Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 09:27 PM

25 posts, read 19,881 times

Advertisements

I don't wear a mask walking around my neighborhood but that is only because I know that there aren't many people out and there are sidewalks on both sides of the (not busy) road so I can cross the street when someone is approaching (and I always do). In short, if I know that I can safely distance than I don't have a mask but that only pertains to my tried and true neighborhood.

However, that wasn't the case in March and April even though I was wearing a mask outside everytime. It caused me to severely alter my route and I still don't walk as far as I used to due to crowding and the loss of dual sidewalks further out. I also had to give up greenways and haven't returned because of joggers and cyclists not announcing themselves and some joggers even bumping me when there was plenty of room, and groups of walkers spanning the width of the path without regard to how someone can safely pass. I wear/bring a mask on my occasional hikes at a local state park but I only visit if the parking lot isn't busy.

It really sucks that people in general have lost their regard for others. Now it's "Not me, not my problem" all the time.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriCary View Post
I don't wear a mask walking around my neighborhood but that is only because I know that there aren't many people out and there are sidewalks on both sides of the (not busy) road so I can cross the street when someone is approaching (and I always do). In short, if I know that I can safely distance than I don't have a mask but that only pertains to my tried and true neighborhood.

However, that wasn't the case in March and April even though I was wearing a mask outside everytime. It caused me to severely alter my route and I still don't walk as far as I used to due to crowding and the loss of dual sidewalks further out. I also had to give up greenways and haven't returned because of joggers and cyclists not announcing themselves and some joggers even bumping me when there was plenty of room, and groups of walkers spanning the width of the path without regard to how someone can safely pass. I wear/bring a mask on my occasional hikes at a local state park but I only visit if the parking lot isn't busy.

It really sucks that people in general have lost their regard for others. Now it's "Not me, not my problem" all the time.
I don't really think it's people losing their regard for others, I just think everyone has different opinions on how far they should be taking things. I think crossing the street is a bit much - that's your choice, but you can't expect everyone else to do the same, because it's completely unnecessary.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:26 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh and I'm sure the family of the kid from App State who died is happy he just went out and lived his life. Same with Nick Cordero. Same with my friends who has 4 co workers who died.

Hospitals (and cemetaries) are filled with people who wished the took COVID more seriously.
I forgot about him and never knew him anyway as I'm not up on celebs, but am glad you posted this because I re-read what happened with him and think I needed that booster dose of reality.

It's hard and unnatural to maintain this state consistency, and all too easy to fall back to pre-CV19 practices, especially when we are surrounded by so many people who are cavalier about it.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well they are from the CDC. So I'm guessing they are fairly accurate. Wouldn't it be better for all if we made decisions based on information vs emotion?
“if you are older stay home and sit this one out. Let the younger folks go out and enjoy their lives” Those are your words, not the CDC.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I forgot about him and never knew him anyway as I'm not up on celebs, but am glad you posted this because I re-read what happened with him and think I needed that booster dose of reality.

It's hard and unnatural to maintain this state consistency, and all too easy to fall back to pre-CV19 practices, especially when we are surrounded by so many people who are cavalier about it.
COVID fatigue is legit. Our brains can’t process something that has no “this is when it will be over” timeline either. I need the hard re-set sometimes too.

Bottom line no one (NO ONE) knows the long term effects of this virus - people who had it in the spring are still dealing with after effects and some have been left with permanent heart and lungs issues. No matter how badly someone with a pulpit wants to scream it’s just like the flu - it doesn’t seem to be so. But if people want to listen to other than scientists that’s their gig - just don’t expect to let your uneducated self go unchallenged when you spout crap and can’t understand (or don’t want to) the info being provided by doctors and scientists. And by doctors I don’t mean the ones who believe in demonic possession.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
COVID fatigue is legit. Our brains can’t process something that has no “this is when it will be over” timeline either. I need the hard re-set sometimes too.

Bottom line no one (NO ONE) knows the long term effects of this virus - people who had it in the spring are still dealing with after effects and some have been left with permanent heart and lungs issues. No matter how badly someone with a pulpit wants to scream it’s just like the flu - it doesn’t seem to be so. But if people want to listen to other than scientists that’s their gig - just don’t expect to let your uneducated self go unchallenged when you spout crap and can’t understand (or don’t want to) the info being provided by doctors and scientists. And by doctors I don’t mean the ones who believe in demonic possession.
If you took the following and removed "infuenza", 99.9999% of people would think it's about Covid:

https://www.lung.org/lung-health-dis...auses-and-risk

Flu does have long term affects for some people. In fact just from that article:

Quote:
If your cough won't go away. You may have a cough that lasts for weeks to months after flu symptoms go away; and it may keep you up at night. This cough has been associated with asthma-like symptoms, and can be treated with asthma medications. Consult a healthcare provider if you have this kind of cough.
In covid terms, that would be "long term lung damage"

Old 10-10-2020, 07:57 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
completely on-topic ...

in NC, masks aren't generally required outdoors. Chapel Hill had a "masks in public" mandate at least thru September, and for students, they could get in trouble should they be cited. I don't know if they dropped this.

as for walking outdoors as per the OP, the chances of contracting COVID merely by passing someone at walking speed when neither of you is masked is so infinitesimally small as to be zero. The chance that having passed them, they had exhaled enough virus that for the next 60 feet the aerosolized virus hung in the air and you breathed in sufficient viral load to contract the virus are statistically the same.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you took the following and removed "infuenza", 99.9999% of people would think it's about Covid:

https://www.lung.org/lung-health-dis...auses-and-risk

Flu does have long term affects for some people. In fact just from that article:

In covid terms, that would be "long term lung damage"
Not really but nice try. I’ve got asthma and long term cough from the flu usually goes away with a course of antibiotics (ask me how I know) but hey you found all the answers to the long term effects of a virus that hasn’t been around for even a year so good for you.

Also - again - flu has a vaccine and a PROVEN anti viral which I took when I had the flu in February. I had one day of symptoms and then a few weeks of a mild cough that I didn’t even bother taking medicine for. But again - some people seem to know the long term effects of COVID so yay for you I guess.

Again flu has a season. COVID does not. Flu kills between and 12 and 60 thousand a year. That’s WORLDWIDE. COVID will easily kill A QUARTER MILLION this year alone in this country alone. Oh I forgot they’re all old so they don’t matter and probably didn’t die of COVID and the hospitals got money for saying they did and blah blah blah.

Back to listening to the scientists.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Not really but nice try. I’ve got asthma and long term cough from the flu usually goes away with a course of antibiotics (ask me how I know) but hey you found all the answers to the long term effects of a virus that hasn’t been around for even a year so good for you.

Also - again - flu has a vaccine and a PROVEN anti viral which I took when I had the flu in February. I had one day of symptoms and then a few weeks of a mild cough that I didn’t even bother taking medicine for. But again - some people seem to know the long term effects of COVID so yay for you I guess.

Again flu has a season. COVID does not. Flu kills between and 12 and 60 thousand a year. That’s WORLDWIDE. COVID will easily kill A QUARTER MILLION this year alone in this country alone. Oh I forgot they’re all old so they don’t matter and probably didn’t die of COVID and the hospitals got money for saying they did and blah blah blah.

Back to listening to the scientists.
Covid has been around for 7 months - there will be a vaccine and there will be antivirals (they’re already using remdesivir, just not widely). Remdesivir is the same as tamiflu in that it doesn’t stop the disease, it just shortens it and potentially makes it less severe. Tamiflu doesn’t cure the flu.

I have no idea how many people the flu killed prior to vaccine, but I’m guess 1918 was a good example minus the fact that they had lesser care back then.

We don’t know yet if covid has a season because it’s only been seven months and we don’t yet have a vaccine or widely used antivirals. Once it’s more under control it seems perfectly feasible that it would only be an issue in winter months.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:35 AM

LOL ok on the COVID season.

Bottom line is people are sour on the fact that life "hasn't got back to normal, need to get back to normal".

SO my question is what's stopping that from happening? When were the airlines shut down? People aren't flying because....wait for it....we (thankfully) have a free exchange of and access to information in this country. So people know, even though they've been told over and over and OVER again that the "Wuhan flu" isn't that bad, not that contagious, it's going away, think positive, don't worry about....they are choosing not to believe that mullarkey from Dear Leader and choosing to believe actual, ya know, science. Not what MIGHT be proven in years to come. What's known NOW. And that's what they are going by. Restaurants are open. Airlines have been flying the whole time. Movie theatres and gyms are now open. Guess what? CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE GO!!!

One other thing. 200,000 dead Americans have left behind a lot of survivors. Millions, in fact. THink about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary