Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 07:57 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,001 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of someone who offers this service in the Triangle area? I'm finding it very difficult to locate someone who can do this. There's a high-end outfit in Greensboro, but the cost is way beyond what we can afford. We live in a very old house and most of the double-hung windows are in desperate need of repair (ropes and/or chains broken, some wood rot, a couple of cracked panes), to the point where we can't even open them, etc. One person, a carpenter, said he could "fix" them, but after he simply nailed a window shut so it didn't slip, I realized that the search was not over. Anyway, any recommendations of folks who know how to do this and do it properly? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 AM

773 posts, read 645,548 times
If you're not in a local historic district you'll be better off with replacement. Here are some existing threads that may help:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...storation.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...ow-repair.html

Old 10-25-2020, 05:27 AM

43,267 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Does anyone know of someone who offers this service in the Triangle area? I'm finding it very difficult to locate someone who can do this. There's a high-end outfit in Greensboro, but the cost is way beyond what we can afford. We live in a very old house and most of the double-hung windows are in desperate need of repair (ropes and/or chains broken, some wood rot, a couple of cracked panes), to the point where we can't even open them, etc. One person, a carpenter, said he could "fix" them, but after he simply nailed a window shut so it didn't slip, I realized that the search was not over. Anyway, any recommendations of folks who know how to do this and do it properly? Thanks.
The wood rot...
How much and how extensive? Do you need to have new sashes made, sills replaced, both of which should match up with original profiles?
Or is it just a matter of some minor repairs?

Other than that, the repairs you list are fairly simple handyman stuff, and you just haven't located the right handyman yet.
You might talk to neighbors and see who they use.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:49 PM

498 posts, read 853,967 times
If you ever figure this out, please share! I've been trying to get Double Hung in Greensboro to do my windows for over a year. I'm about at the point of hiring a millwork place to make the sashes then doing the glass and glazing ourselves. I'd need Double Hung (or who?) to install them, though, as the whole system needs to be done.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:29 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
I'd suggest contacting Greg Paul Builders and see if they have a window restoration guy. Greg does a lot of work in Cameron Park and Oakwood in downtown Raleigh.

Whether you'll like what it costs to get a "dying trade" to do what you want is TBD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary