Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:51 AM

773 posts, read 646,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL ok on the COVID season.

Bottom line is people are sour on the fact that life "hasn't got back to normal, need to get back to normal".

SO my question is what's stopping that from happening? When were the airlines shut down? People aren't flying because....wait for it....we (thankfully) have a free exchange of and access to information in this country. So people know, even though they've been told over and over and OVER again that the "Wuhan flu" isn't that bad, not that contagious, it's going away, think positive, don't worry about....they are choosing not to believe that mullarkey from Dear Leader and choosing to believe actual, ya know, science. Not what MIGHT be proven in years to come. What's known NOW. And that's what they are going by. Restaurants are open. Airlines have been flying the whole time. Movie theatres and gyms are now open. Guess what? CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE GO!!!
Exactly! Its not government action that has shut things down, its, you know, an actual deadly virus. A majority of people are smart enough to do the right thing, fortunately.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:

Bottom line is people are sour on the fact that life "hasn't got back to normal, need to get back to normal".

SO my question is what's stopping that from happening? When were the airlines shut down? People aren't flying because....wait for it....we (thankfully) have a free exchange of and access to information in this country. So people know, even though they've been told over and over and OVER again that the "Wuhan flu" isn't that bad, not that contagious, it's going away, think positive, don't worry about....they are choosing not to believe that mullarkey from Dear Leader and choosing to believe actual, ya know, science. Not what MIGHT be proven in years to come. What's known NOW. And that's what they are going by. Restaurants are open. Airlines have been flying the whole time. Movie theatres and gyms are now open. Guess what? CAN'T MAKE PEOPLE GO!!!

One other thing. 200,000 dead Americans have left behind a lot of survivors. Millions, in fact. THink about that.
One of the biggest things stopping that from happening is the governor and school boards. We have teachers running around saying they’re going to die if they go back to a school building. I know this doesn’t affect you since you wfh, but there’s tons of people still juggling how on earth you deal with remote learning and working an onsite job. Then you also have mental health issues with children - not everyone’s kids deal with sitting in front of a screen all day the same.

There is nothing normal about any of that. For many people it’s “yaaaay I can go to a restaurant or a movie theatre but somehow my kids can’t go to school which means I can’t work.”

Anyhow, not sure what any of that has to do with the flu.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:06 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Not really but nice try. I’ve got asthma and long term cough from the flu usually goes away with a course of antibiotics (ask me how I know) but hey you found all the answers to the long term effects of a virus that hasn’t been around for even a year so good for you.

Also - again - flu has a vaccine and a PROVEN anti viral which I took when I had the flu in February. I had one day of symptoms and then a few weeks of a mild cough that I didn’t even bother taking medicine for. But again - some people seem to know the long term effects of COVID so yay for you I guess.

Again flu has a season. COVID does not. Flu kills between and 12 and 60 thousand a year. That’s WORLDWIDE. COVID will easily kill A QUARTER MILLION this year alone in this country alone. Oh I forgot they’re all old so they don’t matter and probably didn’t die of COVID and the hospitals got money for saying they did and blah blah blah.

Back to listening to the scientists.
Strokes, comas, amputations, permanent lung damage in any and all age groups should be deterrent enough. This really needs to be way more out there for the many who have yet to get this through their thick skulls and who are poisoning themselves and the rest of us.

Either you're not a spreader or you're a SuperSpreader.

And like another of my posts today referenced as I'm watching news recordings as I write, while writing this a brief on a travel survey (only 1000 people) came up saying how 60% of would-be travelers won't for the holidays. However it also say that 45% of these people have not taken their holidays this year yet and expect to before end of year. This could be interesting.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
I stopped walking the greenway because it’s so crowded. Typically, I will walk in my neighborhood without a mask, but choose a route with double sidewalks so it’s easy to cross the street if someone is coming.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:23 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:

One other thing. 200,000 dead Americans have left behind a lot of survivors. Millions, in fact. THink about that.
Almost a million people got on airplanes yesterday in the US. The chance of getting covid on an airplane is less than your chance of getting struck by lightning.

The reason (some) people are hyperventilating about this is because of the constant fear being placed into them. That fear brings in clicks which brings in money. It's a self feeding cycle. Covid is similar to the flu, in its after effects. Flus can also produce long term damage to lungs and other organs. Depending on the strain, and health of the victim, they can be pretty nasty too. I didn't know this before covid, as I started reading up on the regular flu as well. It was eye opening. There is certainly nothing "regular" or "mundane" about the flu!

Covid is a new virus, unseen in humans, so there isn't much self defense built up. There will be over time. And also, over time, it will weaken. France has a much weaker version of it coming through their country - in Sept, cases eclipsed their pre-summer highs but deaths are 10% of it six weeks later.

Taking precautions is one thing, but shutting down economies and wiping tens of millions of jobs off the face of the planet pushing many into poverty doesn't seem to be the smartest way to go. It works for those who WFH in industries that haven't been effected, which this forum is heavily slanted towards, so I'm not surprised at the hard line attitudes I see here.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Strokes, comas, amputations, permanent lung damage in any and all age groups should be deterrent enough. This really needs to be way more out there for the many who have yet to get this through their thick skulls and who are poisoning themselves and the rest of us.

Either you're not a spreader or you're a SuperSpreader.

And like another of my posts today referenced as I'm watching news recordings as I write, while writing this a brief on a travel survey (only 1000 people) came up saying how 60% of would-be travelers won't for the holidays. However it also say that 45% of these people have not taken their holidays this year yet and expect to before end of year. This could be interesting.
Ah, there's that word "superspreader". Love it. Let's shame folks who have gotten covid.

As far as the flu goes, it produces all of the same side effects, here is a story of someone who was 38:

Quote:
An estimated 80,000 Americans died of the flu, or flu-related complications, last winter, according to initial estimates from CDC presented in September. It was the highest number of flu related deaths in decades, and Hinderliter was nearly among them. Now, after 58 days in the hospital, a week in a medically induced coma, two surgeries and three weeks in a nursing home, he's speaking out to encourage everyone to do something he'd never done before: Get a flu shot.

From NPR: Last Year, The Flu Put Him In A Coma. This Year He's Getting The Shot

Old 10-10-2020, 10:36 AM

773 posts, read 646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ah, there's that word "superspreader". Love it. Let's shame folks who have gotten covid.
Yes, much better to shame people who take reasonable precautions to avoid getting covid.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:37 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
Quote:
Learned that term from the debacle that was the White House press conference and the arrogance displayed there of blatantly ignoring safe practices, and the tragically comical and predictable aftermath.

How you read shame into that, or miraculously conflated and confused it with those who got CV19 as opposed to those who didn't but who are arrogantly spreading it, is a huge misread by you.

So, is this to say that you are a denier of those stated CV19 effects?

Old 10-10-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Learned that term from the debacle that was the White House press conference and the arrogance displayed there of blatantly ignoring safe practices, and the tragically comical and predictable aftermath.

How you read shame into that, or miraculously conflated and confused it with those who got CV19 as opposed to those who didn't but who are arrogantly spreading it, is a huge misread by you.

So, is this to say that you are a denier of those stated CV19 effects?
I don't deny those things happen, just that they also happen with the flu, I think I've made that obvious enough in the post you quoted. Yet we don't shut down the economy because of it.

The panic was seen in the toilet paper aisle alone...people were freaking so much they resorted to stock piling things while their brain was compeltely shut off from reality.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:16 AM

598 posts, read 333,355 times
Quote:
I don't deny those things happen, just that they also happen with the flu, I think I've made that obvious enough in the post you quoted. Yet we don't shut down the economy because of it.
True, we don't shut down the economy for the seasonal flu. But if we were to have a novel/pandemic flu with an administration that downplays its severity and makes no real attempt to prevent it from spreading, I think we'd be seeing a similar response to what we're seeing now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary