Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yep.

It's all by zipcode; and that's the case all over the country.

Yes there are folks in 27603 in Johnston County and they do have a "Raleigh" mailing address.
It's just crazy to me that 27605 is tiny and compact at 1 square mile and about 4500 people. It sits just west/northwest of downtown Raleigh. On the east side of downtown it's 27601, and less than 2 square miles with under 10,000 people. Between them is 27603 on the west side of downtown, with nearly 52 square miles and nearly 50,000 people. I really don't understand how the post office operates such disparate sized operations. I have been expecting 27603 to be truncated to just the ITB piece for some time now, but it just doesn't seem to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 04:51 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I just want to say that, while much of the land in Wake County is unincorporated, the vast majority of the people who live in the county actually live in a municipality.,, Of the rest of the people, many of them live in the ETJ (extra territorial jurisdiction) area of one of the municipalities.
http://www.wakegov.com/FVETJ/Documen...2019%20PPT.pdf
Note that most of the non-ETJ area is close to lakes (Falls, Shearon Harris, Wheeler, or the future Little River) where population density is relatively low. Cities don't want to provide services in those areas.

Quote:
It's just crazy to me that 27605 is tiny and compact at 1 square mile and about 4500 people.
This goes back to pre-ZIP days when Cameron Village was near the edge of civilization and would have been addressed as Raleigh 5, from the 1940s if not earlier. But to your point, USPS closed the Cameron Village post office a while back when their lease wasn't renewed. They haven't announced plans for a new permanent location, and they might never.

USPS is much less willing to consolidate ZIP codes than to create new ones.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:14 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Huh, PO prefers that ZIPs have <25,000 addresses (note: both households and businesses)
https://www.everycrsreport.com/repor...#_Toc283894228
I assumed that the reticence in splitting those wedge-shaped ZIPs out of Raleigh (27606 also comes to mind) was that they didn't want to open new POs outside the beltline.

Old 09-22-2020, 06:17 PM

459 posts, read 373,532 times
Durham County only has one city (plus bits of Raleigh) and several non-cities called townships. Wake County has 13 cities (plus some land is part of City of Durham)! Maybe Wake County should consolidate the cities a little more to make the county more cohesive and improve municipal efficiency. 13 city halls.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:50 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Durham County only has one city (plus bits of Raleigh) and several non-cities called townships. Wake County has 13 cities (plus some land is part of City of Durham)! Maybe Wake County should consolidate the cities a little more to make the county more cohesive and improve municipal efficiency. 13 city halls.
Suggestions?
I would predict that the small towns would have a voice in consolidation, and that would require some Big Fish in Small Ponds to surrender some power and prestige.

Anyway....

Cary-Apex-Morrisville?
Cary- Morrisville
Apex-Holly Springs?
Raleigh-Garner?
Raleigh-Garner-Knightdale?
Raleigh-Knightdale
Wake Forest-Rolesville?
Wendell-Zebulon?
Fuquay-Varina(!!!)-Angier?
Fuquay-Varina(!!!)-Holly Springs?

Old 09-23-2020, 05:34 AM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Chapel Hill and Morrisville have small sections that extend into Durham County. And all counties have Townships. I think what you're referring to is unincorporated communities like Bahama. Wake has those too.

Anyway, neither Wake County (nor any other County in NC) has the authority to force consolidation of incorporated cities/towns. They are completely separate, independent political entities.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:14 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Suggestions?
I would predict that the small towns would have a voice in consolidation, and that would require some Big Fish in Small Ponds to surrender some power and prestige.

Anyway....

Cary-Apex-Morrisville?
Cary- Morrisville
Apex-Holly Springs?
Raleigh-Garner?
Raleigh-Garner-Knightdale?
Raleigh-Knightdale
Wake Forest-Rolesville?
Wendell-Zebulon?
Fuquay-Varina(!!!)-Angier?
Fuquay-Varina(!!!)-Holly Springs?
Garner's already flirted with the idea of consolidation a while back due to the services angle. It didn't really go anywhere. Frankly, I think that the land that Garner sits on would become infinitely more compelling to develop and be more valuable if all of that was a Raleigh address.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Garner's already flirted with the idea of consolidation a while back due to the services angle. It didn't really go anywhere. Frankly, I think that the land that Garner sits on would become infinitely more compelling to develop and be more valuable if all of that was a Raleigh address.
Sure.
Gee. Now and then I deal with people who demand that "Cary address."
Perceptions....

Old 09-23-2020, 08:24 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Sure.
Gee. Now and then I deal with people who demand that "Cary address."
Perceptions....
Even builders are tuned into this. I am fairly confident that it is at least part of the reason for the base-price of my clients home they are building in Jordan Manors being $10k lower than that of the exact same floorplan in Arcadia West despite the same school assignments and an only marginal proximity advantage of the latter. Arcadia West has an "Apex" mailing address in-lieu of the "New Hill" address in Jordan Manors

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 09-23-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-23-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Even builders are tuned into this. I am fairly confident that at least part of the reason for the base-price of my clients home they are building in Jordan Manors being $10k lower than that of the exact same floorplan in Arcadia West despite the same school assignments and an only marginal proximity advantage of the latter. Arcadia West has an "Apex" mailing address in-lieu of the "New Hill" address in Jordan Manors
I'm pretty sure that it played into Twin Lakes being annexed by Cary, rather than Morrisville, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary