Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 09:32 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Ya'll have got some violent cooking going on in your kitchens! LOL
Nah. Just a messy chef who uses a cast iron pan or cooks stuff that splatters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 10:19 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That's my feeling as well - unless maybe I was going to rip out the entire kitchen.

It's an absolute deal breaker for me. I don't want people sitting around my island when I'm cooking; it's doomed to lead to a medical injury for guests or DH.
Same. Has never appealed to me as a design concept. And if you have kids then you have the worry about them touching the hot surface even if accidentally while sitting at the island.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Same. Has never appealed to me as a design concept. And if you have kids then you have the worry about them touching the hot surface even if accidentally while sitting at the island.
Heck, I'm a senior citizen and I have to worry about that - especially when a glass of wine is in my other hand.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:28 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Well, there are islands, and then there are islands.

Granite comes in up to 6'x10' Slabs. A cooktop can work pretty well in an island like that in a well-designed kitchen.
Opens up wall space for more windows?

Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, there are islands, and then there are islands.

Granite comes in up to 6'x10' Slabs. A cooktop can work pretty well in an island like that in a well-designed kitchen.
Opens up wall space for more windows?

You're probably right - but in my case, I'd have to have the homeowner's insurance and liability umbrella company on speed dial. . .

Old 09-29-2020, 03:55 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Meh. I'll take my kitchen in NY which is about 1/3 of the size of my kitchen here and way better designed - any day of the week. Bigger is not necessarily better. And kids always find a way to touch what they're not supposed to. My island here is plenty big and it's just in the way of me moving around the ideal kitchen triangle. I was all over having an island when we moved here...I'd rather have a peninsula like we had in NY for people to sit at....comfortably out of the way.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Meh. I'll take my kitchen in NY which is about 1/3 of the size of my kitchen here and way better designed - any day of the week. Bigger is not necessarily better. And kids always find a way to touch what they're not supposed to. My island here is plenty big and it's just in the way of me moving around the ideal kitchen triangle. I was all over having an island when we moved here...I'd rather have a peninsula like we had in NY for people to sit at....comfortably out of the way.
Some people cook extensively and want to turn out food efficiently. For them, design is tops.
Good design can be achieved with or without an island.

Other people are happy to have their friends pop into the kitchen, have a glass of wine, and go out to dinner. For them, trends and eye candy are more important than function and flow.
Often they want an island because the look nice with pendants over them.

Then there are the kitchens that are designed for caterers, not for cooking.
"If we aren't entertaining, we're at the club or otherwise out to eat."

And, there are Super Bowl kitchens, where we count the number of pizza boxes that can be opened on the counters.

Something for everyone, but One Size Never Fits All.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:46 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Some people cook extensively and want to turn out food efficiently. For them, design is tops.
Good design can be achieved with or without an island.

Other people are happy to have their friends pop into the kitchen, have a glass of wine, and go out to dinner. For them, trends and eye candy are more important than function and flow.
Often they want an island because the look nice with pendants over them.

]Then there are the kitchens that are designed for caterers, not for cooking.
"If we aren't entertaining, we're at the club or otherwise out to eat

And, there are Super Bowl kitchens, where we count the number of pizza boxes that can be opened on the counters.

Something for everyone, but One Size Never Fits All.
This is the kitchen I want!. Not going to happen though.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
This is the kitchen I want!. Not going to happen though.

I want the one where food appears and there is no cleanup...

Old 10-02-2020, 06:25 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,255,417 times
Quote:

I want the one where food appears and there is no cleanup...
I'm still waiting for the 'self-cleaning house' option. Lock the doors, set some knobs, and return a few hours later to a clean house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary