Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 08:22 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Personally it's going to be a shame to see the smaller independent theaters like the Rialto close
I wonder if they actually have an advantage over the big theaters. They are mostly privately held, and I doubt they are carrying huge debts on their books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Yeah the future of theaters is more like Alamo than Regal that’s for sure.
Maybe. But Alamo is a franchise model, and the three in Phoenix filed bankruptcy a few months ago.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:39 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I wonder if they actually have an advantage over the big theaters. They are mostly privately held, and I doubt they are carrying huge debts on their books.
I think Rialto will be fine. It's weathered many storms since 1983 (before that it was the Colony Theatre dating to 1942) and has a huge local cult-esque following that would likely fundraise to keep it open.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I think Rialto will be fine. It's weathered many storms since 1983 (before that it was the Colony Theatre dating to 1942) and has a huge local cult-esque following that would likely fundraise to keep it open.
That's exactly what happened at the Chelsea Theater in Chapel Hill. To facilitate that fundraising, it became a 501(c)3.

Old 10-05-2020, 06:31 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,124 times
Personally I think this is a dead industry unless they make some drastic changes to add value to it. I was tempted to buy AMC stock when it tanked in March. I considered it in the same bucket as other "consumer discretionary" services, but after doing a lot of research, I came to decision that it will all die a slow death. Even before Pandemic they were losing money due to streaming services. We are slowly creating new habits. One of those habits is to purchase new releases and watch them in our own homes. I understand it will not beat the "magic" of going to movie theater, but I do not think you'll be able to reverse that habit easily. As I said they'll have to add some new value to it -- maybe all go "small, boutique" movie theater where you get some additional experiences, something like Alamo theaters, maybe.

EDIT: Just read about Alamo bankruptcies a couple of posts above mine. So I guess that's not a solution either.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:35 AM

715 posts, read 888,632 times
Good part is that soda and popcorn won’t cost 25 bucks...bring back drive in’s until we get adults back running the country.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Big screen HD tv's and streaming were the death knell for theatres long before Covid19,

Higher and higher prices for tickets and concessions also contributed to their demise.
We historically never see a seismic shift in culture until years after it happened; this is what's going on. This will end the movie theater industry as we've known it, but it's barely 100 years old, so not like an old standard form of entertainment. Just like radio survived satellite and streaming apps, the movie industry will innovate and come out on the other side of the pandemic with something newer and more relevant to the times.

Maybe we'll see a resurgence of independent theaters, something with a smaller footprint potentially leveraging all that commercial real estate likely to be left unoccupied post-COVID-19.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:50 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,128,007 times
I wish someone would open a drive-in in Raleigh. We would visit a couple times a month most likely. It has the social distancing built in, still get the whole "getting out of the house" adventure the theater brings, and is just a good time. We love the one in Henderson, just hate getting back to Garner at 2am.

Old 10-05-2020, 02:23 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
There is this food truck + movie experience.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:43 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,870,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Bummer as was considering to visit the local Regal when Dune comes out.
Welp, just saw that Dune has been delayed until this time next year.

I don't see how this industry can survive, and can imagine a future where there are just a few boutique-y theatres left to provide the olden days experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary