Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 01:40 PM

48 posts, read 67,859 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of a move to the Raleigh metro ( I posted some questions about this a few months ago and some folk here gave some really good advice) but I had a new question about health care in the area. For people who have moved there and have lived other places so you can best compare, what has been your experience with the over all health care system?

When I was doing some research North Carolina in general ranked low in health care and that people self reported that they weren't in the best of health. But since Raleigh has so many other benefits I didn't want to completely cross it off the list until I asked people actually living there what your experiences have been.

Like quality of the doctors, the hospitals, being able to get the health care you need when you need it, (like has anyone been out of work due to Covid and find it difficult to get on your states health insurance and are uninsured because of it ect...?) what you would say your overall health is (since you've moved to Raleigh) and how all this compares to where you moved from.

I'm still trying to decide between the DC metro ( northern Virginia) vs. the Raleigh metro and just want to compare the health care systems from people's personal experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Relocate88; 10-13-2020 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 01:48 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocate88 View Post
I'm still trying to decide between the DC metro ( northern Virginia) vs. the Raleigh metro and just want to compare the health care systems from people's personal experiences.
We have Duke and UNC, two of the top medical facilities in the country. Rex (now part of UNC Health) recently opened a large heart center. I have had advanced heart procedures at both Rex and Duke. Both places are fantastic.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Tons of doctors, lots of availability. I used to live in another state that took a week to see my primary care doctor and when I went in I had to write down the items I was there to talk about in advance (up to 3 maximum per visit).

Old 10-13-2020, 02:22 PM

450 posts, read 1,351,048 times
Quality and availability of doctors is top notch with access to Duke and UNC.

The state may rank poorly in terms of individuals' health but the larger suburban/urban areas like the Triangle would be better if ranked separately from the more rural areas, I think.

Access to health insurance other than through an employer may be a different story. I feel like at least at one point, there was little to no competition in the individual health insurance "marketplace" in the state; and NC is one of the states that has not expanded Medicaid, so the ACA does not function here as intended.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
I've heard great things about the hospitals in the area, but fortunately have not had to utilize them. I have had an Obamacare plan in NC and it was terrible. Very expensive and few providers would take it. I have it through my employer now.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:39 PM

598 posts, read 333,355 times
If you have good health insurance through your job, you will likely be satisfied with the health care available in the area.

Like others have said, the ACA in North Carolina is bad at least partially because our state lawmakers haven't expanded Medicaid. I moved here from the NYC area four years ago and looked to sign up for an ACA plan before I found a job with benefits. The plans here were ludicrously expensive with insane deductibles- not at all affordable for a single, low-income adult. In NJ, I would've qualified for one of the cost-sharing plans that were much more reasonable. (I don't even know if those cost-sharing plans in NJ are still available due to the partial gutting of the ACA since then.)

Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
it's good and it's gotten better since moving here 10 years ago IMHO. Just seems to be more choices, expanded hours, etc etc. Doctors all have gone to really good schools. Personally I feel that it's a huge step up from Long Island where if you want impressive doctors for the most part you need to go into the city. It's also SO much easier to schedule stuff. Call for a mammo on LI and you're looking at an 8 week wait. Call here and they can take you in the next couple days.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
There are two North Carolinas. One is the metro areas like Raleigh. Healthcare is excellent. Duke and UNC are top-rate hospitals and even the public hospital, WakeMed, is strong. Plenty of physicians from good schools.

The other North Carolina is small towns and rural areas. Healthcare there is spotty. As stated above, political opposition to expansion of Medicaid is a factor in the statistics.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:43 AM

133 posts, read 110,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
There are two North Carolinas. One is the metro areas like Raleigh. Healthcare is excellent. Duke and UNC are top-rate hospitals and even the public hospital, WakeMed, is strong. Plenty of physicians from good schools.

The other North Carolina is small towns and rural areas. Healthcare there is spotty. As stated above, political opposition to expansion of Medicaid is a factor in the statistics.
You took the words out of my mouth in this post. I live in Northeastern NC and outside of a common cold, you’re heading to the Triangle hospitals for any major health problems.

Several rural area hospitals have shut the doors over the last decade. Low income population, lack of health insurance, and a general loss of population as young people leave for better jobs in the metro areas, have caused this to happen.

I had a procedure done at Duke when I was a small child, no one in my area was able to preform it. Ted Kennedy went to Duke when he was fighting that terminal illness he had, and you know he could easily choose “the best” healthcare.

Duke, UNC, and WakeMed are excellent healthcare providers, and NC is lucky to have that many quality providers so close together.

Last edited by Raleigh72; 10-14-2020 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-14-2020, 07:56 AM

386 posts, read 436,798 times
previous two posts summarize the situation perfectly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: