Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Will there be an uptick in virus cases after Halloween? OF COURSE THERE WILL.

So adjust your behavior accordingly...stay home, eat candy, turn off the lights.

With kids, you can get creative in your own home -- have a full schedule even if it's just one child with Mom and Dad. Make a Jack o'lantern the week before. Put out the Halloween decorations in the house if you have them.

On Halloween, have a dance party with loud Monster Mash music, make caramel apples, do arts and crafts, have a fashion show wearing whatever you can find in the house, and watch a somewhat scary movie. Have fun.

It will be the most memorable Halloween of your child's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 07:36 AM

1,326 posts, read 722,717 times
One of my kid's teachers told the class that the Chapel Hill town council cancelled Halloween. I'd like to assume she meant the annual nonsense downtown, but I don't know why she'd be informing a bunch of kids about that ,and that's not really what she seemed to be implying.

It doesn't seem like they could outlaw walking through your neighborhood and going to your neighbors doors, but given the state of things, maybe they can. Whatever the case, I can find nothing on the town's website or online to help clarify what this teacher was talking about. Maybe I need more coffee. I guess I could call, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I'm not hugging every kid the comes by, nor are we standing around talking. I pick up a piece of candy, drop in bag, never touch the kid or the bag so I'm not sure why the dramatics here.

I would say heading to the grocery store on a regular basis is a more dangerous activity than throwing candy in someone's bag.

At the end of the day we all need to do what's best for ourselves. If you're concerned, shut off the light and enjoy a quiet evening.

I'm a full mask wearing, hand washing COVID phobe but I don't get it either.

Old 09-22-2020, 07:52 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
One of my kid's teachers told the class that the Chapel Hill town council cancelled Halloween. I'd like to assume she meant the annual nonsense downtown, but I don't know why she'd be informing a bunch of kids about that ,and that's not really what she seemed to be implying.

It doesn't seem like they could outlaw walking through your neighborhood and going to your neighbors doors, but given the state of things, maybe they can. Whatever the case, I can find nothing on the town's website or online to help clarify what this teacher was talking about. Maybe I need more coffee. I guess I could call, but has anyone else heard anything about this?

I'm not saying CH did or didn't/will or won't. But I have lived in a town where they "Cancelled Halloween" because of weather related things (namely a Hurricane). Granted cops weren't driving around arresting people for violating. But there were certainly next to zero houses with their lights on the night of Halloween.

There are also towns in MA that have done it as a result of Triple-E outbreaks.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:08 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,741,311 times
ATLANTA -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has now officially discouraged trick-or-treating in 2020.
The new holiday guidance appeared on the CDC website Monday night.

America's health protection agency said "many traditional Halloween activities can be high-risk for spreading viruses."

https://abc11.com/community-events/t...-says/6498620/

Old 09-22-2020, 08:09 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
I don't think the risk is in handing out candy and that can be easily averted. In my neighborhood the kids travel in packs, that is fun part for them. Going door to door with a big crowd of your buddies. They are never 6 feet apart and they are running around all hopped up on sugar and could care less about the three W's.

Like someone else said, make the decision you are most comfortable with or yourself and your family.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:22 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Will there be an uptick in virus cases after Halloween? OF COURSE THERE WILL.
I really wish people would stop saying this - it's so silly.

There was no uptick after college kids returned home. There has been no upticks due to daycares being open the entire pandemic. There has been no uptick as kids have been attending private schools and FAST centers. There was no uptick after a political rally. There was no uptick after a Billie Eilish concert.

Thinking there is going to be an uptick in cases from a 5 second candy transaction is seriously ridiculous. There is not going to be an uptick due to kids walking outdoors in packs wearing masks. Or even without masks for that matter.

Just wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas - I bet there's no guidance put out regarding those.

Last edited by m378; 09-22-2020 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-22-2020, 08:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I don't think Chapel Hill has canceled trick-or-treating. I find nothing to indicate that on the TownofChapelHill.org . I'm sure they will be trying to make the Franklin Street gathering smaller just as they have for years now.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I had to spend Halloween in NH one year as a kid. We were only allowed to ToT during certain hours (and it might not have been exactly on H'ween, maybe it was the closest Saturday? That part I can't remember). But rushing around trying to make curfew and in general no one was happy to see me and my cousins was a bummer! That and my lame ghost costume.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:30 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Anyway...some people in the Brentwood subdivision of Raleigh are apparently planning on having the kids stand in front of their homes in costume, and neighbors will drive by and throw candy at them.

Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary