Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 02:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
I have never seen an owl in person either. But I can hear this one hooting 2-3 nights a week. I'm still hoping to catch a glimpse of it sometime. Here again, I had to go on google to listen to owls hooting until I found the right recording. So distinctive.

I wonder if that falcon is somewhat responsible for the sudden disappearance of all the squirrels that used to be all over my back yard, and now I hardly see a one. Probably not, but I do wonder what happened to all the squirrels...
I have seen two since moved to NC last year; I think they live somewhere in my neighborhood. I'm thinking to do some research and building them an owl house... not sure if they'll like... prob won't pass their inspection, but we shall see.

Off topic: In Colorado owls were very common, used to see them a lot. I have even seen the white one (I think it's called Snowy Owl -- very rare, but it was spotted about 2-3 years ago and we had to go to this one place 2-3 times a week to finally see it! It was gorgeous.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 10:00 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Owls like woods on the edge of open fields. We have barred owls in our yard frequently. Hear them hooting and hollering all the time.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:30 PM

740 posts, read 473,143 times
Default thanks for the ebird.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
Ebird.org is a good place to report any sightings. Word will get to all the places that need to know. We are currently in the middle of fall migration and so far there have been a few birds that have never been seen or haven't been seen in NC for over a decade. A good year for bird enthusiasts!
signed up for this website- love it- thanks for the recommendation.
didn't really know I was an enthusiast, but seem to have become one since covid has given me lots of time to spend out on my back yard deck and observe...
but really it all started about 45 years ago, when I was a child and would visit the home of my favorite uncle/aunt. uncle was a well known, very respected anesthesiologist in his community. at home, he was... humble... hen-pecked, even. uncle elmer/aunt mary owned a chatty african grey parrot who delighted all the children in the home as 'paco' learned to screech for uncle in aunt's exact same tone/voice..... 'Elmer! Elmer! Elllllmerrrrr!!' and poor uncle elmer would come running to what he thought was wife's bidding. lol ! paco knew lots of things to say... my cousin michael taught it to say 'you look frightful mary!' and in all honesty she was bad-tempered and could look frightful when she was in a mood....

Old 10-13-2020, 08:23 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
hope this pic doesn't look too bad.
The pic looks good but it looks like a coopers hawk to me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary