durham. Carrboro also has a concentration of Bohemians.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 AM

137 posts, read 607,341 times
Re: record stores - if it's indie music you are particularly interested in, check out Schoolkids Records on Hillsborough Street over by NCSU. They seem to carry a lot of artists that I've never heard of - which more than likely translates to those being the indie type of bands you like to listen to. As with most successful independent music retailers, they're probably well networked with people involved in the local music scene, so it's certainly worth dropping in there and asking any questions you have about the "scene." It's also about the only place in this area of the state where you can buy new vinyl (so when I say record store, I'm being literal). Of course, they sell CD's too, if you're not into the big round stuff with grooves on the surface.

Incidently, there are a couple of other Schoolkids store locations in Wake County - the Hillsborough Street location is the only one that sells vinyl, I think. I think they also carry a bigger inventory than the other shops.

Not to jack the thread here, but I sure do miss the old Wax Worx record store that used to be further down east on Hillsborough. I'm a huge dance music buff. The closest comparable store that I know of now is clear over in Charlotte.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:23 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmk View Post
Re: record stores - if it's indie music you are particularly interested in, check out Schoolkids Records on Hillsborough Street over by NCSU. They seem to carry a lot of artists that I've never heard of - which more than likely translates to those being the indie type of bands you like to listen to. As with most successful independent music retailers, they're probably well networked with people involved in the local music scene, so it's certainly worth dropping in there and asking any questions you have about the "scene." It's also about the only place in this area of the state where you can buy new vinyl (so when I say record store, I'm being literal). Of course, they sell CD's too, if you're not into the big round stuff with grooves on the surface.

Incidently, there are a couple of other Schoolkids store locations in Wake County - the Hillsborough Street location is the only one that sells vinyl, I think. I think they also carry a bigger inventory than the other shops.
There used to be several Schoolkids Records shops around the Triangle...but I'm kinda sure that Hillsborough Street in Raleigh and Franklin Street in Chapel Hill are the only two left here. (And Record Exchange, which was similar, is totally outta business now.) Guess mp3s are taking over.

Quote:
Not to jack the thread here, but I sure do miss the old Wax Worx record store that used to be further down east on Hillsborough. I'm a huge dance music buff. The closest comparable store that I know of now is clear over in Charlotte.
Yeah, I remember Worx even back when they were by Moore Square. Ah, good times. I'm big into dance music too, you should google "Perfect Beat records"...it's an online store that's pretty good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary