U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 12:57 PM

24 posts, read 116,322 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a huge number of homes for sale in Glen Laurel in Clayton. Is there something going on there that we don't know about? I'd hate to find out something negative after we decide to purchase a home there. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 01:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,399,558 times
They have always have a lot of homes for sale in that subdivision. They sit on the market for quite some time. Very nice development overall, but if you buy, plan on staying put for awhile.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 AM

42 posts, read 159,072 times
Default Love Glen Laurel!

Thanks for asking this question. We have visited the area 3 times, and have driven through Glen Laurel twice. We love it there! The downside is the fact that you pay both City and County tax. I'm having a hard time finding another subdivision that I like as well. Best wishes to you and your family!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:32 AM

41 posts, read 187,095 times
Just echoing what was said earlier, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the subdivision, there is just usually around 60+/- homes for sale at any given time. There is a lot of industry close by (Caterpillar, Novo Nordisk, Talecris, etc.), so there are always people looking to move in and out.

If you look at how many homes there are in the neighborhood, 60 homes for sale, really isn't that many. Also, you have to realize a fair number of the homes for sale are higher price homes ($550,000+/-), which there are less buyers to pull from. That being said, there are still quite a few homes for sale at a much lower scale.

When we first moved out here four years ago, we looked at other neighborhoods in the area, and nothing had the same feel as Glen Laurel. Granted, we could've gotten more square footage for what we paid out here, but to me it was well worth it.

Lastly, they are close to completing a new elementary school across from the back entrance, which will definitely be a big plus.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 PM

189 posts, read 763,716 times
How will the new school affect the taxes? We are also very fond of this neighborhood and considering relocating there.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 AM

214 posts, read 665,938 times
The new school was paid for by a bond. The N & O reported in the paper today that Johnston County is not raising taxes this year even though the school board is upset because it afffects the what they can offer for teacher supplements. This makes JoCo less competitive with Wake, etc for filling teacher positions.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM

12,451 posts, read 30,260,246 times
I like the Glen Laurel neighborhood very much. However, lots of the folks there work for Caterpiller. A few years back, Caterpiller laid off a huge amount of employees and that impacted Glen Laurel. So many of the folks in that neighborhood had to sell their homes FAST. The property values went down. It was a great time to buy!

Hopefully, as the neighborhood has gotten larger, one company won't have such a huge impact on property values.

Vicki

Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 PM

189 posts, read 763,716 times
Thanks for the information. We would have to sell our new home to buy in Glen Laurel and it seems a bit further from everything like Raleigh, 540, etc. Is there a better route that won't take as long? Also Vicki in your opinion houses that are less than one year old are they marketable? I love our home just not the neighborhood...

Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM

12,451 posts, read 30,260,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
Thanks for the information. We would have to sell our new home to buy in Glen Laurel and it seems a bit further from everything like Raleigh, 540, etc. Is there a better route that won't take as long? Also Vicki in your opinion houses that are less than one year old are they marketable? I love our home just not the neighborhood...
The answer to your question is "it depends". My guess is that you would not sell your home, after living in it for only one year, for any more than you paid for it but it depends on WHERE you bought, and HOW MUCH you paid. Send over an address, pm if you'd rather keep it quiet, and I'll give you my opinion. I never turn down someone asking my opinion!!! Besides, I don't mind helping, if I can.

Vicki

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 AM

233 posts, read 819,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
From Glen Laurel you can head out 42E and take the back roads over through Archer Lodge out to Poole Rd (which will take you right into Raleigh), or Poole Rd. to Hodge Rd. or Smithfield Rd. and get on either 540 or the 264/64 Bypass. Its a nice driver, much prettier than 70 to 40/440, I just went out that way yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary