Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 09:30 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Stonebridge and that area are an excellent option for 1984-1999 homes under $500K on large lots. Those built before 1992 will largely have 8 ft ceilings and more traditional layouts (formal spaces not open concept, smaller master bathrooms)
Masonite siding and polybutylene pipes (if not already remediated)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 10:26 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I believe there is a fair amount of brick in Stonebridge; I tried to use street view from Google Maps but couldn't see the houses due to the trees. Even if masonite was originally installed, after 30 years it is either well maintained or has been replaced with hardiplank. Polybutylene pipes, if that is what they used, will also have survived for quite some time, so I don't know if that is or isn't a concern.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:37 AM

396 posts, read 434,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
What years were polybutylene pipes used? Were they standard in all homes built during a certain period?

Stonebridge looks lovely, but Millbrook HS does not seem to get very good reviews. Any insight?

Old 09-20-2020, 10:15 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
What years were polybutylene pipes used? Were they standard in all homes built during a certain period?

Stonebridge looks lovely, but Millbrook HS does not seem to get very good reviews. Any insight?
Polybutylene water supply lines were widely used between 1986--1997, but were not "standard."
Some builders never used them. Some builders used them on all their houses.
Your buyers' agent should easily be able to identify the water supply line materials in any house you seriously consider, before you invest yourself. And, don't rely on property disclosures. Only on what is observed onsite.

If you look in a tract home neighborhood, developed and built-out by one major production builder, it is likely that all of the homes of that age were plumbed with polybutylene water lines.

If you like a home, and it is in your price range comfortably, polybutylene should not be a deal breaker. It is generally cheaper to replumb a home with polybutylene than it is to replace bad masonite siding. Often, much cheaper.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Polybutylene water supply lines were widely used between 1986--1997, but were not "standard."
Your buyers' agent should easily be able to identify the water supply line materials in any house you seriously consider before you invest yourself. And, don't rely on property disclosures. Only on what is observed onsite.

If you look in a tract home neighborhood, developed and built-out by one major production builder, it is likely that all of the homes of that age were plumbed with polybutylene water lines.

If you like a home, and it is in your price range comfortably, polybutylene should not be a deal breaker. It is generally cheaper to replumb a home with polybutylene than it is to replace bad masonite siding. Often, much cheaper.
Thank you! Important info to have. Had no idea. So, is a tract home neighborhood, like a cookie-cutter type subdivision, where all the houses are built by one builder and are pretty much identical?

Old 09-20-2020, 03:12 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Thank you! Important info to have. Had no idea. So, is a tract home neighborhood, like a cookie-cutter type subdivision, where all the houses are built by one builder and are pretty much identical?
Well, yes, although "pretty much identical" is an oversimplification.
I'm in a neighborhood built by one builder. They had about 5 models, and various front elevations. So, it isn't hard to discern the models.
The styles and design features are common across the model line, however.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
as far as Millbrook's performance, here's the official data page

https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.c...ar=2019&lng=en

it rates a B. I only see 2 other regular traditional (not charter or application) HS's that are A - Green Hope and Panther Creek, both in W Cary.

You can compare schools. As I always point out, the first question (the driver of results) is "What is the % of Economically Disadvantaged students?"

Millbrook is 31% - diverse
GH is 7.5%
PC is 7.2%

Old 09-22-2020, 01:09 PM

376 posts, read 653,112 times
I bought a 1997 house and wish a little I'd have looked closer at things. The only worn out stuff was the windows and fence though so I lucked out.

I just say this because yes, the "bad" products used back in 80s and 90s were Masonite siding and polybutylene piping. I'd also look at:

Deck and railings (are they original)
Fence if there is one
How old is the HVAC
Windows (do they have rot, how hard are they to open)
Roof age
Grass and trees (tree trimming or removal is not cheap)

That's not to say if anything is original or is Masonite, run away screaming...just stuff nice to know budgetwise. And sometimes we focus more on the appliances and countertops and ignore above stuff.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:47 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your buyers' agent should easily be able to identify the water supply line materials in any house you seriously consider, before you invest yourself. And, don't rely on property disclosures. Only on what is observed onsite.

FWIW, I resided my mother's house in North Ridge a few years ago. I replaced the masonite with hardiplank for about 14K. This included painting all of her trim. Since her house is brick on the lower level, I only had to replace the upper floor and the gable end of the lower floor.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:32 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
FWIW, I resided my mother's house in North Ridge a few years ago. I replaced the masonite with hardiplank for about 14K. This included painting all of her trim. Since her house is brick on the lower level, I only had to replace the upper floor and the gable end of the lower floor.
Right, 14k isn't bad! Good to know it's not too expensive and sounds like the plumbing is fixable, as well.

My current home in NY is 100 years old, so used to doing lots of replacing. Although, they don't build 'em like that anymore! I am willing to fix things like siding, plumbing, etc if the price is reflective of all that needs to be done and the location and lot size are good. Would rather a smaller, older house on a nice lot in a great location, rather than a new build. During my last visit, drove out to Holly Springs to a very popular golf neighborhood, where a couple of people I know bought...was def not for me! Think I am sticking to Cary or North Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary