Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 03:37 PM

888 posts, read 804,793 times

Advertisements

Next time park the vehicle on the snake. Don’t try to run it over. When somebody has their foot run over they live. Get the passenger steer tire right in the middle of the snake. Then you can walk around either the front or the rear to view the carcass. There will be snake manure so you don’t want that where you’d step out on the driver side to view. Then get a photo to upload here so we have a visual. Words are just worth a thousand pictures in these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 03:42 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
kill copperheads they are vermin i know we are enlightened and want to walk away feeling like we are respecting cosmic karmas but that snake could next be laying in a kids or a pets yard.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:28 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
I'm a super animal lover, both domestic and wild, but VENOMOUS animals are dangerous to humans (and other animals) and I would have run over a copperhead (but not another kind of snake--I know the difference). I live in a very woodsy area and numerous ones have been spotted this year, including in people's garages.
Mother Nature knows I go to great lengths to preserve 99.999% of her species, but poisonous snakes and mosquitoes are the exceptions.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:46 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,250 times
I'm scared of running over any snake. I have this fear they'll survive and crawl up into the car!

Old 10-13-2020, 08:21 PM

333 posts, read 286,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Are you sure it was a copperhead? There are some harmless snakes that are frequently mistaken for copperheads.

They move very quickly, especially when they've been in the sun. No need to run them over, though I know people do all the time - they are very common where I live as well.

I am reasonably sure it was a copperhead; but wouldn't stake my life on it.

Didn't realize how quickly they could move, though.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM

333 posts, read 286,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
You really should invest 15-30 minutes to Google snakes, copperheads in particular.

While it's likely that a snake would die if run over by a car, it's not necessarily automatic and could result in a living creature suffering with a mortal wound, no matter the creature that's never a good thing.

Snakes release venom when their natural instincts lead to their doing so. Even if your tire crushed their head and the gland that secretes the venom, there's not enough to result in a noticeable amount being left behind on the tire (assuming the wheel spins a few hundred more times before being stopped). And even if there was, you're not at risk unless you somehow scrape it off and inject or ingest it.

Snakes can move really fast, particularly when threatened.

But here's the most important take away from this thread, leave the snakes alone. Unless you have one menacing your living space (maybe in your garage or hanging around doorways), it's not going to stay there very long as it's out of position. They're usually excellent at staying in their lane and given a chance, will return to it expeditiously. Killing one copperhead does nothing to reduce your chances of being bitten by one, only that one in particular. They live all around us and do a great job of regulating a whole bunch of other, more concerning vermin that will actually try to get into your house. Develop smart habits to avoid unnecessary encounters and always consider fleeing (slowly, I might add) ahead of murder.

Thanks for the reply.

If I were to have run it over, it's the idea of leaving an injured but still alive creature that was worrying me.

And yes, when I think about it more analytically now, you are absolutely right, killing one that's not immediately threatening anyone doesn't protect us from the others...I will say that although I've lived here in a fairly wooded area for five + years, this is only the second snake I've seen, and the other one was a dead green snake. No doubt I have missed many that were near me but who scurried away.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:04 PM

748 posts, read 1,375,264 times
I know what a copperhead snake looks like. If it was anywhere near my home and my granddaughter was here and playing outside, you better believe I would "do away" with that hissing venomous thing that could harm us. I dont want my dogs playing with it either. I dont even like happy non venomous snakes but I dont kill them. I just run away. Yes .... laugh all you want and I scream too. But copperheads....hubby is going to "do away" with that sucker. And I dont give a rat's patootie what you call me or what you say about me. LOL and thats how I feel!

Old 10-14-2020, 07:51 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Thanks for the reply.

If I were to have run it over, it's the idea of leaving an injured but still alive creature that was worrying me.

And yes, when I think about it more analytically now, you are absolutely right, killing one that's not immediately threatening anyone doesn't protect us from the others...I will say that although I've lived here in a fairly wooded area for five + years, this is only the second snake I've seen, and the other one was a dead green snake. No doubt I have missed many that were near me but who scurried away.
no

Old 10-15-2020, 07:04 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
Nearing my house in my car, I saw a copperhead in the road. Maybe 18 inches? and right in the middle. This city girl wasn't sure if the thing to do was to turn around and run over it, but as I was almost home I called my husband so he could advise me and do the deed if necessary. He joined me in the car, but when we returned (a few hundred yards from the house) there was no snake.

So I am not asking for ethical advice (yes, they were here before us but I don't care) but practical.

1. If a car runs over a snake it dies, right? (I grew up in NYC and know nothing).
2. Does snake venom get all over your tires and yuck them up? (I can hear you laughing).
3. I thought he was sunning, not crossing the road. How'd he move so fast? (Maybe four minutes?)
Why do you feel the need to kill something that poses absolutely no risk to you at all?

1. Dont be stupid. How would you like someone trying to run you over for no reason?
3. Stop asking questions. You obviously dont know anything about snakes.

Im not some tree hugging peta endorsing hippie. But I dont condone the killing of animals that pose no risk to you. Leave the snake alone and stop acting like an irrational child.

Copperheads are beneficial snakes. They pose very little risk to humans, and their venom is not very potent. It's more scared of you than you are of it. They will do whatever they can to stay away from humans and very docile when handled. You can buy a snake grabber from amazon for $20.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:31 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
You can buy a snake grabber from amazon for $20.
Oh wow, thanks for this - buying one.

I don't want to kill any copperheads though I did once in the past and frankly will regret it forever. Not doing it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary