Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 01:17 AM

16 posts, read 6,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Thanks for the link! Fantastic...so much info!
Yep. GIS tools are a great resource and extremely under utilized...you can layer with satellite to see property boundaries and shape...tax records, prior deed owners, topo maps, zoning, county value assessments (appraisals?) of selected property ...

Once you get the hang of creating your personalized map (adding desired annotations and removing junk) you will never not use it ever again. With really well maintained GIS, there will even be PDF attachments with loan info and stuff. Wake county did not have that (at least for my neighborhood), but for a weekend property we were looking into it did. Unfortunately knowing how much the owners leveraged in debt made us realize we would have little negotiating room. Anyway, that should give idea of how it can potentially be used even for your purchasing strategy, not just due diligence....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 05:35 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Be aware of houses in flood plains - where you may not expect it. I have several neighbors in that position. Houses near creeks (sometimes dry creek beds that drain to retention ponds) and greenways may need flood insurance. I have several neighbors who need it because their houses are near these things. Coming from NY the clay soil and creeks are going to be something new to do deal with.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:01 AM

129 posts, read 115,737 times
We bought a house a few months ago that has french drains in the back, I don't know about the large holes you are referring to though, trying to picture that. It's fairly common in our area, we are near a flood zone and lots of small original homes being replaced with much larger homes. We sit slightly lower than our neighbors and have a walkout basement, so have lots of water to deal with when it rains heavily. We were told we were at our max for impermeable surface on our property.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:39 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Thanks! So, it's not something you would replace prior to moving in? Have heard different prices on costs to replace, from 5k to 15k. How long of a job is it to replace...few days?
Yes just a few days. I have not been in that market for a few years, but the last house I sold that had it had a quote of about $3K to replace. It's very possible that the cost has gone up since I lived there.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:48 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
My first house was built in the late 80s (I bought around 93). It was that first wave of big national builders in Cary. Built on a slab with polybutylene plumbing and Masonite siding. Awful. We had 2 different L-shaped pipe connectors fail and flood the place. The pipes themselves never had an issue. We got money in a lawsuit and sold that place as fast as we could.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:03 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
My first house was built in the late 80s (I bought around 93). It was that first wave of big national builders in Cary. Built on a slab with polybutylene plumbing and Masonite siding. Awful. We had 2 different L-shaped pipe connectors fail and flood the place. The pipes themselves never had an issue. We got money in a lawsuit and sold that place as fast as we could.

Yeah the connectors are the problems. Realtor and inspector both told me that.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:19 PM

396 posts, read 434,675 times
Thanks, everyone for the great advice! A lot of issues to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCdad1234 View Post
Yep. GIS tools are a great resource and extremely under utilized...you can layer with satellite to see property boundaries and shape...tax records, prior deed owners, topo maps, zoning, county value assessments (appraisals?) of selected property ...

Once you get the hang of creating your personalized map (adding desired annotations and removing junk) you will never not use it ever again. With really well maintained GIS, there will even be PDF attachments with loan info and stuff. Wake county did not have that (at least for my neighborhood), but for a weekend property we were looking into it did. Unfortunately knowing how much the owners leveraged in debt made us realize we would have little negotiating room. Anyway, that should give idea of how it can potentially be used even for your purchasing strategy, not just due diligence....

I can't believe all the info on there! On the site it states the house has: Creedmoor sandy loam, 6 to 10 percent slopes, eroded.

Not sure what that means or if it is problematic?

Old 10-16-2020, 06:27 PM

16 posts, read 6,734 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone for the great advice! A lot of issues to consider.

I can't believe all the info on there! On the site it states the house has: Creedmoor sandy loam, 6 to 10 percent slopes, eroded.

Not sure what that means or if it is problematic?
Haha YES that’s the kind of soil stuff I was talking about. You can look into the codes and get more detail (google and it will find deep in the bowls of Dept of agriculture of something)...anyway, where it gets useful, is when you look into the specifics of the soil drainage characteristics AND the type of flora that the soil can support. If it’s horribly drained and will likely not support grass or shrubs, probably lost cause or expensive land improvement...the document I’m thinking of that was super helpful is standardized. So for each soil type it would be broken down into sections on hydrology, flora, fauna, city and agricultural land use potential blah blah. So once you find that gem, it goes pretty smoothly

Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yeah the connectors are the problems. Realtor and inspector both told me that.
The connectors are definitely the biggest. Followed by too tight of a bend in the pipe itself. That tends to split and spray a really fine mist all over.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:18 AM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Creedmoor Sandy Loam is a common series (type) of soil in the Triassic Basin. The basin covers an area from Durham County down to Anson County. https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/e...nk-swell-clays Triassic soils are notorious for being poorly drained. Septic drain fields and wells don't function and water from the wells that do function is foul tasting.

Some of the western parts of Cary are located within the basin and I'd guess that the OP is/was looking at a house in that area. Developers of housing and commercial projects there requested that the areas be annexed into Cary so that water and sewer services would be provided by the town. Hence the reason that Cary's town limits extend all the way into portions of Chatham County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary