Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times

Advertisements

I would add to the discussion that unless you have already mailed in your ballot as did Lottamoxie and you're not at super high risk for cov-vid, consider early voting. Every day for two weeks, 8 am till 7:30 during the week. Shortened hours on Sat. and Sun. But the window for mail in ballots is closing. Plus we have already been told what is in the works for this election. It's been telegraphed for weeks now. I think psychologists call it projection. Rigged election?

I do appreciate that NC has early voting for a good two weeks and I'm especially glad about the paper ballots as well. But still, I get everyone's concerns. Never thought I would see the day.....

Old 09-29-2020, 09:46 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I would add to the discussion that unless you have already mailed in your ballot as did Lottamoxie and you're not at super high risk for cov-vid, consider early voting. Every day for two weeks, 8 am till 7:30 during the week. Shortened hours on Sat. and Sun. But the window for mail in ballots is closing. Plus we have already been told what is in the works for this election. It's been telegraphed for weeks now. I think psychologists call it projection. Rigged election?

I do appreciate that NC has early voting for a good two weeks and I'm especially glad about the paper ballots as well. But still, I get everyone's concerns. Never thought I would see the day.....

Its going to be a very contentious next 113 days, perhaps unlike any period in the last 170 years of our history.

I know I have a drinking game with some neighbors setup for tonight's debate. In looking at some of the "Drink!" categories, tomorrow morning could be pretty, pretty lumpy

Already have the early voting times in our shared family calendar on our phones. It's been our plan all along.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:40 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Congress passed a bill in 2006 that required the USPS to pre-fund their retirement healthcare costs 75 years into the future, which has led, in part, to the financial situations we are seeing with them now. I believe, but someone could fact check me, they are the only Federal Agency with this requirement (or the scale of the requirement) and sans this requirement would have actually been in the black.

I'm not arguing USPS was a cash cow before; I would argue that a system at least foundationally laid out in the US Constitution, has bigger virtues in existence than turning a profit, but the most recent "the USPS is a loser financially" bumper sticker, is in many ways, a self fulfilling prophecy.

Citydata is stingy with the rep points but anyway thanks for the background history.

That bumper sticker you mentioned goes back to "Greed is good." *before your time GV but you may have read about it*

I've seen poor souls (driving the most dilapidated vehicles on the planet) with bumper stickers that go against every possible self interest they could ever possess that would make their lives even marginally better.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Citydata is stingy with the rep points but anyway thanks for the background history.

That bumper sticker you mentioned goes back to "Greed is good." *before your time GV but you may have read about it*

I've seen poor souls (driving the most dilapidated vehicles on the planet) with bumper stickers that go against every possible self interest they could ever possess that would make their lives even marginally better.
To play on Nino Brown’s line from the courtroom scene in New Jack City

“Greed and voting against your own self interests....this is the American Way”

Old 09-29-2020, 11:10 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
Likely Amazon could do it better. Post office only comes to my house once a day. Amazon is at my house every hour it seems LOL!

I agree. Instead of the government trying to kluge some Rube Goldberg scheme together to distribute the long awaited vaccine, the government should go to Google, Amazon, Fed-Ex and UPS and say fix it. Include Gates and Musk for kicks, too.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I signed up to work at a Wake County poll location on Election Day (location TBD since I guess they'll have to figure out how many volunteers they have) but it's been interesting to learn about how everything works.

For example, if you fill out an absentee ballot, your name will be posted at your poll location (and marked in the poll books) so poll workers will know to make sure you can't vote twice.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:49 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I agree. Instead of the government trying to kluge some Rube Goldberg scheme together to distribute the long awaited vaccine, the government should go to Google, Amazon, Fed-Ex and UPS and say fix it. Include Gates and Musk for kicks, too.
That should absolutely NOT happen. We have a federal service that should take care of our ballots. No big tech should mingle in our democratic processes. Do you want government to hand over all the data so that these companies can "fix" our problems? They will track and eventually **** all of us over for $$$.

We should continue supporting USPS. The day you get rid of this service because you think Amazon is better is the day you are placing your future communication in the hand of companies that function under "quid pro quo" -- what do you think is going to happen when a crooked government decides to withhold all the mail? one call to some Jeff Bezos 2.0 and all your civil society is gone.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Google, Amazon, FedEx, UPS etc aren't going to go "the last mile" for delivery when it becomes profit impacting to do so.

Privatization in a beautiful thing in some cases.....but not everything in a society should be about someone's bottom line. Society has virtues that supersede that paradigm.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:03 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Google, Amazon, FedEx, UPS etc aren't going to go "the last mile" for delivery when it becomes profit impacting to do so.

Privatization in a beautiful thing in some cases.....but not everything in a society should be about someone's bottom line. Society has virtues that supersede that paradigm.
I was listening to a podcast episode earlier this week about how insurance companies have pulled out of areas of the country that have high fire/flood risks and how that has forced states to provide their own insurance programs (at high cost). I guess in this instance, it can be debatable whether we should continue to insure such risky investments if the private sector has pulled out.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I was listening to a podcast episode earlier this week about how insurance companies have pulled out of areas of the country that have high fire/flood risks and how that has forced states to provide their own insurance programs (at high cost). I guess in this instance, it can be debatable whether we should continue to insure such risky investments if the private sector has pulled out.
Juxtapose that against the approach of the Insurance industry in Australia has taken with Climate Change/Flooding/Brush-fires (even though they are further along the "Climate Extreme" spectrum than we are).

There - Its basically "we (Insurance Industry) need to work with local and state Governments to ensure we better incorporate mitigation as part of our development plans as areas continue to grow to account for the changing environment around us" while admitting that natural disasters will increase premiums.

Here - "Uhhhhhhh, we're just going to stop offering insurance in Central CA because we can't make money on it".

As for the mail, we have a society. That society stretches across highways and byways. From the NYCs to the Falkland NCs. People receive payments, medications, ballots, letters from loved ones etc etc etc etc via snail mail. If profitability is the measure by which we connect and reach those places, then we aren't a society, we are gladiators in an arena existing for the whims of the string pullers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary