Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 10:32 AM

59 posts, read 170,072 times

Advertisements

How is the water quality of tap water? Do we usually install the water filter system? If so, what system do you recommend?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 01:53 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,088 times
Where is here? What city/county? It depends on the water source. Is yours piped in or do you have a well?

Old 09-17-2020, 03:00 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,836,575 times
If you are concerned about specific contaminants (IE: bacteria, too much chlorine, VOCs, metals, etc) or just plain don't trust the Cary public water dept to follow the purity laws, you should go to a Lowes Depot and buy a DIY water testing kit. YOU take the sample, and mail it in to a lab. It's pretty reasonable cost, fully independent of the government, and gives you exact info for YOUR water (and should also provide the recommended maximum amounts.

Old 09-18-2020, 08:23 AM

59 posts, read 170,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Where is here? What city/county? It depends on the water source. Is yours piped in or do you have a well?
Let's say Apex.
So are you indicating the water quality in different cities in Triangle are very different?

Old 09-18-2020, 09:02 AM

1,339 posts, read 729,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerron View Post
Let's say Apex.
So are you indicating the water quality in different cities in Triangle are very different?
Different municipalities get their water from different sources and treat their water in different ways, so there will be differences. Raleigh city water comes primarily from Falls Lake, Cary and Apex from Jordan Lake, Chapel Hill and Carrboro from University Lake, and Durham from Lake Michie and the Little River. Not sure about all the other smaller towns in the area, but you should be able to find out no problem. A full water quality report is available for each municipality too.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
Chapel Hill and Carrboro water comes from the Cane Creek Reservoir and University Lake, with the Quarry reservoir and Jordan Lake as backup. Chapel Hill water is good. The Cane Creek Reservoir is relatively unpolluted. I don't use a filtration system in Chapel Hill. Jordan Lake water is not as good and the lake has quite a bit of pollution, but Cary may treat it enough that when it comes out of the tap it is fine.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:34 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,590,433 times
I think the municipal water source here in Holly Springs is fine odor and taste wise. I also don't see a lot of build up on my appliances from hard water. So I don't see a need for a filter system in that case.

I have seen sediment and softening filters on water systems in the area that use a well for the source of water.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Chapel Hill and Carrboro water comes from the Cane Creek Reservoir and University Lake, with the Quarry reservoir and Jordan Lake as backup. Chapel Hill water is good. The Cane Creek Reservoir is relatively unpolluted. I don't use a filtration system in Chapel Hill. Jordan Lake water is not as good and the lake has quite a bit of pollution, but Cary may treat it enough that when it comes out of the tap it is fine.
I never felt the need to filter my water either since the water quality reports were always good, but after learning recently that the raw water here in Chapel Hill has relatively high levels of PFAS chemicals (persistent chemicals that are known to be carcinogenic), we're looking into an effective filter. The treated water is much better than raw, but I'm still concerned with the treated levels. Cary has similar issues. Durham and Raleigh water had very low levels in their raw water.

New research confirms presence of toxic "forever chemicals" in scores of NC water supplies | NC Policy Watch

Old 09-18-2020, 01:05 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
OWASA is very proactive and transparent about PFAS and PFOAS and have tons of info available online. I am not overly concerned about it as they seem to be getting most of it out at the treatment plant.

Pittsboro has a big PFAS/PFOA contamination issue with Haw River water.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
OWASA is very proactive and transparent about PFAS and PFOAS and have tons of info available online. I am not overly concerned about it as they seem to be getting most of it out at the treatment plant.
Yes. that's true. I'd just rather have all of it out since we mostly drink tap water at my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary