Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:07 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanawan View Post
Also, what about Ashfield Place? So many options! BTW, I did a search on Fonville Morrissey's site and was able to come up with quite a few very new homes in our price range. But please keep the tips/suggestions coming!
Ashfield Place is very nice, and starts in the mid 200's, so you could definitely find some great homes in your range. I think you could probably get something in Brightleaf in the lower 300's as well. I saw an ad not too long ago for Drees offering like $20k incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,848 times
A couple other neighborhoods came up in my search: Lyon Park and Lochside.

Any thoughts about either of those?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 PM

58 posts, read 149,149 times
Lyon Park has a lot of the older homes you are looking for. It is not a suburban neighborhood at all, if that is what you're used to. Street View is a great tool to use.

I've always thought that little house on Guess Rd. were cute in their own way.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM

52 posts, read 132,518 times
With your price range and requirements you have few choices in Durham area, some are with about 2500 sq ft. Moderator cut: real estate agent solicitations are not allowed per site ToS

Last edited by da jammer; 05-05-2008 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM

52 posts, read 132,518 times
Few homes I could find with over 3000 sq ft and below 250K.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM

20 posts, read 70,992 times
Sneezecake mentioned Standard Pacific Homes in Brightleaf and I thought that I would mention that their homes in Brightleaf Crossing start from the 210's so you could probably get it nicely decked out with options in the 250-275k range on one of their models in the 1900 to 2350 sq ft range. I have even seen a resale over there that is not on MLS and is for sale by owner. I haven't looked at a flier though to see what they are asking.

I live in their Brightleaf Bluffs neighborhood which is essentially all sold out for now save for the model homes and a handful of lots near the models which they haven't released yet, but they are also breaking ground on Brightleaf Ridge which I believe will either be the same floor plans offered in the Bluffs or fairly comparable floor plans and I would think they would start presales on that in the next couple of months.

As with others, feel free to direct message me if you would like more info.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM

I'm just bumping this thread with some updates: I got a couple houses priced out in Brightleaf and we ended up in the lower 300's. Not bad for what we get and that's before any negotiations. It's odd because Drees ends up being quite a bit more expensive than Shea after you factor in the "lot premium" and other niceties you get with Shea for free.

Our *only* concern at this point is how far out Brightleaf seems to be. Distance-wise, it's not too far. Nor is it too far time-wise (it's closer than living in 27713). But it just *feels* in the middle of nowhere.

So now we're looking down at Grandale again. To be honest, I like their elevations a bit more but I'm sorta disgusted by the fact that all the lots have a "premium". (What kind of crap is that? You've got build the house on *some* lot. Add the base premium into the cost of the home for pete's sake! What a crock of crap... )

Anyway, the homes start lower, but are also much lower on the amenities scale than Shea or Drees and I'm having a tough time getting a sense of how much it would be to upgrade it to where I was with Brightleaf. I'd imagine cost would be roughly the same. Anyone know what incentives there are right now in Grandale?

Oh, and as you've probably noticed, my target price has moved up to the low 300's. My business has been really doing well this year and my wife is getting a cost of living adjustment that should make the extra couple hundred $$ a no-brainer for the better house.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
S-
Check out the pricing on the Grandale upgrades - We loved the Carlyle model they have there, but things like granite are 4-5k. In the end, pricing out all the upgrades we wanted the house actually came out to more than the one we bought (for less sq. footage and one fewer bedroom)

We loved the neighborhood, though, and it was our clear 2nd choice (and would have been our first if we'd have saved money.

Bear in mind also that your commute to North Durham would be 10 minutes farther from Grandale (or any of those SW Durham neighborhoods) than from BL - I'm not trying to push BL, but rather just sharing the decision making process we went through - my fiancee works on Duke street in North Durham and we'd considered a home in Southampton (across from Fairfield on Herndon) but the commute was one thing we'd thought about.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,471 times
Did you look at Ravenstone, Grove Park, Marbrey Landing at all?
They're in your price range and get a lot more bang for your buck. Just a thought

Old 05-15-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
S-
Check out the pricing on the Grandale upgrades - We loved the Carlyle model they have there, but things like granite are 4-5k. In the end, pricing out all the upgrades we wanted the house actually came out to more than the one we bought (for less sq. footage and one fewer bedroom)

We loved the neighborhood, though, and it was our clear 2nd choice (and would have been our first if we'd have saved money.

Bear in mind also that your commute to North Durham would be 10 minutes farther from Grandale (or any of those SW Durham neighborhoods) than from BL - I'm not trying to push BL, but rather just sharing the decision making process we went through - my fiancee works on Duke street in North Durham and we'd considered a home in Southampton (across from Fairfield on Herndon) but the commute was one thing we'd thought about.
That is one big consideration for us and what I thought about the expense of upgrades at Grandale. Personally, I'm still leaning heavily towards BL (especially after reading this article in the Independent about the development) - I just have to convince my wife that it's worth the trade-offs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna78 View Post
Did you look at Ravenstone, Grove Park, Marbrey Landing at all?
They're in your price range and get a lot more bang for your buck. Just a thought
I haven't checked those out. I'll look them up now. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary